PPI 356CS 6.5" components

SQMonte

Posted Image

I just unboxed these, got them from SonicElectronix for $140 shipped. I had been hearing raving reviews about them and even though I didn't need (at the time) any components I figured the deal was too sweet to pass up cause OCS has them for $300+ and MSRP is $499 so I said f**k it and got 'em. Good thing I did cause I just blew out a mid last weekend :blush:

So first thing i see in the box is the tweets, nothing to get all excited about, just your standard silk dome 1" tweets w/black grill and no logo plastered to it. I like that because it's more understated and clean looking, IMO. The tweets have some weight to them, they don't feel cheap at all, and feel like they were built well and ready to take some abuse.

The mids come out next, first thing I see is the grills (which I won't be using). Just your standard mesh grill but it's got the PPI logo and lettering at the bottom. I take off the grill and see the mids themselves and the kevlar cone w/bullet center looks nice. I pull them out of the box and what the hell? The basket is plastic! I wasn't expecting that, but make no mistake about it, there's nothing flimsy or cheap feeling about it. Even with the plastic basket, it's still noticeably heavier than my CDT mids, while keeping a relatively shallow mouting depth of 2.5". Another surprise was the screw down speaker terminals, pretty much the same thing like you'd see on an amplifier. It's also got woven tinsel leads and a phase plug to help with controlling the interaction of the frequencies. Again I was impressed with the quality of the material used and craftsmanship.

Then I get to what I thought were the xovers, they were wrapped in a layer of thin cardboard and when I went to pull them up out of the box that mofo was heavy as hell! I thought "damn, did they include a free amp too?" They are definitely the biggest passive xovers I've ever seen and heavy as hell! As I unwrapped them I noticed how cold they were, kinda threw me for a loop cause I didn't expect plastic to be so cold, then I noticed the base is metal! I'm assuming aluminum, all black with a machined facia and is covered by a smoked plastic cover that shows off the guts. Very nice xover indeed!

Two more boxes remained, one was full of speaker wire, but not your standard uber-thin crap most companies provide, this stuff is easily 16-18 ga.! Very impressed again....the other box contained 4 other tweeter mounting cups, as well as a coax mount....you untwist the bullet and then screw on this mount in it's place and you now have a component set in the footprint of a coax speaker.

Also included is a pair of hole cutting templates and an owners manual that isn't filled with a bunch of nonsense and in 32 different languages, it gets right to the point, is easy to follow and makes installation and setup a breeze.

Well that's all for now, I plan on getting these installed in the next week or two and will get back with my review on how they sound afterwards.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

they look pretty beefy in the pics, i wonder how they'll take more than 60 rms

Alpine 9886

Polk Audio 6.5 Component db series

Elemental Designs nine.4

JL Audio 1000/1

DC Lvl 4 15" - 3.95 cu ft/tuned to 32 hz

Clarion EQS746

Stinger Voltage Meter

Optima Yellow Top (Front)

XS Power 1200 (Rear)

All KnuKonceptz Wiring

they look pretty beefy in the pics, i wonder how they'll take more than 60 rms

I hear about people running them on 150 watts each side daily with no issues at all

Never heard of these mids, curious to hear what you think of them...post pics!!!

As soon as I get them installed I'll definitely add to this review

I've got a pair of the 5 1/4's that I haven't even listened to yet either. They are A/D/S speakers with the PPI label on them. They are from when Dei bought out a bunch of company's and A/D/S was one of them. I'm going to add mine to some Qlogic kicks to go along with a Kicker RS65.2 set that I have in my doors. I'm cosidering running them active along with the Kicker's off of a Sundown 50.4 at 2 ohms per channel, but since the crossover is so damn nice I may just keep the Cerwin Vega 4 channel that I have and run these off it using the passive crossover that came with them.

If these work out well for me in the kicks I may just go ahead and sell the Kicker's and buy a pair of the 6 1/2's for my doors too. I will also add that the 5 1/4's only cost $75 shipped instead of the $140 that the 6 1/2's cost shipped. The biggest reason I went with them was price and also because I already have a badass 6 1/2 comp set in the doors. Imo I already think that these are worth the $75 I paid for them based on the build quality and materials used. I would have to say that this is one of the deals of the century right now.

SQ Monte, where did you hear about these at? I just happened to be shopping on ebay and came across them and comparred the price to OCS and knew that it was a steal.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

double post ftl!

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion

I've got a pair of the 5 1/4's that I haven't even listened to yet either. They are A/D/S speakers with the PPI label on them. They are from when Dei bought out a bunch of company's and A/D/S was one of them. I'm going to add mine to some Qlogic kicks to go along with a Kicker RS65.2 set that I have in my doors. I'm cosidering running them active along with the Kicker's off of a Sundown 50.4 at 2 ohms per channel, but since the crossover is so damn nice I may just keep the Cerwin Vega 4 channel that I have and run these off it using the passive crossover that came with them.

