DC Sound Lab

Dc Lvl412 Box Help

Hey guys need some help for a box for a DC Sounds Level 4 12". Im going to have 2 Lvl412's ported, giving them about 1200w each.

On the DC site they recommend 1.5 cubes for Ported, and 2 cubes for SPL ported. I guess my first question is, is this measurement net or gross? Also, im kinda looking for a daily/spl setup, so would it be alright to go with 1.75 cubes per sub?

And another thing i wasn't sure of, whats the recommended port tuning? for SPL or daily? Has anyone had a preference with these subs and has another recommendation?

Thanks,

Steven

im sure its net cubes. for spl u wanna tune around the res. freq. of the vehicle, like stated above. for daily i like tuning in the low 30's. if u are lookin to do both then just make a swappable port like steve did in his tahoe (i also have one for my box in my accord). id shoot for 2 cubes with swappable ports.

edit: i forgot, i havent tested it myself, but have been told that the resonant frequency for my 92accord is around 51hz...id imagine u would be close to that. but i always peak a bit higher than what im actually tuned at, so tuned your spl port at like 48-49hz and hopefully u can peak at 51hz.

/my $.02

Edited by amatt85

i likes me some audio stuff...

where would i find out the resonant frequency of my vehicle? let me see if i got this. for daily you can tune it to whatever, but low 30's is best. however for SPL you should tune the port to the resonant frequency. so if i just wanted a strong daily could i get away with like, 1.75 net cubes each tuned to 35hz?

you would have to do some tests in your vehicle...which im not sure how u go about. but yea, for daily tune low-mid 30's, for pure spl it depends on the car, subs, enclosure (a lot of variables)...but maybe like 45hz and up. and yea, 1.75 cubes at 35 would be fine...i like mine a little lower though, like around 32..just depends on what u like musically.

Im going to be using 2 12" DClvl4's in a kerf ported, flush mounted box.

alright well i talked with someone who has had the lvl412 before; he told me that i would like a box about 5 cubes net tuned to about 34hz. so me being the leet noob box builder i am. i dont know how ot make a box lol. anyways i used the RE box calculator and tried to make a box. can someone double check these specs for me plz. and if its really screwed up, would anyone be able to make me some better plans. it would be greatly appreciated

width = 36"

height = 15.5"

depth = 24"

port width = 5.625"

L port length = 4"

i came up with 4.88 cubes net tuned to 33.77hz.

its a little off because im going to kerf the port so thatll probably add a couple .1hz and the 4.88 because that box calc doesn't take into consideration driver displacement. BTW these dimensions are pretty much as big as it can get, maybe an inch or too can be added to width and depth. thanks for ur help guys

Edited by Stem

if its just for one 12 then 5 cubes is way to big imo, unless its just for straight up burps, but this is a daily driver. i would do what dc's site says...

with that being said and assuming those box dimensions u gave are external, here is the best i could come up with

width: 21"

height: 14"

depth: 20"

port height: 13"

port width: 2"

port length: 26"

those box dimensions i just gave are internal (external it would be 22.5 x 15.5 x 21.5) anyways...that gives u 2.04cubes after sub (i assumed .6) and port displacement with 26"sq of port area tuned to 33.7hz