Power question.

What's up?

Anyways, I'm planning on building a system for my car and I'm not going to have enough juice with my stock equipment. My system will unclude:

2x Cadence Ultrashock A7HC 1400wrms@1ohm

Cadence Ultrashock A4 4 x 200wrms@1ohm

2x Fosgate P1694 6/9" 75wrms each

2x Infinity PR6500cs Coaxal/Tweater set 80wrms each

2x RE Sxxv2 15D2 1200wrms each

(Or) 4x Fosgate P3 15D4 600wrms each.

For electrical I have a stock 80A alt and stock battery. Big 3 with 2/0 wire, and 2/0 running to a 2F cap to a distribution block.

I am pretty sure I am going to need at least a 300-500A extra battery. Not sure if I'll need another cap, or if even another cap can replace an extra battery. I'm almst certain I'll need a HO alt or at least another stock alt.

I'm trying to get away cheap here since I'm trying to pay for school right now. Could I get a bat, and another stock alt and still be above 13.5V?

Oh, and any suggestions on what I should get for electrical in my system?

2001 Tahoe

No system. Not even aftermarket headunit.

You sure that 4 channel is 1ohm stable? Most are only rated down to 2ohm.

An extra battery in the back should be sufficient. Nobody here is going to agree with me but you'll be fine with the stock alt. Don't bother with any more caps, 0g wire will be fine too, can always add another run later on if you upgrade.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

I'd say snatch a high output alternator. You can probably grab one for just a little bit more than a battery would cost. I don't know what kind of car you have, but I grabbed a Mechman for my Tahoe for around $450 and it came the very next day. Great alternator too.

I ran my Lancer on stock 85 amp alt with 3 batteries & o gauge runs. Voltage dropped in to low 11's. Singer 220 amp and drops into mid 12's from 14.2 at full tilt. Running 4 amps: T400-2, 2 x T400-4 & 1 T1500 for CLOSE TO 3200 WATTS.

Keep your batteris charged often and watch your voltage drop, know when to back off so you dont damage anything.

You sure that 4 channel is 1ohm stable? Most are only rated down to 2ohm.

An extra battery in the back should be sufficient. Nobody here is going to agree with me but you'll be fine with the stock alt. Don't bother with any more caps, 0g wire will be fine too, can always add another run later on if you upgrade.

I already have the 2/0 run with my current set up. And I'm pretty sure its 1 ohm stable. Class AB amp. The damn thing is huge. Has 8 different ways I can use it, with a knob that let's me choose which way.

2001 Tahoe

I'd say snatch a high output alternator. You can probably grab one for just a little bit more than a battery would cost. I don't know what kind of car you have, but I grabbed a Mechman for my Tahoe for around $450 and it came the very next day. Great alternator too.

I talked with Mechman and the highest amps for my car I can get is a 200A alt, and it'd cost me close to $400. I don't have that cash, that's why I was thinking about just throwing another stock one in line just to charge the battery(s) I'll get.

2001 Tahoe

I ran my Lancer on stock 85 amp alt with 3 batteries & o gauge runs. Voltage dropped in to low 11's. Singer 220 amp and drops into mid 12's from 14.2 at full tilt. Running 4 amps: T400-2, 2 x T400-4 & 1 T1500 for CLOSE TO 3200 WATTS.

Keep your batteris charged often and watch your voltage drop, know when to back off so you dont damage anything.

How low in voltage can I get before I start damaging stuff? I don't know when to back off.

2001 Tahoe

Amps should shut off at around 10v or so but you shouldn't really let it get that low anyway. The people that designed the amp know best, look at whatever recommended voltage range is and as long as it's within that you're golden.

A second stock alt isn't worth it since you still have to pay someone to fabricate a bracket and align and tension the belt and stuff unless you are comfortable doing that.

Put a good battery in the back first. You should be fine with that, but if you have voltage issues can decide what else to add.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

I can make a braket if I need to.

Anyways, do you have any suggestions for a battery? With this setup I should be needing 300-500A worth of power. So I'll just get a 500A battery. Something that's not too spendy since I'm on a budget.

2001 Tahoe

Archived