Court date for medical bills???

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??? I know I hadn't till now....WTF!!! What happened to shit just going on your already screwed up credit???

This dude comes to my door with a summons for court. I just woke up so I wasnt thinking clearly shoulda asked for a card Oh Well....

It's a Civil Summons for the local hospital here (which is shit) for the amount of 2,612.70.... (I owe over 15,000 to a hospital in MN, and a pretty penny in FL they aint hounding me).

It's got: Under Tennessee law provides a $4,000 personal property exemption from execution or seizure to satisfy a judgment.. (I can list my truck on that right??)

Other than that I dont have shit.

I have not worked in over a year and a half since I was injured at work and fired a week later. And I still have problems with my back. (CNA + Nursing home = fucked back)

So the only income is my husbands SSDI, we on a fixed income.

I could see it if it was a bounced check, but unpaid medical bills???

Any advice?

When you go to court explain that most of those occured while you was unemplyed from being injured. There is not much that they can do unless the judge is a dick and orders you to pay it within a certin amount of time or face jail, but like you said WTF is going on these days.

They could have wrote that off with their taxes, gotten their money and hounded me with bill collectors. Hell I owe the bank in town 500 from 2 yrs ago, I would expect them to take me to court but they haven't.

But a HOSPITAL....IDGI

Well I don't know about medical debt but I know about suing debtors. I've sent many to court or at least arbitration.

It usually doesn't come out of the blue. Legally I can say anything that will actually happen to them on the phone so would try that first and then a letter saying the same thing. You can't just tell someone "i'm going to sue you" and not mean it, is what I'm saying.. so you do tell them if you can.

You must have let this go quite a bit while ignoring it. Did you not believe they would follow through? I'm just curious.

images-1.jpg

Well I don't know about medical debt but I know about suing debtors. I've sent many to court or at least arbitration.

It usually doesn't come out of the blue. Legally I can say anything that will actually happen to them on the phone so would try that first and then a letter saying the same thing. You can't just tell someone "i'm going to sue you" and not mean it, is what I'm saying.. so you do tell them if you can.

You must have let this go quite a bit while ignoring it. Did you not believe they would follow through? I'm just curious.

Oh I had a bill collector call over a year ago and tell that they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest. As far as the hospital themselves call me and say anything of the sort no.

Oh I had a bill collector call over a year ago and tell that they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest. As far as the hospital themselves call me and say anything of the sort no.

Well then you should have recorded that guy and got a fat settlement from them. That is law breaking because it obviously ahd nothing to do with this.

I find it odd they didn't send you a legal notice. I'm just sayin, they love sending those because people pay those.

images-1.jpg

It is a civil action brought by the hospital, not by a collection agency. I would get notices from the collection agency demanding payment but it was always for the same bill, not for the complete amount that I owed.

And this is the first legal action notice I have received, and it is for court. I'm contacting legal aid on Monday, theres stuff I need to find out.

The last time I went to the hospital I had a severe abscessed tooth. I had went to the dentist they gave me Rx, made an apt for the next day to get it pulled. She told me that if it was to get any worse I was to go to the ER.

Well I laid down to take a nap when I got home after taking the meds. I woke up and my face was so swollen my eye was damn near shut. my lips were 5x's their normal size, the whole right side of my face was like that.

I went to the ER, the doctor when he came in he said, " Unless you have 200 cash to pay upfront I can't help you." I left and went home. That infection could have entered my blood stream overnight went up into my brain and caused some serious shit.

And yes I told the dentist the next day and she was just as appalled as I was to that doctors actions. By law hospitals can not refuse to treat you do to the inability to pay, or no insurance. But is that at the fault of the hospital or the doctor?

Well... don't know what to say. The statute of limitations in TN is quite long, if I recall right. Are you sure this is what it is for? I'm saying, old ass things can bite you in the ass.

Anyhow, if you don't own a home or any assets getting sued aint no big deal. As long as you don't mind changing jobs everytime they send over a write of garnishment hehe

images-1.jpg

Archived