Loud system for a big room

Hey guys, I work in a very open "showroom" that's probably around 500-1000 square feet at least. We run two shitty radios in there now and are wanting something a ton louder. Since it's such an open area, I am not worried about sound quality, just the loudest we can get for the cheapest as I'm paying for it for work and work alone. I'm thinking an fi x and three tweeters and mids. My question is what kind of speakers should I be looking for? I've heard pa speakers are the way to go in this situation, but want to get some opinions. I have no problem adding more speakers/tweeters just need some suggestions. Links would be fine to suggestions too. I'd say I want it well under $500 with the amps and it all.

Thanks for any help. :drinks:

I think one tower now will work for sure

I'd do a 15'' sealed subwoofer in 4ft

and 2 mtm towers

it will get plenty loud in there if you have the power to run them

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

mtm is always a good way to go, but to fill a big space, consider building a tapped horn. The spl levels are questionable in a car, but in a big open space they really shine. Nothing is more impressive than a properly done tapped horn in a huge space, I guarantee no other configuration will give the bandwith and output of a tapped horn in a room that size.

visit partsexpress.com for product, I'll take a look and see what I can come up with too, but theres always more than one way to skin a cat.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-332 x4 -200 bux (10 in pa mids)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-534 x2 -80 bux (horn loaded tweets)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-455 x1- 160bux (15 in ib sub, ib's are usually better suited to horns)

thats kinda getting you close to your limit already without crossovers/amps, but would be insane

or just get two of these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-4578. self powered, full range pa cabinets.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Gonna bump this for help finding some crossovers...not exactly sure what to look for when it comes to db slope, etc.

Also, ray the midrange drivers you linked me, as for the tower I'm building for them, do i need to seal them or give them a certain amount of air?

As for powering the speakers, would I be better off using a plate amp or do the receivers put out clean power?

Thanks again for the help.

Gonna bump this for help finding some crossovers...not exactly sure what to look for when it comes to db slope, etc.

Also, ray the midrange drivers you linked me, as for the tower I'm building for them, do i need to seal them or give them a certain amount of air?

As for powering the speakers, would I be better off using a plate amp or do the receivers put out clean power?

Thanks again for the help.

You probably want to leave the mids and highs ported unless they like being sealed. For example I have a 15 and I thought it liked being ported, but I sealed up the box and put it in a much larger enclosure and now it really makes some sound. It all depends on the speaker. I have some old school 11 inch and it likes to be ported.

You sound like you just want your music to broadcast long distances, and if I recall correctly you don't care about quality? Having a large subwoofer and being far away from it could affect your ability to hear the mids and highs without them sounding all muddy, so you need to make sure you balance the power of your lows with your mids and highs so they don't over power eachother. Also for bass clarity, don't put it in a direct line to you, for example put it around a corner or under something because I don't know the science to it, but it improved the volume and clarity

• 3 weeks later...

Old thread but were looking to be building this tower soon. I was told building my crossovers would be cheaper and better quality, but ice never attempted that, so any help finding some tweeters would be awesome.

Also, any suggestions on cheap receivers with 3-5 channels to power the mods and highs would be great. I've never been big into home audio before, so my knowledge is definitely lacking. I dot mind a used receiver as long as it's not total shit and puts out clean power.

As for sound quality, we use like 4 terrible radios in the differed sections, so anything would sound better. I just want decent sound and as loud as I can get. Currently were gonna add the sub and sub amp separately when I have the cash.

Thanks again for any help.