Sundown Audio

Some open discussion on product development.

Just to fill you guys in... I've been working on a TON of things for Sundown for the future... hoping to see many of these things next year!

I am going to discuss woofer related plans here... things I didn't really mention much in the "New Stuff Coming to Sundown" thread.

-----

As you can see the E8 v.2 is available for pre-order now -- I am going to fill out the E line with 10s and 12s. Like the SA line the 8" motor is unique in the line... the 10s and 12s will have a larger motor, smaller than the SA series, though, but also with a 2.5" coil.

The coil will be shorter and the depth of the 10" model will be around 4.25-4.5" or so for depth restricted applications. They will be rated for 400-watts RMS and will feature less advanced cooling methods than the SA series due to the lower rating and lower price.

I am debating 15s in this line... if they are made it won't be until a later time.

-----

I have already released most that there is to know about the SA series development. We have the new spacer ring that is to replace the drilled basket vent holes.

I may not have mentioned that I also re-designed the pole cap for enhanced cooling as well. Simply a shape and size change... not too major.

The above two are for 10s, 12s, and 15s only -- not the 8s.

Of course without either of these modifications the SA series already WELL exceeds it's rated power capacity -- as is highly documented all over by this point. I simply decided to take it to the next level as I am a speaker nerd and that is what I do!

They will be fully "backward compatible" with older units as the changes are to air flow only... no spec changes.

For the SA-8 I have tooled up a new surround that is 5mm taller, 5mm wider, and twice as thick. It is a softer foam, though, so compliance has not changed and SPL output also did not change at all -- not even 0.1 dB. I simply wanted THE best surround on an 8" woofer so I tooled my own

Here is a comparison :

CIMG4130.JPG

New on the left -- old on the right.

Those will be coming out within the next few months. You can run them with "older" ones no problem as I have mentioned the specs don't change in any significant fashion.

I have and will continue to test anything I can think of to further improve the SA series without making them more expensive... since many of the ideas won't make production if they have no benefit in my testing I won't talk about them just yet.

-----

I haven't said much about this at all... but I am developing a 1000-watt series.

It looks almost just like the SA series motor (same height motor, basket, etc) but it is 20mm wider and used a 3" voice coil (of course a wider spider comes with that). What is not seen is an added aluminum shorting ring inside the motor. Therefore all of our subs 1000-watts on up will feature a shorting ring.

The coil will remain a 4-layer copper round wire as with the SA series -- customers really like the low-end extension!

I still have a good bit of testing to go before releasing more information, specs, etc... but I am working on something to bridge the gap from the SA to the Z series!

This series will be available in 10s, 12s, 15s, and 18s over time... will likely be introduced one size at a time as with the SA series.

They will come out of the gate with the latest SA features (magnet boots, new pole cap design, new basket spacer ring, etc).

Thinking about using the "X" designation as I've applied to several prototypes in the past.

Only very early work is done on these... so don't expect them until later in 2011 unless something changes dramatically.

-----

I am working on several things on the big boy woofers... not much I am ready to talk about yet, though

I am ALWAYS testing new things though!

-----

Obviously I am toying with several Neo woofers designs... the other lines do hold priority over dedicated SPL products but I am an enthusiast as well so I haven't forgotten about you guys!

-----

Anything I am missing that people want to see from Sundown in the woofer lines ?

We are looking at 5 main lines : E, SA, X, Z, and Nightshade

I am also prototyping three Neo motors (may or may not be released), a Monster v.2 concept motor (may or may not be released), and an ultra linear SPL motor (flat BL topology, large ferrite motor). These are fun projects that may or may not end up being made - perhaps in limited production if they are - and I'll have more details on them as time goes on.

Anyway... just thought I'd get it out there as I do enjoy discussing future products!

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 10k daily sub would be the shit.. But that's a toughy. Looks like you've put a lot of work into those new subs and they will have a great turnaround!

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

a 10k daily sub would be the shit.. But that's a toughy. Looks like you've put a lot of work into those new subs and they will have a great turnaround!

It would be close to impossible currently -- at least for it to pass my thermal test at 10kw (see thermal test threads).

We've got something in the works that will make it closer to a reality (at least thermally)... but there is not ETA yet so I'm not discussing it.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

I think its really cool that a company would be so upfront and open about their product and development. I really like the idea of having several different options ranging from budget setups to all out SPL monsters. I think once I get back on my feet, I'm going to sell all my RF equipment, and run Sundown.

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.

I would like to see a SA-18 myself :peepwall:

1993 Mazda Mx-3

Subs: 2 18" DC Audio Lvl 4 D.7

Highs amp: Sundown SAX-100.4

Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D

Electrical:Kinetik 1200 under hood, 2-Kinetik 2400 rear

All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's

Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat

Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass

TeamSundown-3-1.jpg

DCSig.jpg

I love what I see coming from Sundown Audio. What I don't like is everything is too damn good. Just when I make my mind up on a new build what does the Mad Scientist of SPL do? he develops something new and I have to go back to the drawing board. Just keep up the good work Jacob

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass