Help picking a TV

Thanks alot guys, You are just kind of reaffirming the direction I was heading anyways. I still havent ruled out plasmas because I do have shades that totally block out light if need be, Just kind of worried that I get it home and be pissed off about a random glare lol.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with all LED LCD televisions is that that all suffer from the same annoyance as plasma. Very very glossy panels and highly reflective, on top of that Samsung only has is vivid picture due to always using glossy panels on their LCD televisions. If it is a big problem with your windows OP, take a look at the televisions from different angles to see how bad some of them really are with the reflectiveness.

Things to looks for are:

motion enhancement: i.e. 120hz or 240hz and soon to be higher from Sony's new line-up this spring hopefully...

lighting source: LED or cold cathode

panel type: glossy or matte

resolution: make sure it is 1080P

Honestly your best televisions right now are gonna be the Sonys, Samsuns, Panasonics and thats it... I wouldn't totally rule out plasma as they are still amazing... Panasonic does it right... Buy one and evaluate...

you failed to mention LG as a brand to look for. Some of the higher end Sharp's are nice as well.

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

I did forget Sharp. I do not hold LG in the same regard as alot of their product seems to fit into a similar category with Vizio... Not total trash but I wouldn't bother saving the $3-500 and not get something I'd totally be happy with.... Def can put Sharp up there though... :)

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

I had a Panasonic plasma for about 2 weeks, it was returned for 2 reasons...

1. There was an insane buzzing which I confirmed was a transformer which may be louder on some models than others but is always present.

2. I got an insane deal on a Sony XBR9 that made it too easy to say yes.

My gripe with the Sony is the black levels in a pitch dark room(movie watching).. Specific as hell, but there was some clouding/aura effect from the back lighting..

My gripe with the Panasonic was the high pitched whine and the fact that the white color in most plasmas has an overcast on it, hard to explain but it isn't "pure" white...

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

Go with Sony Bravia! I had my LCD TV for 3 yrs and its gone through a whole bunch even my cat pissed on top of it and even sleeps on it sometimes (ill uplaod pics when I get home, I'm on mobile mode). My brothers TV just failed after 2 yrs it was a Phillips and my friends vizio got the lines of death also my friends LG had the lines of death also. The only the survivor is my uncle's 57" mitsubishi plasma that's he had for 6yrs. Just like TVs you pay for quality so don't go cheap you'll wish you bought something better.

The top 3 best rated right now is:

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG

Mid grade:

Vizio, sharp, phillips, magnavox

Edited by bigp_on_the_beat

No car at the moment.

New system:

2 Skar Audio VVX-12s

Crescendo bc2000d

Carquest NGT battery (back)

Deka battery (front)

Go with Sony Bravia! I had my LCD TV for 3 yrs and its gone through a whole bunch even my cat pissed on top of it and even sleeps on it sometimes (ill uplaod pics when I get home, I'm on mobile mode). My brothers TV just failed after 2 yrs it was a Phillips and my friends vizio got the lines of death also my friends LG had the lines of death also. The only the survivor is my uncle's 57" mitsubishi plasma that's he had for 6yrs. Just like TVs you pay for quality so don't go cheap you'll wish you bought something better

you can hold onto the pictures of cat piss... lulz... :lol:

Go with Sony Bravia! I had my LCD TV for 3 yrs and its gone through a whole bunch even my cat pissed on top of it and even sleeps on it sometimes (ill uplaod pics when I get home, I'm on mobile mode). My brothers TV just failed after 2 yrs it was a Phillips and my friends vizio got the lines of death also my friends LG had the lines of death also. The only the survivor is my uncle's 57" mitsubishi plasma that's he had for 6yrs. Just like TVs you pay for quality so don't go cheap you'll wish you bought something better

you can hold onto the pictures of cat piss... lulz... :lol:

:lol: fine I wont show the cat piss pictures but ill upload the cat sleeping on top of the tv

No car at the moment.

New system:

2 Skar Audio VVX-12s

Crescendo bc2000d

Carquest NGT battery (back)

Deka battery (front)

Yeah I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, I will probably get a nicer tv, but smaller as opposed to bigger/cheaper.

Edit: It all has to do with talking the wife into it.....lol

I know, Im whipped...... :drinks:

Edited by devil4u2c

We have a Vizio 32" in my 8yr old sisters room, a Vizio 37" in my room, a 42" Vizio in the mini gym/basement, a Sharp 52" in my parents room, and a Vizio 55" in the living room

Edit: all the Vizios are LCD and the sharp is Plasma. The blacks look better on the LCDs imo. Thats the only major difference I notice.

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Samsung all the way. Yeah the glossy screens suck sometimes but go to best buy and watch all of the TVs. The glossy screen is part of what gives the samsungs the best picture IMO. Go look for yourself and compare to every other tv there. The samsung's will look amazing compared to everything else.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff