Second Skin Audio

sealed vs ported, inverted vs not?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in a nutshell, the way i understand the theory is that soundwaves are round, and a round diaphragm is ideal to produce sound waves, but when you introduce an oblong or square diaphragm the total Q of the driver is drastically changed, and the overall electrical compliance of the driver results in a lack of electrical Q in ported enclosures, due to defraction of the soundwaves, due to a non circular driver, this makes the woofer behave terribly in anything but a acoustic isolation enclosures, also known as sealed, ive been doing lots of research and dont fully understand all of it yet, but all of the material i have read points to the fact that anything but a round speakers doesnt produce the correct waves to be in anything more than a sealed enclosure.

think of it this way, a round driver is a gasoline driven engine, and a square driver is a diesel engine, both are very similar, both do generally the same thing and work in generally the same way, but they are actually far from the same, and work, in completely different ways. i dont really know how to explain it, but i do understand what im saying, even tho im sure none of you do lol.

Edited by BanginOnABudget

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

ooooo its based off Theory

not real world findings

you must not know alot about drivers. im refering to a driver ebp value. its real world.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

my real world testing says that L7s are louder ported... and thats with 3 different sealed enclosures and 2 different ported enclosures..

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/