whats a good hdd shredding program

norton ghost, gdisk /DISKWIPE /DOD

Does a Department Of Defense Disk Wipe on the drive and writes 0 bytes of data to each sector 7 times eliminating any magnetic residue...

so if i download that and do this ill be good?

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

norton ghost, gdisk /DISKWIPE /DOD

Does a Department Of Defense Disk Wipe on the drive and writes 0 bytes of data to each sector 7 times eliminating any magnetic residue...

so if i download that and do this ill be good?

It is the best short of literally shredding the drive... even hitting it with a hammer you can recover data off the platters...

there is a program called gparted that is free and you put it on a disk, then you boot up into, and it can do a 30ish wipe cycle that will write all 0's then all 1's over and over so that it is unrecoverable, and you can do it like 30 times I believe that way no trace is left, depending on the format anyone could easily go and look at the information on you disks

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php here is a link to it, it is literally the best program, I use it when I redo windows each year, and recovered my stepfathers hdd that had a the master boot record disappear due to some evil virus, mhmhmhhahahaha, lol

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I use a program called Eraser, it is freeware and very easy to use. You need to select 3 pass overwrite to truly be effective from recovery. You can also choose 7 and 35 passwrites also. Here is the link:

http://eraser.heidi.ie/index.php

2 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3D412 in a 4.75 cu. ft sealed box.

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S 2-way component 6.5"

Alpine SPR-57C 5" x 7" 2-Way Coaxial Speaker (Pair)

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

Stinger SPC122 Capacitor 1 Farad Chrome w/Blue Neon

Limo Tint All Back 5 Windows

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

Easy. Just do this...

Figure out which drive letter it is. Go to the start menu and click on run, then type CMD [enter]

In the new window type this after the > *NOTE* change the x: to reflect the correct drive letter, first!

format x: /fs:ntfs /p:3

That will erase every bit of data and wipe it 3 times. They'd have to go military grade data recovery to even have a chance at the data.

No, I don't have to hide shit a lot, I'm just a net admin by trade.

Actually, they can still easily get the data. You would have to overwrite every byte with false data, MULTIPLE times to completely get rid of it.

The switch /p:3 does a 0 wipe three times. Like I said, you'd have to go mil spec data recovery to get it after that. If he has stuff on that drive that's worth $50,000 to recover, then he can point out his buddy for the mass murder warrant they must have. That's enough wipe for him.

And he doesn't have to download and install anything. That switch works in vista and 7.

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

• 5 weeks later...

Just formatting the drive does not delete the information It deletes the "table" if you will, but the actual contents are still there.

If you want to delete data you need to write over it. There are MANY freeware tools out there that will LLF a drive.

Ultimate Boot CD is a great live cd to get started with and parted magic has some amazing tools but if your super paranoid then feel free to use multiple LLF (Low Level Format) programs and run them a few times each.

Once you think you've gotten rid of everything, use some of the tools to recover the drive to see if you really have "deleted" the data.

Side Note: Government LLF's write 30+ times a variety of passes of 0s then 1s etc etc to scramble as much data as possible.

If your super paranoid you can always build Degaussing coils and go to town with them, then run the platters through an industrial shredder, melt them down etc etc :rofl:

Edited by psx2p

98d60dea.png

01 GMC Sonoma 4x4

RF T1500.1bd

DC LVL 4 12"

yea, anyone can retrieve deleted data

i have 3 programs that can completely wipe the drive clean, eraser, ccleaner, glary utilities

what you should do even if just a format, go ahead and format, and be sure to wipe the free space of the drive as well

i know a few programs do that, wiping the free space should completely get rid of all the data that may be able to be recovered, it may still show up somewhere if someone tried to retrieve it, but it would just be a broken file because its overwritten with 0s and 1s

a lot of these programs use similar DoD stuff and NAS, not sure if they are the same

i know ccleaner and glary are free, and they do work, as i recently wiped my free space on my harddrive, and then ran a recovery software and nothing that has previously been deleted on my harddrive was recoverable, just to be sure i recovered a bunch of files, and nothing happens when you open it, if you change file name to something else and do get it open, its just a bunch of symbols

plus ccleaner is a useful program for any computer, lol same as glary