Second Skin Audio

Shape of Port Opening Affecting Tuning

DLHgn

If you were to have a wedged shape box (slanted face is facing out towards seats) and you put the opening of the port on the slanted face, how would that affect tuning?

gCu2iRV.png?1

Disregard the size of the opening and how close it is to the sub. This was just made to have a visual representation of what i'm trying to describe.

You can see the opening of the port on the far right.

I wouldn't worry about the external end of the port being in a slanted surface but your port area ratio is way to high, ideally you want height / width of the port to be about 6 to 1 or less.

Yeah, like I said, the picture was just so people had a visual reference. I know it's way too skinny.

Also for the port to function you will need clearance between the port external end and anything if front of it, if you put that box right against the back seats most likely it's not going to work well at all.

How much clearance do you suppose would be enough?

measure the length of port at the top (short part) and at the bottom (long part) and divide by two, or simply measure down the center. That is what the length is.

measure the length of port at the top (short part) and at the bottom (long part) and divide by two, or simply measure down the center. That is what the length is.

Thank you. That's what I kind of figured but I wasn't too sure. I would rather ask than assume. I'll be creating another thread with the actual design with the correct port and what not to be reviewed if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it.

I wouldn't worry about the external end of the port being in a slanted surface but your port area ratio is way to high, ideally you want height / width of the port to be about 6 to 1 or less.

Yeah, like I said, the picture was just so people had a visual reference. I know it's way too skinny.

Also for the port to function you will need clearance between the port external end and anything if front of it, if you put that box right against the back seats most likely it's not going to work well at all.

How much clearance do you suppose would be enough?

In your case at least the same as the width of the port.

Archived