Sonic Electronix

Hey, I was planning on putting an extra battery in my trunk. I dont know to go xs or kinetic. i know steve's all about xs but what worrys me is that they have low cranking amps. for example the d3100 has less then 1400 cranking amps.

Can you guys tell me what battery i should but in the back?

I have a Gold Duralast 1000 amp bat in the front

so what batt would be sufficient to put in the back?

Ill be running about 2600 watts rms all together

Edited by Jmoney2544

Car: 2002 Buick Regal

Wiring: Knu Kolossus 1/0 + JL 4 Gauge

Big 3: Stinger HPM 1/0

Alternator: Stock 135 Amp

Batterys: Optima RedTop (Hood) XS D3100 (Trunk)

HeadUnit: Pioneer DEH-4200UB

Subs: (2) AQ HDC3 12's

Sub Amp: AQ 2200D

Sub Box: 4.6 Cubes @ 36hz

Mids & Highs: (Front) Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 3-Way 6x9's

Mids & Highs: (Rear ) Rockford Fosgate Power T152S 2-Way Component 5.25"

Speaker Amp: AQ4x90

Sound Dampener : 75 Ft Fatmat

the XS is alot better battery and you find for around same price as kinetic. i would get a D3100 for the back to be safe. Hope you have a decent alternator

to much $. whats a similar bat to the KHC2000?

Car: 2002 Buick Regal

Wiring: Knu Kolossus 1/0 + JL 4 Gauge

Big 3: Stinger HPM 1/0

Alternator: Stock 135 Amp

Batterys: Optima RedTop (Hood) XS D3100 (Trunk)

HeadUnit: Pioneer DEH-4200UB

Subs: (2) AQ HDC3 12's

Sub Amp: AQ 2200D

Sub Box: 4.6 Cubes @ 36hz

Mids & Highs: (Front) Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 3-Way 6x9's

Mids & Highs: (Rear ) Rockford Fosgate Power T152S 2-Way Component 5.25"

Speaker Amp: AQ4x90

Sound Dampener : 75 Ft Fatmat

Xs d3400 would be fine as a second battery

Edited by n8ball2013
do not post prices in the forum.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Will a 3400 and a 3100 handle 5k for daily use on a stock alt? Yes they will. Are you going to see some voltage drop? Yes, because there is no way your alt will be able to keep up with 5000watts.

Not sure what sears marine batteries you are trying to compare them to, but here is a post I made before that should help in your decision making. Of course if you compare two group 31 marine batteries against the D3100, then the two group 31 marine batteries will have more reserve capacity but reserve capacity doesn't help you if it can't be used properly.

There are many AGM batteries out there to choose from. The thing to keep in mind when making your decision is that all AGM batteries are not designed for high amperage discharge. There are some AGM batteries that work perfect for providing low amperage discharge for extended periods of time, but these batteries will not perform well in a car audio application. Car audio needs high amperage discharge instantaneously and this is why AH, CCA, and CA test mean nothing for car audio. If you are running flood lights then by all means look at the AH rating of batteries, but for car audio it is useless.

What makes some AGM batteries better for high amp discharge? Well its the same reason we upgrade to 0gauge wire and use as many runs of 0gauge as we can fit. The more surface area you have the better and more efficient the current can flow. This not only includes the size of plates in the battery, number of plates in the battery, but also the design of the battery moving the power from the plates to the battery pads (+ - terminal locations on the battery).

Its basically the same idea as getting your power from your battery/alt to your amp. You can have a ton of power available in the battery and alt, but if you have 16gauge wire for that power to run through then you are limiting the power to the amp. Some companies design their batteries with very small connections going from the battery plates to the battery pads (+ and -), which limits the battery's ability to discharge high amperage quickly. This cuts costs for the company, but also cuts the performance of the battery as far as car audio goes. These batteries would be fine to supply low amperage draws for extended periods of time though, and that is what the battery is actually designed for. The problem is that some battery companies that market their batteries toward car audio applications design their batteries like this, and try to use a lot of marketing $$$ to make up for their poor performance.

Some com

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Will a 3400 and a 3100 handle 5k for daily use on a stock alt? Yes they will. Are you going to see some voltage drop? Yes, because there is no way your alt will be able to keep up with 5000watts.

Not sure what sears marine batteries you are trying to compare them to, but here is a post I made before that should help in your decision making. Of course if you compare two group 31 marine batteries against the D3100, then the two group 31 marine batteries will have more reserve capacity but reserve capacity doesn't help you if it can't be used properly.

There are many AGM batteries out there to choose from. The thing to keep in mind when making your decision is that all AGM batteries are not designed for high amperage discharge. There are some AGM batteries that work perfect for providing low amperage discharge for extended periods of time, but these batteries will not perform well in a car audio application. Car audio needs high amperage discharge instantaneously and this is why AH, CCA, and CA test mean nothing for car audio. If you are running flood lights then by all means look at the AH rating of batteries, but for car audio it is useless.

What makes some AGM batteries better for high amp discharge? Well its the same reason we upgrade to 0gauge wire and use as many runs of 0gauge as we can fit. The more surface area you have the better and more efficient the current can flow. This not only includes the size of plates in the battery, number of plates in the battery, but also the design of the battery moving the power from the plates to the battery pads (+ - terminal locations on the battery).

Its basically the same idea as getting your power from your battery/alt to your amp. You can have a ton of power available in the battery and alt, but if you have 16gauge wire for that power to run through then you are limiting the power to the amp. Some companies design their batteries with very small connections going from the battery plates to the battery pads (+ and -), which limits the battery's ability to discharge high amperage quickly. This cuts costs for the company, but also cuts the performance of the battery as far as car audio goes. These batteries would be fine to supply low amperage draws for extended periods of time though, and that is what the battery is actually designed for. The problem is that some battery companies that market their batteries toward car audio applications design their batteries like this, and try to use a lot of marketing $$$ to make up for their poor performance.

Some com

Great info right there. You may end up spending more on an XS battery but it will be worth every penny that you spend. Your electrical system is not the place to "go cheap" you wouldn't build your house on swamp land so don't go half ass with your electrical. :shrug:

01 2dr ExploderBuild log2 18" DC Level 6's (M3's)DC 10k5 XS d3100's, DC 390 alt100' shok ofc cable

Team ShokTEAM SUB SONIC ADDICTION

• 9 years later...

What in the actual?  I’ve never seen such snake oil be relied on with such little evidence.  Now, I’ve never owned an xs - just kinetiks - but this guy is asking us to forego all specs and take his word for it because, lead plates.

Look, if the xs battery is better, there would be a metric to point to.  You can’t just use fancy buzzwords and tech jargon and expect discerning people to not question it. 

What’s worse (and what got me putting xs under the microscope in the first place) is amazon is littered with fake reviews from xs - they get an F from fakespot on nearly all their highly reviewed batteries.  

And now I come across this snake oil salesman saying xs is superior, but can’t point us to one spec that corroborated that claim.

Im either going kinetik - which I’ve never had a problem with, or golf cart batteries.  But most certainly, I won’t be going with the battery maker with the most propaganda though. 

On 4/26/2011 at 8:38 PM, Jmoney2544 said:

Hey, I was planning on putting an extra battery in my trunk. I dont know to go xs or kinetic. i know steve's all about xs but what worrys me is that they have low cranking amps. for example the d3100 has less then 1400 cranking amps.

Can you guys tell me what battery i should but in the back?

I have a Gold Duralast 1000 amp bat in the front

so what batt would be sufficient to put in the back?

Ill be running about 2600 watts rms all together

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17906_SHURiKEN-SK-BT120.html

im running 3500rms all together with a wet cell under the hood this should get the job done for your needs