Second Skin Audio

Port area for 4 sundown x 12s?

RooTxBeeR

I have been battling between build set ups to go with. 2 18's, 2 15's, 3 12's, 4 12's, 10's. See what has the most cone area while still being able to meet a 32hz tune, port area requirements, and be just at or a tad over on box size. It looks like 4 12's just might fucking work, and that is 450sqin of cone area, 2 15's is 350 and and 3 12's is just less than that. So I really want to see if this can fit. I am at the damn near max dimensions I have available. I am trying to build a 10cuft net box, 32hz tuned, but I don't know how much port area would be good for 4. I will be running them on 2200-2500 watts a piece on good electrical. What amount of port area would be their best match on that power? I looked at SA's designs, the single drive has 32sqin of port where the dual has 73, which is 36.5 each. So don't know what to go with on this one. It will all be in a 2004 ford escape, behind the rear seats, sup up port up.

Edit: Right now I have with .75 wood, 1 baffle board which I would like more if I can. 32hz, 10.25cuft, 146sqin port. However, I feel like with 4 12's on damn near 10k, that isn't thick enough wood, and would try 1 inch. However at the max dimensions, with 1in wood. I can only get that same port area and tune, with 9.5cuft. I want to be on the larger side if I can, want to have very deep, low bass.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

i was running 126 sqin of port with my 4 sa-12's on two 1500's tuned to 32hz.

Should I change the title? I am lookint at 4 x 12's. I only added the SA so people don't confuse a Sundown X with a FI X

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I'm traveling right now so I can't see what kind of port velocity you are going to get. Just a guess though I think you are going to be around 180-200 sq in. Sundown recommends 40 sq in per sub, and that's on RMS power

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm traveling right now so I can't see what kind of port velocity you are going to get. Just a guess though I think you are going to be around 180-200 sq in. Sundown recommends 40 sq in per sub, and that's on RMS power

That's why I was questioning it. From their designs, 1 sub need 32 at rms, where 2 needs 73(36.5ea) at rms. I am over RMS so should I just double one of those? Use more and multiply by 4? If I need 200sqin I don't think I can run 4 12's :/

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Big difference in x and sa lol.

Very much so, as well a big difference in sundown X and fi X lol.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I used http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 calc and that is telling me 210 min port area lol, and sundown says 40 each, not 55 lol. I feel like there would be a huge difference between 160sq in and 210 sq in. I know there is a difference because I canot fit a 10cuft box tuned to 32hz with more than 180sqin of port.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

That calculator at carstereo.com doen't take into account how much power you are going to be running. I don't put a lot of faith into it because of that.

I got a chance to take a look at what kind of port velocity you should be getting. Ideally I like to keep port velocity below 22- 24 m/sec or so, however there comes a point where if you are putting so much power into a system it begins to make it difficult to get a large enough port to keep port velocity reasonable. You are close to that point. Even with 50 sq in of port area per sub the port velocity is still near 30 m/sec. 30 m/sec is really the upper limit IMHO.

Since space is really at a premium you are going to have to make a design compromise somewhere. I'd try to keep your port area up as much as you can, even if it means sacrificing a little net volume to do so. As a rough estimate, dropping from 200 to 160 sq in of port area will cost you at least 1 db of output, which is about what you would lose from going down from 10 cu ft net down to 8 cu ft. Again, those are just rough estimates. I can't say for certain what's going to work best, this is just some things to consider.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived