DD-1 and DSP

In the DD-1 manual, it says set the headunit's EQ to flat before setting gains on an amp...do you also have to set a DSP's EQ to flat?

Because my 1kHz band on my midwoofers is set to -6dB because of a huge bump they give me when I measured with my UMIK-1.

If I left that band at -6dB and then proceeded to set my amp's gain using the 1kHz test tone, what would happen? Would the DD-1 disregard the DSP's EQ, or would it take into account the -6dB attenuation when setting the amp's gain in which case all other bands would most likely be clipped?

Yes, everything must be flat.

Most DSPs allow you to save settings so you can reapply them at a later time without having to do all the messing around again.

With the dsp being at -6db it would be tuning it as if there was just a weak signal, the DD-1 would not pick up its -6db slope.

What could happen? Well since the channel is set at -6db when you are using the dd-1 on that channel you will end up with a higher gain setting due to the lack of signal it is receiving due to the -6db setting.

So more then likely your mid will play as if it was before you added your -6db slope. Which should make the current -6 setting useless or as if it was at 0db, but if you go and change it to 0db currently after tuning with it at -6db it would be mad distorted.

Most DSPs allow you to save settings so you can reapply them at a later time without having to do all the messing around again.

With the dsp being at -6db it would be tuning it as if there was just a weak signal, the DD-1 would not pick up its -6db slope.

What could happen? Well since the channel is set at -6db when you are using the dd-1 on that channel you will end up with a higher gain setting due to the lack of signal it is receiving due to the -6db setting.

So more then likely your mid will play as if it was before you added your -6db slope. Which should make the current -6 setting useless or as if it was at 0db, but if you go and change it to 0db currently after tuning with it at -6db it would be mad distorted.

I can't remember what exactly my bands are EQ'd at in my DSP, but let's say 400Hz is at -.7dB, 715Hz is at 0dB, 1000Hz is at -6dB, and 2000Hz is at +1dB. The DD-1 uses a 1000Hz signal to set the gain right? So if I didn't first flatten the EQ in my DSP, it would treat the -6dB band as it's baseline when setting the gain, then 715Hz would effectively be +6dB, and 2000Hz would effectively be +7dB right? And that would result in massive clipping, right?

Edited by exospire

• 7 months later...
On 9/25/2016 at 6:37 PM, exospire said:

I can't remember what exactly my bands are EQ'd at in my DSP, but let's say 400Hz is at -.7dB, 715Hz is at 0dB, 1000Hz is at -6dB, and 2000Hz is at +1dB. The DD-1 uses a 1000Hz signal to set the gain right? So if I didn't first flatten the EQ in my DSP, it would treat the -6dB band as it's baseline when setting the gain, then 715Hz would effectively be +6dB, and 2000Hz would effectively be +7dB right? And that would result in massive clipping, right?

DD1 is checking the electrical signal, your DSP adjustments are to change the behavior of the physical signal leaving the speakers which aren't being measured by the DD1, that's picked up on your measurement mic. You should set your gains with everything flat using the dd1 and no speakers hooked up, then go back through and do your EQ measurements with your mic and make sure it still behaves properly, the level is changing so it may need a little adjustment but the curve should be generally the same.  So at the end of the day after you flat everything for your gains and restore your eq settings, you'll probably still have a -6dB at 1000Hz or if the gains were way off it might be even steeper cut

On 9/25/2016 at 6:26 PM, audiofanaticz said:

i'm doing a active sq build using the pioneer avh-x4800bs and frockford fostgate prime amps the r600.4d  1200.1d and using the jl audio twk-88 how do i set my gains