Wire/Fuse Guide

Guest SyKo13

I always thought using a bigger fuse would protect it better. So what so of wire and fuse should and fuse should I use for running my batteries.

If I'm goin to hell, I'm going in a HOLDEN!!!

Speed doesn't kill, Its the stopping suddenly that gets you.

Quoted by the one and only Jeremy Clarkson.

Build: A Secret!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, at the risk of sounding like a TOTAL noob I'm gonna ask this anyway. I'm trying to figure out what size fuses I need in my distribution block (see shitty diagram) LOL. Anyway, I have been searching around here and cant really find an answer I feel good about haha. Am I wrong in thinking that it really doesnt matter as long as it is smaller than 100 amp but larger than 30 amp? Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

t5hzsi.jpg

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey what's up y'all. I had 18ga speaker wire running from a SM2-1200 amp to 2 Q Power 12's. Decided to replace the 18ga with 12ga. To big of a wire for a kinda small set up? Just tryin to get a few opinions o this

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

Just to clarify, to all that keep asking repetitive questions....

The MAX fuse rating is what the wire itself can handle in ampere draw. (so you fuse in order not to melt it or catch fire) Also with wire coming from a positive terminal, you want a fuse within 18" of that terminal. I would explain why but that is for a further discussion. This fuse is ran in SERIES with the wire. So if a smaller fuse is added in in addition with the other one, the smaller fuse blows at that given amp draw.

ON THE OTHER HAND...Fuses on an amplifier, tell you the max current draw the amp can handle. If there are multiple fuses, they are all wired in parallel. Which you just add the numbers together, to get you max amp draw. You want to stick with the same ratings on the fuses, in order to not mess the amp up. If you are unsure what the fuse rating is for an amp, GOOGLE IT. Also, you don't have to put an additional fuse in to protect the amp, but it is advised. (Murphy's law) Typically if the amplifier is over (true)3000W then it will not have fuses built into it, and it is up to you to put one on the line.

I hope this was relatively easy to read and hopefully cleared some up some confusion. If you have any further questions about how DC or AC electricity works, email me ([email protected]) and hopefully I can answer them for you or point you in the right direction for the answer.

Best of Luck and Cheers!

There is a point of diminishing returns on the amount of equipment installed, kinda like throwing money out a window.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

hi i am doing a 4 amp set up and i want sum help with what size wire and how to fuse it all

amps are

2- punch rf 500-2 one pushing 2 10 in evs and the other pushing 4 8in oxygen mids

1-punch rf 200-2 pushing 4 oxygen tweeters

1-power rf t1500 pushing 2 fosgate hx2 power

i have a xs power battery in the trunk

thanx for the help

brooklyn style

• 1 month later...

Here is something I found to be very useful as each size wire can only deliver so much current per feet. This key is a great tool to be sure you are getting the most possble current delivered to your amp.

wiringdiagram.jpg

So I had a 2000w RMS amp with 200amps of fuses on it, but my 20ft of 4 ga could only successfully deliver 60 amps for that distance. Starving the amp for more power. I also found out that when the amp draws more current that the wire can handle it can cause the casings to melt, which is why my amp caught on fire the other day.

I thought I hit edit, not quote, whoops

XS-power1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived