Test Tones and Tuning Tutorial - All New Links, Again!

well heres the thing... a sine wave is a type of tone

you can have triangle tones, sawtooth tones, square tones... etc

im lazy so im glad you took the time to do this

Hmm... I see, I see. I didn't really think too much on it before, but it's good to know. I'll keep that in mind whenever I talk about them.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

MAKE THIS A STICKY I AM WAY IGNORANTE ON THIS STUFF AND I CAN COMPREHEND THIS

Team SSBTeam SoundStreamTeam Tsunamiteam ohio generator

MAKE THIS A STICKY I AM WAY IGNORANTE ON THIS STUFF AND I CAN COMPREHEND THIS

No need for all the yelling, lol. j/k

As much as I would like this to get stickied, I want a few knowledgeable people to read through it and make sure I got everything right first. Though I do feel that this could be quite helpful for some people.

I am actually uploading everything to another site, too. That way if one link is down, there is a backup.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

I've been working on making some sweep tracks, but I'm not satisfied with how they turn out. No matter what I do, I cannot keep the amplitude to remain flat. Hopefully I'll figure that out soon.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable so after i do this set up type things who do i use these tones to properly EQ my system and for the time being i dont have subs so i guess i dont need to set my sub equipment. i gues what i am really asking for is an indepth step by step of where to start and tips on what to due. Also i have access to an oscope and i am used to db and freq's i am a calibrations tech.Thats why i cant spll aha so if some one could help me out i would greatly appreciate it thank you

The tones are meant for properly adjusting gains and setting crossover points.

For equalizing there are scores of rules to follow. Here's an in-depth tutorial on EQ settings: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/33740-simple-way-tune-courtesy-cmusic.html

If you plan on using an external EQ, set your mids and highs amp (or amps) gain using a 0dB tone to allow for some room for adjustment of EQ bands. Then here is how I do it after the adjustments:

If using a single amp to power the mids and highs, like if using passive crossovers on component sets or using coaxial speakers: Adjust the 1000Hz band on the EQ to the level of the highest boosted band on the EQ, and tune the amp's gain setting using your desired amplitude 1000Hz tone. Then play a 150Hz tone, then a 500Hz tone, then a 3500Hz tone, and then a 5000Hz tone all the same amplitudes. Check each tone for clipping, if a tone clips, adjust the gain until it goes away and repeat the process with every tone to ensure that every frequency will be reproduced cleanly.

If you are running active, separate amp for each type of speaker: split your EQ into zones that are picked up by that specific speaker.

Let's say you are running 4 way active and you have your crossovers set like so:

Midbass: 115Hz HPF, 400Hz LPF

Midrange: 600Hz HPF, 2500Hz LPF

Tweeters: 3500Hz HPF

Then in the ranges in the EQ that are picked up by the midbass, adjust the 150Hz (or closest to it) to the level of the highest boosted band in that range and tune the amp with a 150Hz tone of desired amplitude. Readjust the EQ band back to where it was and play various tones of the same amplitude that are within the driver's range and check to see if they come through clean. If not, adjust the amp's gain down until they do.

Repeat this process for the other drivers, using correct amplitude tones that will correspond to that driver's frequency range.

So tune the midranges with a 1000Hz tone and try tones from 600Hz up to 2500Hz that are the same amplitude.

For the tweeters, use a 5000Hz tone to tune them, and use tones of matching amplitude to check out it's range from 3500 on up.

Then you should be done. At least that's how I do it. :drinks:

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

• 5 months later...

As of right now all of the links in the first post are dead. I am uploading a whole new set of tones right now. It will be all of what I had before, but now in 0dB, -2.5dB, -5dB, -7.5dB, and -10dB amplitudes. It will all be in 320kbps MP3 format, instead of the 192kbps MP3 files that were up before.

All in all there will be 64 zips, containing a total of 662 files, totaling over 760MB.

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to include in this thread.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Archived