If these work out well for me in the kicks I may just go ahead and sell the Kicker's and buy a pair of the 6 1/2's for my doors too. I will also add that the 5 1/4's only cost $75 shipped instead of the $140 that the 6 1/2's cost shipped. The biggest reason I went with them was price and also because I already have a badass 6 1/2 comp set in the doors. Imo I already think that these are worth the $75 I paid for them based on the build quality and materials used. I would have to say that this is one of the deals of the century right now.

SQ Monte, where did you hear about these at? I just happened to be shopping on ebay and came across them and comparred the price to OCS and knew that it was a steal.

Yep, PPI just made a few minor tweaks to them but they're essentially the same as the A/D/S comps were and we all know that A/D/S was the shit! And you ain't lying about the xover, that mofo is sweet! It's got me considering ditching my active setup and going passive :shok: If I can retain the ability to use the time alignment feature on my deck, i'm going to use them, they're too sick not to. Build quality and materials used are clearly top notch and at $140 shipped I have to agree that it's a hell of a deal. People are comparing them to Focal and other sets costing 2 and 3 times as much as these and they're holding their own.

There's a thread on DIYMA that's about 23 pages long or so, nothing but rants and raves about these, and alot of those guys run SEAS/DynAudio/Morel, etc.

hmmm im just waiting on some more reviews about these PPIs.. the price is right and i might be ready to try two sets of these out :) but im sure i'll need a beefier amp than my nine.4

Alpine 9886

Polk Audio 6.5 Component db series

Elemental Designs nine.4

JL Audio 1000/1

DC Lvl 4 15" - 3.95 cu ft/tuned to 32 hz

Clarion EQS746

Stinger Voltage Meter

Optima Yellow Top (Front)

XS Power 1200 (Rear)

All KnuKonceptz Wiring

Yep, PPI just made a few minor tweaks to them but they're essentially the same as the A/D/S comps were and we all know that A/D/S was the shit! And you ain't lying about the xover, that mofo is sweet! It's got me considering ditching my active setup and going passive :shok: If I can retain the ability to use the time alignment feature on my deck, i'm going to use them, they're too sick not to. Build quality and materials used are clearly top notch and at $140 shipped I have to agree that it's a hell of a deal. People are comparing them to Focal and other sets costing 2 and 3 times as much as these and they're holding they're own.

There's a thread on DIYMA that's about 23 pages long or so, nothing but rants and raves about these, and alot of those guys run SEAS/DynAudio/Morel, etc.

It makes you wonder how long these puppy's are gonna last. By the time I get mine in and listen to them these may be gone!!!! I guess I'll have to see what happens this week at work cause if it's a good one I'll pick up another set just for the hell of it.

I'm not too big on 5 1/4's but like I said since I've already got a pair of 6 1/2's in the doors the 5 1/4's in the kicks should do nicely aimed right at the ears.

The plan is to run the RS65.2 comp set off the sax50.4 actively and the ppi set off the Vega Exl400.4 passively. I'm sure it will still sound okay this way as I don't use my deck for any processing at all except to set the low pass crossover at 50hz. The only downfall I see to this would be running another amp and only using 2 of the channels when it's a 4 channel amp. The other option would be to run the mids off 2 of the channels at 2 ohms possibly sacraficing sound quality and also the same on the tweets. I'm worried that I won't give them enough power off the 50.4 this way and should probably just run 2 amps to be safe. What do you think I should do?

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

hmmm im just waiting on some more reviews about these PPIs.. the price is right and i might be ready to try two sets of these out :) but im sure i'll need a beefier amp than my nine.4

check your pm's

It makes you wonder how long these puppy's are gonna last. By the time I get mine in and listen to them these may be gone!!!! I guess I'll have to see what happens this week at work cause if it's a good one I'll pick up another set just for the hell of it.

I'm not too big on 5 1/4's but like I said since I've already got a pair of 6 1/2's in the doors the 5 1/4's in the kicks should do nicely aimed right at the ears.

The plan is to run the RS65.2 comp set off the sax50.4 actively and the ppi set off the Vega Exl400.4 passively. I'm sure it will still sound okay this way as I don't use my deck for any processing at all except to set the low pass crossover at 50hz. The only downfall I see to this would be running another amp and only using 2 of the channels when it's a 4 channel amp. The other option would be to run the mids off 2 of the channels at 2 ohms possibly sacraficing sound quality and also the same on the tweets. I'm worried that I won't give them enough power off the 50.4 this way and should probably just run 2 amps to be safe. What do you think I should do?

Definitely run two amps cause if you wire them to 2 ohms you're not gonna have the L/R stereo separation and it's gonna kill the imaging. You should post up a review on them once you get them installed, sounds like you might get yours done before I get mine in.

Archived