Sundown Audio

SA 12 swap out from Treo TSX

Well I have an SA 12 in the mail from Jacob. I am currently running a Tsx at 2ohm on a MBQ 1500d, so 800rms or so. The Treo is in an optimal box for TSX specs. The SA will also be in an optimal box. This is in a trunk car...When sub gets here and after I break it in some, I will post numbers from the swap. Both subs will have recieved 800rms, and both subs will have been in enclosures made to specs so I feel the comparison is pretty fair. The TSX is only rated at 400rms, but thats a joke. It has a 2.5inch coil and nice motor structure/soft parts etc, so even tho the SA specs out better on paper, the TSX isnt your standard 400w driver so I feel that the comparison is fair here as well..

I plan to meter both subs and music and tones, I will state those numbers and also compare them based on my thoughts of the SQ of the two. I will post a video as well..

And just for fun, a Flex team mate has offered to use his SAZ 3k to see what we can do. The Treo might go up in smoke (hope we get a vid), but the SA should handle it...

I predict the SA to do 139 on music and 140 on a tone. The Treo is about 138 on music, Im not sure about on a tone. So I expect about a 1db gain from the SA...we shall see. And a Thanks to Jacob for supplying me with an item for my addiction

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

The "SPL Ratio" of the two is actually identical between the two (Motor force factor / MMS) and the TREO has a softer spider.

I'd expect maybe a bit more SPL per watt from the TREO from the softer suspension but I am confident it will be no match in thermal or mechanical durability vs. the SA

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

So on the same power the Treo might deliver slightly more spl?

And Im sure it wont be a match either, the 800rms puts the Treo almost at mechanical and thermal limits

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

So on the same power the Treo might deliver slightly more spl?

It's possible -- the motor is weaker but you have a softer spider and much less mass. It will depend on application and what the specific box likes if that actually causes a gain or loss.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

It's possible -- the motor is weaker but you have a softer spider and much less mass. It will depend on application and what the specific box likes if that actually causes a gain or loss.

it will be interesting...The Treo I cant really play at full tilt as its already pushed pretty hard, with the SA I will be able to increase subwoofer attenuation, increase the low end on the eq etc, so I may realize a gain this way.

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

Got my package today, and I must say that this thing is impressive....I think the "600w" rating on this thing may be a bigger line of bullshit then the "max" ratings on Lanzar amps (which we all know is the biggest single falsehood in car audio)...You might be more likely to actually get 4000w out of one of those lanzar amps then you would be to damage this sub on 600w...Heck of a product Jacob..."Entry Line" my ass...lol

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

This thing is amazing Jacob. Fresh out of the box, not even broken in, suspension still stiff as hell and in a box that is spec'd for the Treo, this sub is definately louder and probabley has better SQ then the Treo. You have officially converted me from Treo...I am having a box built to the specs you emailed me based on my power and goals by a teammate and we will TL it that day, hopefully in a week or 2. I will post up results and a video. Sundown! FTW!

Here are some comparison pics. 2 very overbuilt subs, the Treo being a "400w" driver and the SA a "600w" driver

2cx6ped.jpg

24v1j6c.jpg

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

The sa looks sexier :D

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

The sa looks sexier

agreed, that Treo basket is ugly...most treos actually use that 4spoke basket that the SA has. The motor structure really isnt this close. The pics make the tsx look almost as beefy as the SA, which is not the case

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God