Second Skin Audio

Enclosure Design Review And Feedback Request

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the specs on that simulation (net volume, tuning, etc)?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

What are the specs on that simulation (net volume, tuning, etc)?

15 cubes, two PSI Platform 1 18s (entered as accurately as possible). Vent is square, 5 x 27.5 with a length of 37.99 and the box tuning is 20 Hz. This has been the flattest curve I could achieve without going either way to small and sealed, or way to large and ported (or without putting in a weird tuning value like 2 Hz)

15 cubes, two PSI Platform 1 18s (entered as accurately as possible). Vent is square, 5 x 27.5 with a length of 37.99 and the box tuning is 20 Hz. This has been the flattest curve I could achieve without going either way to small and sealed, or way to large and ported (or without putting in a weird tuning value like 2 Hz)

Ok, so here are a couple things to keep in mind.

Cabin gain is going to boost the low frequency output quite a bit. Trying to achieve a flat frequency response in WinISD isn't productive since the sub is going to sound a lot different in the vehicle.

In a ported box you are going to get a peak in output in the 40-50 Hz range pretty much no matter what you do. This sub is pretty high QTS (due to low motor force for the amount of cone area it has, a common issue with 15" & 18" subs), and that's just what you get with high QTS subs in ported boxes. I'd tune to about 30 hz and make the box as big as you can fit. If running sealed is something you would consider, this sub would do well in a sealed box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

What about a bandpass box? I really am stuck in the loop here. Maybe looking for a different drive would be prudent. I want the ported box for when I want to show off/listen to that kinda music. But at the same time, I also listen to alot of rock.

I think I've been approaching this all wrong: picking a speaker and then trying to make it fit my wants. When really, what I should be doing is picking the driver to fit my wants right from the beginning

I think I've been approaching this all wrong: picking a speaker and then trying to make it fit my wants. When really, what I should be doing is picking the driver to fit my wants right from the beginning

Yup, you will know better for next time at least!

Your subs would work well in a bandpass box, however it not going to really get any louder than a ported box would, it would just a bit different frequency response and it would have to be huge. I don't know what kind of space you have to work with.

If you did want to go for a bandpass box, something like 8 cu ft sealed, 16 cu ft ported tuned to 45 Hz would be a good starting point.

Builds:

Your subs would work well in a bandpass box, however it not going to really get any louder than a ported box would, it would just a bit different frequency response and it would have to be huge. I don't know what kind of space you have to work with.

If you did want to go for a bandpass box, something like 8 cu ft sealed, 16 cu ft ported tuned to 45 Hz would be a good starting point.

I have a maximum of 45 cubes to work with (in a bandpass setup where I don't have to worry about clearance for excursion). My goal is to do this as a Christmas present for myself. I'm thinking I might start over by better identifying my wants/needs and going from there with no bias towards any brands and starting "blank-sheet". I'm also considering documenting the process, just so that there's atleast something floating around that's an in-depth look at what it's like to be a beginner.

I have a maximum of 45 cubes to work with (in a bandpass setup where I don't have to worry about clearance for excursion). My goal is to do this as a Christmas present for myself. I'm thinking I might start over by better identifying my wants/needs and going from there with no bias towards any brands and starting "blank-sheet". I'm also considering documenting the process, just so that there's atleast something floating around that's an in-depth look at what it's like to be a beginner.

Lol you want to see what it's like to be a beginner? I wrote down a whole bunch of stuff in a notebook when designing my first enclosure for a Home Theater setup and it's painful and funny to go back and read through it. To see all of my funky designs and handwritten equations. I also made a pretty decent sized list of subs and amps to use (for some reason I didn't know PA amps existed so I was considering car amps)...like I said...painful lmao

Archived