Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new product - "Distortion Detector"..NEW PICS page 22 Video Update page 26

828 replies to this topic

BeatBox

BeatBox

(yಠ,ಠ)y

• 18+ All Access!
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:My GF, Car Audio, Woking on Suby and hanging out with friends
Garage View Garage
so if ppl want to pre order it, how will they do it since the pre order thread is locked

crazyeight

crazyeight

120db

• Members
  • 76 posts

OK... Sooooo... I got my meter in, unboxed it and went to work testing this thing... I made a quick vid but realized that Steve's address and phone # where on the box so I will make a new vid without that info hopefully today.

Regardless... I put it to work in a few cars.
First up, I read the owners manual (I suggest this as it does clear up a few questions I have heard on this forum)
Next I followed the instructions, found the output of her radio, then RE-TUNED her amplifier. I MUST say... the SMD DD1 performed very nicely. Her truck sounds amazing right now. I wanted to see what results if any would be reflected on the termlab so I popped it in the s10 for some comparisons (did some spl testing before retuning with the SMD DD1) The results surprised me. Her truck picked up .5dB!!! .5!!! Let me explain what that means... though you or I cannot HEAR the difference in .5dB... at the last show she would have gotten first place with that extra .5dB (she actually only lost by .2dB).

Next up... Mike's Avalanche... spl testing done before setting up with the SMD DD1.
Then max output of the radio along with a RETUNE of the amplifiers (mids/highs and sub amp) and gave it a quick listen then tested for spl... .6dB difference!!!!!! Not to mention his mids/highs are extremely loud at this point and sound absolutely amazing!

Then I retuned my soundboard making it sing even sweeter now...

I also retuned a couple of other simple setups and saw a few gains in spl (.3dB, .2dB, .3dB) but the biggest thing is how fast and easy it is to tune with the SMD DD1.

Great product and I hope to get a few vids up with some testing... we will be using the SMD DD1 to RETUNE the Boswell's DDBEAST, can't wait to see what happens... :)

Thanks again Steve.

Damn that means I would have gotten 2nd. This alone has me sold on one. When I get paid on the 15th I will be ordering it. Great Test Ric!

Edited by crazyeight, 13 June 2011 - 06:42 PM.

VaNQuisH

VaNQuisH

130db

• Members
  • 430 posts
I have a hypothetical question.

If my mids are 75w RMS and I have a (150 x 4) 4-Channel
With the DD-1 sure i'll set the amp up at it's max undistorted/unclipped gain but wont that defeat the purpose by overpowering my mids.
Are we going to have to rely on the DMM and some math to get the job done AFTER using the DD-1?

Not sure why no one has asked about this... maybe I missed it.

* (2) Morel Ultimo 12's

* Hybrid Audio Legathia SE Front Stage

* JL Audio HD-1200/1

* BRAX 2400

* Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP

blankskater08

blankskater08

130db

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio
    Skateboarding
    Filming and Editing Skateboard Videos
cant wait to get one!!!!!

numatik

numatik

145db

• Members

• 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Fabrication, Minitrucks, Installing and collecting pythons
Garage View Garage
Hey Steve Il get one of these from you when the beat is back in my truck for sure, looks nifty!

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemead...l= numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate.  Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches,  Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges.  (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemead...2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Blazer Boy280

Blazer Boy280

125db

• Members
  • 185 posts
i want one gime gime
My Build:Blazer Got Bass
Posted Image

knowledge

knowledge

175db

• Members

• 7,766 posts

so if ppl want to pre order it, how will they do it since the pre order thread is locked

x2?

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
CURRENTLY NEW BUILD
4 DD 9515h's
2 DDM4a's
Lots of highs
a couple batteries
2 DC alt's
and lots of wire!
the build never ends
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

wanna see cool cars & trucks daily, join my FB page/group>https://www.facebook...98986243621402/

Rockbrook

Rockbrook

140db

• Members

• 858 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom
    &
    Cars
all you'd have to do is PM Ray personally, can you still view the thread so you can atleast get the info from the first page?

2007 Impala LT

Pioneer AVH-X4500BT 2 Pairs of 6.5 Eminence Eminators

Silk Dome Tweeters from an Alpine Component Set

Diamond Audio S6.0x Crossovers

MB Quart RAA2400  On the mids and highs

15' Ascendant Audio Havoc D1

Concept 1200d Pushing the Sub for now.

Stock Electrical for now.

Big 3 and new battery are on the list of things to do.

Ray

Ray

175db

• Super Moderator

• 8,815 posts

I have a hypothetical question.

If my mids are 75w RMS and I have a (150 x 4) 4-Channel
With the DD-1 sure i'll set the amp up at it's max undistorted/unclipped gain but wont that defeat the purpose by overpowering my mids.
Are we going to have to rely on the DMM and some math to get the job done AFTER using the DD-1?

Not sure why no one has asked about this... maybe I missed it.

well.. come on now..
If you have an amp that is double rms of your speakers... then........ uhhhhh..... duh?

Would you be happy if the thing installed your amp for you??
Maybe if it waxed your car?
2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Audiofanaticz

Audiofanaticz

Your still butthurt? Awesome!

