How long do your router bits last?

I have all Freud carbide bits and they just are not lasting long with MDF and are already dull and burning the wood after I've cut out about a dozen holes. Is this normal or are there stronger bits I can use?

Edited by bumonskateboard6

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

could also be your forcing the router to much and its burning itself up

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

I dont know about the longevity. I know my upcut bit has cut its fair share of holes and still cuts like a hot knife. The good thing here is you have carbide tips...they can be resharpened. Find a local guy that sharpens shit and you can probably get it done fairly cheap.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

I'm using a porter cable 892 router, and it's a 1/4" bit and I'm using the 1/4" shank and running around 16-17,000 RPMs.

I know I can get them re-sharpened I'm just seeing if there's anything I can do to extend their life.

Also where it started burning I was forcing it a little and that probably didn't help any..

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

let the router do all the work

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Are you getting any build up on the bits? Might give them a good cleaning and see if that helps.

How deep are you cutting in a single pass? Might just be taking too much out at once.

Out of all of the Freud bits, I've had the best luck with their 1/4" straight bit with 1/2" shank.

42019-01-200.jpg

I've sense switched from Freud to CMT's spiral upcut and downcut (depending on the application) and have had better luck all around with their bits. The spiral bits expel the chips better, seem to last longer, and are fairly inexpensive.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Really depends on the bit, the material and the force.

I would try slowing down not only the speed on the bit, but I would also put very little force on it as you work. Seams to work pretty well for me.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)