Second Skin Audio

Sound difference in port tuning

prodigal_son

I've done a lot of reading and if I understand this right, a properly sized and built box tuned for 35hz will be louder than a properly built and sized box tuned for 32hz, but the 32hz box will have tighter base and maybe be a little more musical, is that correct? Is the difference really apparent? I'm planning on using two SA-12s on somewhere between 1000 and 1500 watts in a Civic coupe. I appreciate any insight you can give me.

The difference between a 35 Hz and a 32 Hz tuning is going to be really small. Most likely imperceptible in most situations. If you are competing for numbers it might make more of a difference.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I have always liked 32hz. Sounded great in every build I have done.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JeepAndBass

Picture1.png.a51bb49318e5269e42f12284828c2bb6.png

My Jeep: 157.3dB @26hz Drag Style 162.3dB @36Hz Outlaw 160.7db @35hz Headrest

My Honda: 155.4dB Drag Style 158.0db Outlaw 

Comparisons on tuning and box size. you can see there is not to much difference between 35 and 32 in the same size box. when you increase box size tuning makes a bigger difference.

SA%20Comparisons_zpsoxnjk5pe.png

Very interesting! This models exactly what I wanted to see, that the 32hz box response is slightly flatter.

Thanks ckeeler11!

Just keep in mind that the frequency response won't be nearly that smooth in the vehicle.

Very interesting! This models exactly what I wanted to see, that the 32hz box response is slightly flatter.

Thanks ckeeler11!

Just keep in mind that the frequency response won't be nearly that smooth in the vehicle.

Other than active equalization, is there anything that can be done to smooth the curve?

Archived