DC Sound Lab

Couple of questions to the music Gods on here!

Current setup is two DC level 5 12in M2 DVC, one 3.5K, Mechman 240amp alt, Big 3 done, only zero gauge wiring to the amp, 4th order bandpass box, 2 D3400's ( I know, should have gotten 3100, but didn't know at the time).

The question is.. I wanted to get another 3.5k and wire down to 1ohm each per sub, but space is getting limited at the moment. Should I sell the 3.5K I have now and get a 7.5k? Can the subs handle it? What about a 9k? Or even 10k? Don't wanna blow them up, but looking at the space issues with adding another 3.5k.

Thanks for all advice and suggestions!

Couple of questions to the music Gods on here!

Current setup is two DC level 5 12in M2 DVC, one 3.5K, Mechman 240amp alt, Big 3 done, only zero gauge wiring to the amp, 4th order bandpass box, 2 D3400's ( I know, should have gotten 3100, but didn't know at the time).

The question is.. I wanted to get another 3.5k and wire down to 1ohm each per sub, but space is getting limited at the moment. Should I sell the 3.5K I have now and get a 7.5k? Can the subs handle it? What about a 9k? Or even 10k? Don't wanna blow them up, but looking at the space issues with adding another 3.5k.

Thanks for all advice and suggestions!

I wouldn't be scared to run a 10k on those. The rms rating on DC subs is pretty conservative, just make sure your gain is set perfectly or you will destroy the coils.

And this is where I'd liked to get schooled on. Tuning is an issue for me.. I'm using a clarion Crossover as well as a clarion EQ. And then the head unit has a whole bunch of settings as well. You're sayin if all those are set properly, I can get a 10k and play conservatively? I would probably take it to somewhere to get tuned and also would have to get more batteries, but it can take a 10k? Wired down to 2 ohms?

And this is where I'd liked to get schooled on. Tuning is an issue for me.. I'm using a clarion Crossover as well as a clarion EQ. And then the head unit has a whole bunch of settings as well. You're sayin if all those are set properly, I can get a 10k and play conservatively? I would probably take it to somewhere to get tuned and also would have to get more batteries, but it can take a 10k? Wired down to 2 ohms?

Hell with everything set properly you should be able to get the full output of that amp to those subs no problem. A common misconseption with setting gains is that it directly controls how many watts are coming out of the amp, this is not true. Setting gain is matching the amps input RCA voltage to the head units output RCA voltage, at least thats how it's been explained to me. Setting the gain too high will induce clipping, which means the signal (think of it as a sound wave) has flat spots at the top and bottom of the wave, which will then transfer through the amp and into the sub. Keep in mind that there is a lot more to it and frankly i'm no expert, there are people on here that are a lot more knowledgable and can give you a much better explaination.

Hell with everything set properly you should be able to get the full output of that amp to those subs no problem. A common misconseption with setting gains is that it directly controls how many watts are coming out of the amp, this is not true. Setting gain is matching the amps input RCA voltage to the head units output RCA voltage, at least thats how it's been explained to me. Setting the gain too high will induce clipping, which means the signal (think of it as a sound wave) has flat spots at the top and bottom of the wave, which will then transfer through the amp and into the sub. Keep in mind that there is a lot more to it and frankly i'm no expert, there are people on here that are a lot more knowledgable and can give you a much better explaination.

Clean in and clean out is what you want... Setting the gains properly, provided you also know when the headunit clips should give you full CLEAN power out of an amp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

2010 Chevy  HHR Panel (Work in progress)

Pioneer AVHX-5800BHS

McLaren MLM880's and MLT2's 2ea per door on a DC 175.4

Two DC Audio M4 Level 5 15's On A DC5K

Alt CES 200/270+

4ea Banks of Maxwell 2.7v 3000f caps for a total of 2000f

1ea XS 3100 and 2ea NSB FT170 Batts for 450+ah 

Not a HUGE build but here it is... DC Audio HHR Build

TDH-skater229.jpg
SkaterLogo.jpg