Sundown Audio
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wtf Is Up With Amps Today?

26 replies to this topic

ROLEXrifleman

ROLEXrifleman

SMD Five O

• Members

• 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Audio, Cars
OK, so I havent been into car audio since 1996. I may be a bit out of touch but recently I came across some stuff in the closet that made me want to get back into it. With that said this is what I've noticed so far. 1) Back in my day, if you were pushing 2k to 3k TOTAL watts, you were a Billy Bad Ass. - Today it seems that if ONE amp doesnt push at lest 1K watts you aint $hi!. 2) My Punch 200DSM weighs a ton - The neighbors kid showed me a "1000" watt fosgate that was as light as a feather 3) I pulled a series VIII Zeus out of the closet and smiled with memories in mind - went to a "sound shop" that weekend and was shown a new "zeus" and I almost started to cry 4) Stinger made one of the first tri bars for 3 one Farda caps tha cost an arm an a leg - Holy shit, 20 farad "banks"!!!!!!!!!!! 5) Soundstream - Soundstream? I might be crazy, but I wish I had the "old" days back Rant off

Rolex you sicken me.

msm-stupid-allergy-patch_zps3279d981.jpg

maademperor

maademperor

125db

• Members
  • 200 posts
back then any old banger that made alot of noise was a super system...car could sound like ass, trunk shaking and rattling louder than the music but it was all good cause you could wake the neighbors :D

ROLEXrifleman

ROLEXrifleman

SMD Five O

• Members

• 2,256 posts

back then any old banger that made alot of noise was a super system...car could sound like ass, trunk shaking and rattling louder than the music but it was all good cause you could wake the neighbors :D

LOL, No........ I didnt hang out with the guys who ran 6 12" Pyle Drivers on Coustic Amps and sherwood x-overs.

It was either that or an entire rear deck filled with 6x9's! We sure fixed a lot of thise though!

" No sir, I'm sure I've never heard on UNIC amps"

Rolex you sicken me.

Team Bassick - Kimo

Team Bassick - Kimo

160db

• 18+ All Access!

• 2,864 posts
  • Interests:dBDRA,MECA,IASCA
Makes me a nostalgic thinking about my first system. You should check out SPL2K's thread about Vintage Car Audio. LOL you said Sherwood LOL Man those wre some big ass amps for only 1000 watts. Class A all day baby. LOL

Posted Image

SteelCityGhost

SteelCityGhost

125db

• Members
  • 256 posts
X2 on the Sherwood amps. I have a friend who was running those amps in the early and mid 90s. We always talk about those days. Good times! :D

ROLEXrifleman

ROLEXrifleman

SMD Five O

• Members

• 2,256 posts

Makes me a nostalgic thinking about my first system. You should check out SPL2K's thread about Vintage Car Audio.

LOL you said Sherwood LOL
Man those wre some big ass amps for only 1000 watts. Class A all day baby. LOL

Post a link, I might have to pop some picks up.
I'm "older" school, not full blown old!

Cerwin Vega XL series baby! 2.0 cubic feet per 12" with a 2" port 6" - 8" long!

PVC pipe will never die!

Rolex you sicken me.

Team Bassick - Kimo

Team Bassick - Kimo

160db

• 18+ All Access!

• 2,864 posts

Post a link, I might have to pop some picks up.
I'm "older" school, not full blown old!

Cerwin Vega XL series baby! 2.0 cubic feet per 12" with a 2" port 6" - 8" long!

PVC pipe will never die!

http://www.stevemead...showtopic=21144

There you go bro. Jump in you'll fit right in with the discussion.

Cerwin Vegas :lol:

Posted Image

ALPINE408

ALPINE408

Beware of TROLLS

• SMD Gold Member

• 7,573 posts
That was befor class d really came into the picture I love my punch 200dsm on 2 15,s kicker comps or the ppi white art amps up to jl audio w6's back then if you had jl and ppi you were the shit end of story Ya I miss those days and those ppi amps lol
Team Chat Assholes!!!!

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

lovellsz

lovellsz

145db

• 18+ All Access!

• 1,206 posts
i had some of the ppi art series amps a few years back and i sold them on eBay not knowing anything about them other than hell i am making a killing on these with what i gave for em. I got a just a few of the rf dsm amps laying around here. I made a post a couple days ago mentioning how i was going to use my 200x2 on my 10w7 and people laughed at that idea...

Edited by lovellsz, 08 May 2008 - 02:34 PM.

RF Punch 40x2RF Punch 100x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 400x4JL Audio 10W7-3"but its only a 200 watt amp tho"

EricM9104

EricM9104

EMU is 18 Holy Fuck

• 18+ All Access!
  • 4,395 posts
  • Interests:Car audio, duh

Makes me a nostalgic thinking about my first system. You should check out SPL2K's thread about Vintage Car Audio.

LOL you said Sherwood LOL
Man those wre some big ass amps for only 1000 watts. Class A all day baby. LOL

Sherwood's crap...?? :(
<--- Owner of an Sherwood home receiver.

1997 Nissan Pickup Ext cab XE 4x4

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

ISO

ISO

Jon S out of Lancaster,OH

• 18+ All Access!
  • 3,160 posts
  • Interests:What do you think?
I've got amps from 95 to know. Its just time to get rid of some. Out with the old in with the new. Technology has changed so much. I have 3 equally rated amps spanning back to 97 to now and have ran them all in my setup and I would have to say I like my newest edition the best so far.
Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

A cap is only good if you have 0 voltage loss and want to clean up the power at the peaks of the ripples..

Boon: Don't get hung up on specs like xmax. It's probably the third-most lied about spec, after power handling and sensitivity.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

was the fact I won't get to find out whats going to happen tomorrow if I die today.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Hoo-Bangin' on the transformers
Getting my stalk on walk on "Skip skip"
Sack jacking purse snatching hoo-banging till I die
Posted Image

Team Bassick - Kimo

Team Bassick - Kimo

160db

• 18+ All Access!

• 2,864 posts

Sherwood's crap...?? :(
<--- Owner of an Sherwood home receiver.

Its just been a while since I seen a Sherwood amp in a car.

Theyuse to be long and white with green letters. Similiar to inffinity's logo.

Posted Image

EricR

EricR

TurnUp

• 18+ All Access!
  • 5,358 posts
man this brings back some memories lol. when i was 17 i had 4 pioneer impp 12's in the being pushed by 2 autotek mm40.2's all pioneer coaxials and pioneer cd player that cost me 400$, i remember that bish i had to save for a month to get it :lol: oh and all this in a 1979 plymouth valary lol

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

ROLEXrifleman

ROLEXrifleman

SMD Five O

• Members

• 2,256 posts

I made a post a couple days ago mentioning how i was going to use my 200x2 on my 10w7 and people laughed at that idea...

I just got a 12w7 at a smokin deal, $230, in a ported box due to the fact the surround was scuffed. It wasnt pierced so i figured I'd take it. I was going to throw my 200dsm on it but am now leaning toward my SS Refrence 1000.

I'm either going to do a SS Refrence 1000 and a Refrence 160 doing the highs

or a 200DSM and a 160x4 bridged out doing the highs. It's going in an F150

Just gonna do 1 set of Bost Pro's 5.25" and these bostons are from 1996! LOL

Rolex you sicken me.

may03LT

may03LT

BLUE MOON

• SMD Gold Member

• 4,146 posts
i had a sherwood amp! it was wider then my box:D
Posted Image

Team Bassick - Kimo

Team Bassick - Kimo

160db

• 18+ All Access!

• 2,864 posts

I just got a 12w7 at a smokin deal, $230, in a ported box due to the fact the surround was scuffed. It wasnt pierced so i figured I'd take it. I was going to throw my 200dsm on it but am now leaning toward my SS Refrence 1000.

I'm either going to do a SS Refrence 1000 and a Refrence 160 doing the highs

or a 200DSM and a 160x4 bridged out doing the highs. It's going in an F150

Just gonna do 1 set of Bost Pro's 5.25" and these bostons are from 1996! LOL

ProSeries 5.4 :D

Posted Image

lovellsz

lovellsz

145db

• 18+ All Access!

• 1,206 posts
I was going to do the 200x2 on the w7 or i was looking into getting a 250m2 for the sub and running my 400x4 on mids and either my 100x2 or my 40x2 on my highs.
RF Punch 40x2RF Punch 100x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 400x4JL Audio 10W7-3"but its only a 200 watt amp tho"

ISO

ISO

Jon S out of Lancaster,OH

• 18+ All Access!
  • 3,160 posts
  • Interests:What do you think?
FYI When I went from my 200 IX DSM to the 225.2 there was a big difference in distorotion. and the only difference between those besides the heatsink is the 200x2 witch looks like the DSM and the punch 225.2 is the transana circuit. I would recommend upgradeing to any of the amps that have the Transana circuit. They really do have less distortion and sound better. Just something to think about. I didn't type line 2 propperly the end caps for the 200x2 say Trans ana in big bold red letters. Sorry for the misinformation

Edited by ISO, 09 May 2008 - 02:21 PM.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

A cap is only good if you have 0 voltage loss and want to clean up the power at the peaks of the ripples..

Boon: Don't get hung up on specs like xmax. It's probably the third-most lied about spec, after power handling and sensitivity.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

was the fact I won't get to find out whats going to happen tomorrow if I die today.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Hoo-Bangin' on the transformers
Getting my stalk on walk on "Skip skip"
Sack jacking purse snatching hoo-banging till I die
Posted Image

lovellsz

lovellsz

145db

• 18+ All Access!

• 1,206 posts
fyi the 200x2 has the trans ana circuit... or thats what the box says...

A&W ROOTBEER

A&W ROOTBEER

145db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 1,491 posts
man i remember 15 years ago when running 500 watts made you the badass on the block and pioneer and kenwood where the best amps..lol

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users