• Super Moderator

• 20,556 posts
i dunno, that waxing of the car sounds like a good idea! just saying! :drinks:

Ray

Ray

175db

• Super Moderator

• 8,815 posts
You just send money and pm me AFTERWARDS..
2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Pitbullx

Pitbullx

Super Moderator, Biotch!

• Super Moderator

• 1,411 posts
The thread has been unlocked, only post there if you want to pre order or have q's about the payment process... keep all discussion in regards to the products performance or comparisons in this thread....failure to do so will result in vacations
Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

UnderLoK

UnderLoK

150db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 1,990 posts
  • Interests:Classic boats, cars, computers, and the list goes on...

i dunno, that waxing of the car sounds like a good idea! just saying! :drinks:

I would get another one for my 61' Deville in a second... Waxing that thing sucks! :drink40:

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my 9kw walled TBSS build over here
2 Team AA 18s
Sundown SAZ 4500s

Soundstream TRC6.5 Comps

Vifa Tweets
Soundstream STL 4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power 3400
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Ric Thornton

Ric Thornton

SHOCKER!!!!!

• Members

• 1,767 posts

Ric Thornton

Ric Thornton

SHOCKER!!!!!

• Members

• 1,767 posts

ISO

ISO

Jon S out of Lancaster,OH

• 18+ All Access!
  • 3,160 posts
  • Interests:What do you think?
Steve the only question I have about this item is;

What is the voltage swing?

My scope is +- 100 volts ac or DC. So in my opinion my scope is no good for an amp over 2,500 watts RMS.
Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

A cap is only good if you have 0 voltage loss and want to clean up the power at the peaks of the ripples..

Boon: Don't get hung up on specs like xmax. It's probably the third-most lied about spec, after power handling and sensitivity.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

was the fact I won't get to find out whats going to happen tomorrow if I die today.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Hoo-Bangin' on the transformers
Getting my stalk on walk on "Skip skip"
Sack jacking purse snatching hoo-banging till I die
Posted Image

ISO

ISO

Jon S out of Lancaster,OH

• 18+ All Access!
  • 3,160 posts
  • Interests:What do you think?

The thread has been unlocked, only post there if you want to pre order or have q's about the payment process... keep all discussion in regards to the products performance or comparisons in this thread....failure to do so will result in vacations

Sorry I didn't read this far.
Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

A cap is only good if you have 0 voltage loss and want to clean up the power at the peaks of the ripples..

Boon: Don't get hung up on specs like xmax. It's probably the third-most lied about spec, after power handling and sensitivity.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

was the fact I won't get to find out whats going to happen tomorrow if I die today.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Hoo-Bangin' on the transformers
Getting my stalk on walk on "Skip skip"
Sack jacking purse snatching hoo-banging till I die
Posted Image

craracer05

craracer05

130db

• Members
  • 338 posts
Where is the pre-order thread I can't find the dam thing??
2007 Scion Tc- T1500.1bdcp & t600.4, Three P3D212's Ported at 40hz, T2 6.5" Components, Rockford Marine 8" coax's. Kinetik khc1400 in back, Kicker 0 gauge 1999 Cherokee- Rockford Prime Amps 300.4 & 500.1,Big 3, Rockford 6.5"Comp.s and 6.5" 2ways, 2 12" P2's Ported basic winter beater 2002 Mustang Convt.-T1500.1bd & 400.4, 3 P3D210's IB, JBL components all the way around,Rockford 4 gauge, Big 3, Kinetik khc800 in back

Rainman215

Rainman215

wheres the food?

• 18+ All Access!
  • 4,293 posts
Under the audio innovations section.

Posted Image

My 02 Accord Wall Build
2 Sundown Audio Nightshade V1 18s --- 1 SAZ 3500
Sundown Audio 100.4 --- 4 Sundown Audio Neo-Pro 8s
Sundown Audio 125.2 --- 2 Morel MD-12 Tweeters , 2 Selenium ST-200 Tweeters
DC Power 270xp --- 4 XS Power D1200s | 1 D5100R

Ric Thornton

Ric Thornton

SHOCKER!!!!!

• Members

• 1,767 posts
a little more info for you guys...

We all know that when you clip your system it adds "dirty power" so I wanted to see what kind of dirty power Gary had before setup with the SMD dd1. The results are surprising. :)

BEFORE TUNING WITH SMD dd1

ACv- 62.09
amp- 39.14
2430.2026 watts SPL score 150.8dB

AFTER TUNING WITH SMD dd1

ACv- 56.14
amp- 34.07
1912.6898 watts SPL score 150.9dB (after playing music for over 45 minutes straight with the truck off!!!)

edit: in other words... 517.5128 watts where "dirty" or distorted power and it didn't help the score at all. and FYI I have seen a few people (one re re on youtube said this too) say that "i've tuned by ear this tool is useless you can hear distortion"... I have been doing car audio for 16+ years. I have built countless SPL and SQ setups not to mention everyday bangers... I can tell you this... This is the fastest and easiest way to set up tuning, and I thought I got the cars pretty close by ear (judges comments on my competitors setups confirmed that) but this takes the cake so to speak. Gary's truck sounded fantastic before, and anyone who has heard it would agree... like i said in the vid though.. it sounds BETTER now.

if you don't add this to your toolbox as an installer of audio both home and auto... then you are insane. bottom line.

Edited by PULSE CAR AUDIO, 14 June 2011 - 08:50 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users