Second Skin Audio

Enclosure size and port size help

Sufkayx

Hi

Im building a subwoofer enclosure for 2 12' type r subs (2kRMS) and wanted to know what size enclosure i should use. I have depth of 17 height of 15 and width of 35 max.

I was thinking around 5.5 cubes

I want to tune the box to around 32 hertz and want very low bass.

What diffrence does a larger enclosure make over a smaller one?

Also how big should i have my port i will be using a slot port but wanted to know if a port which its height is less and width is more is better than a port with a larger hight and smaller width. I was thinking a 4' wide and around 9 heigh is thw width fine?

All help appreciated

THanks for the replies.

Is there any benifits of having the port width wider than the recomended of 2' to over come port noise i was thinking 4' inches but wanted to know if there is any benifits.

Also what are the advantages of using a larger enclosure than smallwe

And advantages of using a smaller enclosure

Larger ported boxes will produce more output around tuning, which usually is desirable, but not always. They also will have higher cone excursion (less mechanical power handling) and higher group delay, which is undesirable. Smaller ported boxes are the opposite.

Alpine really undersizes their port area recommendations, you should increase it from what they say. You can make a box that should work with the space you have available, but its a tight fit. Here is an example:

4qtKFZA.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived