Second Skin Audio

Port size questions

GSanders17

I was hoping someone could explain to me why a slot port would be larger or more narrow on the back fold? Meaning if I had a box design that called for 48 sq in port and a boxed was designed with a 4x12 port why would a box builder make the back fold that runs parallel to the back wall more narrow like 3.5" or 2" or whatever. What does that do to surface area, tuning, etc.? Why the hell would they make it larger and what does that do to those other factors. I'm refering to a box with a single slot port.

Other than flares at the ends and a couple very specific exceptions, a port should have consistent cross sectional area over its entire length, if it doesn't the designer/builder probably doesn't know what they are doing.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Dude just messed up the enclosure . .no one that knows audio would do that on purpose. . If you had someone build that for you ask them why they did it and let us know what they say

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

If it's a standard ported enclosure, I don't see any real reason you would do that. Do what frogcase said and ask the builder and let us know what he says because either

A.) He is a genius and knows something magical about enclosures that we don't

or

B.) He made a goof/doesn't know what he's doing

...I'm leaning more towards the latter of the two...

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured there was no good reason to do that but wanted to ask here as I'm not as knowledgeable of enclosure design as I would like to be. I know enough to figure net box volume and tuning but that's if the port is the same width throughout. We have a guy that builds boxes for where I work and for the most part does a good job, solid construction, never had one break apart, good carpeting, etc but we have had a few boxes that looked wrong to me and I figured the tuning on some to be around 45hz. Way too high when the manufacturer doesn't recommend more than 40. He built one box that was way off and when we called he said look at the inside port wall so I looked and realized it was about half the width of the the one to the front of the box. He never specified what that meant and I didn't ask because I don't know enough about design to question it, although I should have.

Archived