Dual Battery Setup Question

Hey,

Have a question about setting up dual batteries. I have a XSpower 3400 under the hood and a XS975 I wanted to use in the trunk....Running 3 Rockford Fosgate amps. Would adding the battery in the back help keep the voltage good to the amps while the car is running or would it just be more of a drain on the ALT. Didnt know if the 18ft run of 1/0G was able to support the amps alone figured adding the battery in the back would give it the power right there it need.

Thank you

For one, you need to make sure the wires of the front battery to the rear battery are capable of transferring current efficiently under load. If you don't have a volt meter hooked up, get one. Then wire it off the biggest rear amplifier inputs. As long as the wiring is correct, adding the second battery should benefit you and act as a buffer for your alternator to an extent, but every once in a while you will have to probably back off the volume and let the batteries catch back up.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

For one, you need to make sure the wires of the front battery to the rear battery are capable of transferring current efficiently under load. If you don't have a volt meter hooked up, get one. Then wire it off the biggest rear amplifier inputs. As long as the wiring is correct, adding the second battery should benefit you and act as a buffer for your alternator to an extent, but every once in a while you will have to probably back off the volume and let the batteries catch back up.

Thanks for the info...Plan to run one run of 1/0 Knuconcepts Wire from + to + ....would I need to run - to - also or can i ground the second battery in the trunk.

I'll have a Volt meter for the car itself and I'll have SMD VM and OM hook up to the Amps..

I'd add the battery. I see a lot of people say that adding a battery is just a drain on the alt but I've been doing it for years on a lot of different cars and alternators and I didn't have a problem.

Thanks man, Just wanted to make sure, I know the ALT runs the system while the engine is running. But i wanted to add the Battery to like said give the amps the voltage they need right there and not down 18ft of wire kind of like a Cap but better. I don't plan right now to be running the system for long while the engine is off.

An extra battery isn't that much extra of a strain on an alt, until you start draining both batteries. If you are constantly draining batteries with your car off then using the alt to recharge drained batteries can end badly for the alt.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

An extra battery isn't that much extra of a strain on an alt, until you start draining both batteries. If you are constantly draining batteries with your car off then using the alt to recharge drained batteries can end badly for the alt.

Awesome....Appreciate all the info from you guys

When hooking up dual batteries + to + fused both ends got that ....do the - and - need to be connected to each other or can the back battery be grounded in the trunk

Run the ground through a hole in the floor to connect straight to the frame.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived