Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

If this was answered already, I apologize. I didn't read through all 27 pages

I noticed a discrepancy between the newest release and the older non-install program. It seems like the newer version shows a larger net volume with lower tuning despite all the input fields being the same.

So which one is right?

Here's just a quick sample box. It seems that the discrepancy is the port volume.

For my plans: the same box using the older and newer programs has a ~1.5cuft difference, which is more than I feel comfortable ignoring

Screen shot of the newest

And of the

oldest
Did you ever get an answer?

Nope :(

If I calculate the port displacement by hand(just simple LxWxD) I come up with 1.61cuft which is different than both calculators

Yeah, same here, I have the old and new one and ran into the same problem for my design, and when I calculated by hand I got a different answer too. But it was closer to the new program's port volume.

I don't put images in my signature to let people know I mean business.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snow, using sketchup and your specs, i get 2.38cuft of port displacement and a net volume of 7.67cuft. (not counting subs and bracing)

I also noticed that with your box depth, you shouldn't need any port bends. If you run the walls back to 3.5" from the back, then the width of the port to center gives the length you need to get to 30" exactly. Of course if it works like that in practice is another thing.

edit:

changed the net volume, forgot the Triple baffle.

also, i screwed up and figured the port at 30". So, that being said, at 20" i get 1.61cuft for port displacement. and i get 8.37 net before subs and bracing.

Sorry bout the other post. My bad

also, i screwed up and figured the port at 30". So, that being said, at 20" i get 1.61cuft for port displacement. and i get 8.37 net before subs and bracing.

Sorry bout the other post. My bad

Good to know!

I'm still trying to figure out how Torres got 1.7cuft for port displacement and 8.6 for net volume after displacement.

Makes me question if this program is as good and accurate as we think it is. BIG difference between the previous and current version. The current version is much closer, but there is still a discrepancy

I'm getting 8.68 net after all displacements

(20 - 3) * (40 - 1.5) * (30 - 1.5) = 18653.25 cuin

18653.25 cuin / 12^3 = 10.79 cuft

10.79cuft - 1.61cuft port - .5 woofer = 8.68 cuft net

Newest version of Torres brings back 8.60.

Better than the old Torres which says 8.11cuft. But I still wonder where that .08cuft comes from

i think there is a theory with ports that you add half the width of the port, to the port volume. If that is true and if torres does that math then maybe that is where the loss is?

I don't know for sure if that theory is true or not. Anyway, hopefully Torres can chime in and gives us some ideas. Considering your port has no bends and is simple i don't know what is going on.

Maybe the way i laid out the port isn't exactly how torres figures it. I'm at work right now so i can't double check my sketchup.

• 1 month later...

ScreenShot2013-07-04at61903AM.png

Chris, thanks for the great app but I have one question and I will need to refer to your help section images in Google Sketchup. I am doing a wedge box similar to the example with 2 different depths and my sub and port will be located on the angled side of the sketchup (the side that is not labeled, therefore the side listed as H1 is the back of my enclosure). From the looks of my calculator (which is the latest version downloaded 2 days ago), the measurements for the port sides to cut are for a rectangular box. Is it possible for me to do this type of box with a slot port being angled and how do I need to cut the wood for the internal part of the port. Sorry for the noob question but this is only my second tuned box that I am building with no assistance.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Archived