Second Skin Audio

Want to change me box

RooTxBeeR

So my buddy is going to let me use his rf t1000bd. On my old setup I had a aq750.1 running @2ohms so it was about 500w to a single skar ivx-15. Now I have 2 ivx-15's that I'll run at 1ohm on this t1000bd so about 500 each. My box right now is 8cuft tuned to 32hz with 4 4in aeros giving me 50sqin of Port. I already ran theses subs in this box and it's to much power for the box. I really don't want to build a new box, would like to modify this one to accommodate for the extra power. So my question is, running 500 watts to that sub, how much space would it work best in, right now it's 4cuft per. I'm at 25sqin of Port per sub, would I leave that or also need to adjust that for the extra power?

Edit: forgot to mention, right now the subs are getting about 350w per with the current box specs, going to be jumping to 500w per so looking for the adjustments that need to made to accommodate change in power.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

What is it about the box that won't handle an extra 150w per sub?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

What is it about the box that won't handle an extra 150w per sub?

I honestly think that the box is to big. I ran these subs on that amp before and bottomed it out soooo easily, but back when I had a single sub on same power in its own box, rarely would it bottom out. I don't remember those specs. To top it off, these subs are old, their suspension is looser than the neighborhood where, so just trying to keep it under control. If port are wouldn't need to be changed I'll just start adding 2x4's until the interval volume is making it running better

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

If you reduce the volume of the box then the port will need to be longer to keep the same tuning.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

If you reduce the volume of the box then the port will need to be longer to keep the same tuning.

Copy on that one, I have aeros so I might be better of just building new lmao

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Wow, I jsut found my old box set up for my single ivx 15 on 500 watts. Was a 3.5cuft box tuned to 28hz with 43sqin of port, with a slot port. Right now I have a 8cuft box tuned to 32hz with 50sqin of port, aero's and 300-350 per sub. Very interesting.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

That's interesting that you are bottoming the subs out on your current box. 500 watts of amp power into 400 watts subs isn't anywhere near an abusive level of power. 4 cf a piece is a bit on the large side, but isn't unreasonably so. Cone excursion shouldn't get too crazy until you get around 25 hz and below. The first thing that pops into my mind is that maybe you aren't actually tuned to 32 hz, have you checked by watching cone excursion to verify where the tuning is?

I got your PM, if you want to build a smaller, lower tuned box you could stick with the same amount or port area you have now. Four 4" ports should work fine, a single 8" would be my preference though or a slot port. If you want to use a slot port, a port of at least 60 sq in should work well. You could go bigger, but it probably won't gain you anything.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

That's interesting that you are bottoming the subs out on your current box. 500 watts of amp power into 400 watts subs isn't anywhere near an abusive level of power. 4 cf a piece is a bit on the large side, but isn't unreasonably so. Cone excursion shouldn't get too crazy until you get around 25 hz and below. The first thing that pops into my mind is that maybe you aren't actually tuned to 32 hz, have you checked by watching cone excursion to verify where the tuning is?

I got your PM, if you want to build a smaller, lower tuned box you could stick with the same amount or port area you have now. Four 4" ports should work fine, a single 8" would be my preference though or a slot port. If you want to use a slot port, a port of at least 60 sq in should work well. You could go bigger, but it probably won't gain you anything.

I haven't checked by watching the excursion. The subs I have though are the v1's, which where rated at 300 watts. I don't know the technical details between the different versions but if that has an effect I don't know. I might actually be tuned higher than I think. Usually when I bottom out it is pretty close under tuning, that is if I am actually tuned to 32hz. I am going to go slot port, don't want to buy a bunch of materials, just a sheet of wood and call it a day. Thanks for the reply man. Really appreciate it.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I would just get bigger ports and with them tuning low they will need to be longer and will be bigger so it will make the cf of the enclosure smaller

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

I would just get bigger ports and with them tuning low they will need to be longer and will be bigger so it will make the cf of the enclosure smaller

That's investing good money though, trying to invest little to nothing for this change. I have a sheet of wood chilling, just going to build a new box

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm