Second Skin Audio

Does cone aera have anything to do with SQ?

Too much emphases is on the subwoofer & tweeter of a SQ vehicle. These play the least frequencies in the spectrum. You main concern is the mid-bass driver & placement.

you want TONS of power (very clean) & this provides overhead for the system.

you can use any subwoofer you would like, it's all about control, the enclosure, placement & some quality of subwoofer..

Typically SMALLER drivers work better. They can achieve full x-max with minimum power/volume where a 18" playing a 30hz tone might overpower the system.. So go with a 10" or 12" to be safe..

Nowadays you have advanced EQ's that can process just about anything & flatten the response of the subwoofer

You need to focus on your soundstage!

Are you competing or just want good sound?

Personally I keep my mid-bass & tweeter very close to each other. Also you need to find the off-axis frequency response of the speakers you choose to run & this will assist with placement of these. Kick panels are always better if designed right.

The subwoofer you just have to play around with placement & enclosures..

Personally I keep my mid-bass & tweeter very close to each other. Also you need to find the off-axis frequency response of the speakers you choose to run & this will assist with placement of these. Kick panels are always better if designed right.

I just want good sound!

I just want good sound!

There's a difference between good sound and SQ. You will find that SQ guys are completely, totally, ridiculously, unhealthily, anally OCD ( I mean...ily guys :rofl::drinks: .)

Seriously though, true SQ requires tons and tons of money, time, and knowledge. The sound is phenomenal but not for everyone. I like having flat response, but most people hate it because "it sounds like there's no bass." Which is one thing most will notice in SQ, because the sub is meant to be totally transparent. The bass is there, but you're so used to big bass systems that you think the subs are off or something.

Honestly I think you need to ask yourself what you REALLY want: SQ, or a daily that plays music well.

Too many projects, too little time...