Component set impedance reading higher at amp?

tbeats

For one you're measuring the DC resistance. First of the speakers and X-over and then with the addition of the speaker wires. Not to mention the resistance of your DMM's leads. They're all part of the equation. A DMM cannot measure impedance. Impedance changes with frequency. Resistance does not.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

Measuring the crossover? It could be anything.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the average passive component set read around 6 ohms ??? which should be perfect for an amplifier ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the average passive component set read around 6 ohms ??? which should be perfect for an amplifier ...

You can't measure the impedance of a X-over with a DMM either. DC resistance and AC impedance are NOT the same things.

Hey man, why are you trying to make things complicated ???

I know the difference between AC and DC. I've been an electronics technician for over 20 years.

We're talking car audio where the amplifier has to see a certain DC ohm load to operate correctly.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

It's you that is makiing things complicated by making statements about a topic you obviously don't fully understand. Impedance changes with frequency. Resistance does not. A speaker may be rated at 4 ohms but the load it presents to the amp doesn't remain at 4 ohms at all frequencies. A typical 4 ohm speaker can have an impedance as high as 100 or more ohms at resonance. That same speaker can also dip below 4 ohms at some frequencies. This is why you cannot measure impedance with a DMM. Amps do NOT need to see a DC resistance to operate correctly because they drive a speaker which has impedance, reactance and inductance to consider. A simple DMM cannot take all these factors into account when taking a reading.

It's you that is makiing things complicated by making statements about a topic you obviously don't fully understand. Impedance changes with frequency. Resistance does not. A speaker may be rated at 4 ohms but the load it presents to the amp doesn't remain at 4 ohms at all frequencies. A typical 4 ohm speaker can have an impedance as high as 100 or more ohms at resonance. That same speaker can also dip below 4 ohms at some frequencies. This is why you cannot measure impedance with a DMM. Amps do NOT need to see a DC resistance to operate correctly because they drive a speaker which has impedance, reactance and inductance to consider. A simple DMM cannot take all these factors into account when taking a reading.

Read my post. Did I say ANYTHING about resistance ???

Archived