Second Skin Audio

Opinions on New Box?

I'm planning to build a new box for my 2 Infinity Reference 860w's that I currently use in my dorm for music/movies. This will be my third "real" box I have built. My first box was the box the subs are in now and I completely messed it up when I built it but it still sounds good. I wanted to try some new things with this box and have been reading about kerfing and wanted to try it. Also, I liked the idea of kerfing all the corners of the port so this is what I came up with. the braces are 1" dowels and I might also put the left over bits of dowel in to brace the inside of the port but haven't decided yet. The box is tuned to... well... I'm honestly not quite sure. If it was a conventional port (but still kerfed at the end) it would be tuned to about 27 hz but I wasn't sure how to adjust it with the kerfed corners. I tried accounting for the difference in box volume and port volume and came up with about 25 hz after adjusting but I'm not sure if that is right. I was just going for as low tuning as possible since it will be used in my ht setup. Anyways, anyone have any opinions/tips/advice? Thanks.

20ifd45.jpg

if you dont have a table saw how a re you going to cut all those kerf cuts

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Can you make a kerf with a 2" radius? I've seen 3" but not 2" while using 3/4" MDF. Also, that port opening is too close to the left sub.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

I would suggest using pvc cut to make your corners. Kerfing small radius like those will be a bitch.

A skillsaw and a straight edge will get you the desired results for a kerf, but a tablesaw is a life saver.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

if you dont have a table saw how a re you going to cut all those kerf cuts

Some one else said this already but it can be done just as effectively with a circle saw, it's just much easier with a table saw

Can you make a kerf with a 2" radius? I've seen 3" but not 2" while using 3/4" MDF. Also, that port opening is too close to the left sub.

I just checked the numbers and it would take 12 cuts about 1/6 of an inch apart which is about a blade width and a half apart so it could be kinda hard to do. I will prolly redesign the box tomorrow with 3 inch ports and see what it looks like. I think I will at least up the port opening to a 3 inch kerf.

I would suggest using pvc cut to make your corners. Kerfing small radius like those will be a bitch.

A skillsaw and a straight edge will get you the desired results for a kerf, but a tablesaw is a life saver.

If I did this, how do you attach the PVC to the MDF?

Sounds like an idea to consider but I'm not sure how to attach them and would it be a problem as far as strength?