Second Skin Audio

Blew a 12" Kicker Comp R, thinking Skar Audio to replace?

Its a mono amp more than likely bridged internally so its the same either way you wire it. At least the 3 amps i have owned have been bridged...

I do believe the kicker just couldn't hang. The gain and bass boost were turned up just a hair on the amp. I kind of thought the clipping or distorting was the blaring noise I kept hearing. I would adjust the bass on my stereo (factory toyota stereo) accordingly, but guess it was still clipping or distorting and I couldn't tell as clearly as some other songs I listened to and it blew the sub. But before I set it all as low as it was, it was higher, and I kept pushing it and pushing it. I think it was already half damaged and then I just finished it off today. Oh well. I know better now. Just hope the dual 4 ohm sub I have coming won't screw up the amp. Should I wire that parallel since it's the only sub?

the amp might be bad

Maybe. That will blow a sub? 500 watts RMS on a 1200-1500 watt amp, even if the amp is only 600 -750 RMS that's still overpowering the sub. And I was turning the bass up on the stereo to 5 (max) at times and sometimes down to -5 (lowest) others. The guy I bought it from said he only had the sub for 3 weeks before I bought it from him and I only had it a couple of days. The first day I had it I smelled what I am guessing was the sub heating up, but it also was set to 1 ohm, on the selector of the sub. Maybe I should have switched it to 4. Oh well, I will wait for the new sub to come and see what happens. If I end up having to buy another amp then so be it.

A quick Google tells me that's an elevation audio dx 1500.1,

Well thank you. I will surely use what you said you found to find out what the dang things impedance is. Thank you! I tried google, but nothing beyond dx1500.1 which was pulling up some kicker amp and I knew that this amp surely isn't a kicker.

A quick Google tells me that's an elevation audio dx 1500.1,

Thanks again. According to this page http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/mono-amplifiers/146595-elevation-audio-dx-1500-1-sundown-saz1500.html

this amp is supposedly the same as a sundown? And says 1500 watts at 1 ohm, so if I had the sub set to 1 ohm and hooked up to this amp then it was getting all the amps power when it could only handle 1000 max? Which way would I want to wire a 4ohm dual coil sub to it to prevent blowing the sub out like I did this kicker comp r I had hooked up to this thing? I imagine when it comes I will just take it and my empty enclosure to the stereo shop here where I live and have them wire it and connect it to the amp and set my gains and everything for me, if they will do that. I imagine they will, since they will be making a nice chunk of change tinting my windows for me.

if it is that amp you had 2000 watts going to that sub

It's elevation audio, I know that I finally saw a picture of it from the guy that posted previously who had said it was elevation audio. Not sure how he found it, or so quick, but glad he did. The sub was set on 1ohm, and if in fact the amp will go above 1500 rms up to near 2000 then that was the issue. I in the end had the gain turned down but kept smelling this barn smell when I would push some volume on my stereo. Leather smell is the best way I can explain what it smelled like. I had just changed my cabin air filter in my car for my air conditioner and thought that was the funny smell I was smelling. How many watts would the amp have been pushing with the gain down almost to 0 though? It could be it was already damaged from the previous owner and from me as well before I turned the gain down to 0, and then it just finally went to kicker heaven. Kicker is sh%& I won't ever pay my money for anything kicker again. I went to best buy before I bought this amp and sub from this kid, and the amp I was trying out was a kicker 1200 I think it was hooked up to two kicker comp r, and it just continuously kept cutting out and stuff. Salesman acted pissed off when I told him hell no when he said "So did you wanna pick these up today"?

if it is that amp you had 2000 watts going to that sub

It's elevation audio, I know that I finally saw a picture of it from the guy that posted previously who had said it was elevation audio. Not sure how he found it, or so quick, but glad he did.

Iq3b8ot.jpg

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived