Sonic Electronix

Vopa care to enlighten us on your background? besides fi hater? We know Nick's. Id like to hear what you do. You're obviously a nerd to a certain power (joke) but it might lend some credibility to your argument.

oh and one last thing.

those of you who cant contribute to a thread(like those of you who are dc ftw etc) stay out of it. There is a shit ton of information here that you could benefit from and those of you cluttering it up with dumb stuff is useless.

I am a master of the custodial arts, or a janitor if you want to be a dick about it.

In all seriousness, does it matter if I was? The facts are, Nick is a bullshit artist. So what if he is a sub builder. Sub builders don't impress me and never have. It does seem like a decent job though. I will roast his ass electrically and so would every EE proffessor I have ever had.

For the record, I am not a Fi hater. I would more than likely run an smd, a new fi q, or one of the neo btls if I knew I wouldn't lose any real money by trying them out.

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very seriously doubt that sub was seeing a real 3k I'd guess around 1k-1500

If he turned up the gain too much it could be was more..(but this is just a assumption, just like yours)

You do not need a magnetron to create microwaves...

what is being said is that because the Korean Amps increase the switching frequency on it creates microwaves because the amplifier is switching at such a high speed it is same frequency of a microwave causing it to travel to the tinsel and fry them. If the Korean amps did not switch at such a high frequency to make more power than they should, this problem would not be present.

We know what is being said. We have heard this bullshit imaginary excuse before. While this may be good enough for some, I will not accept this in the name of science, common sense, and the will to pursue truth and stop individuals/manufacturers who provide products to to the free consumer market without the integtrity of accountability and responsibility.

Let us not forget, that the 100k frequency range is not considered microwave by any electrical engineers and you see how fast nick dropped his theory when he was called on it. It is those pesky flat tinsels that are suffering from induction heating!!!!! Sure... Let's discuss this further...

I have put over 60+ amps thru my single 15" BTL, I have never had any tinsel issues.

Respecfully, congratulations, but that says nothing in the name of science or objectivity.

Secondly, the problems arise over extended use periods invloving heat and stress. I have had a pair of subs that I have been over rms'ing for 8 years and they are still fine. Does that make them the best subs, great, or the most reliable? No. Most subjective users would say yes.

To all those that keep hollering abuse, misuses, overpowering, ect. please remember he was running this sub at 1.4 ohm DCR and the coil shows no sign of heat, harmfull clipping, abuse, or anything of the sorts.

Yes, user error is always a factor in EVERY equation, and good products take that into consideration in the design phase.

Fi, the public demands answers. Nick has struck out twice. Enlighten us.

If it is bullshit excuse, please prove it wrong..what is happening...because I would love to raise the DAF even more.

If you know..please, educate me since I'm the so called "village idiot"

edit/ps.

your 'flux loop' is the actual coil itself..the tinsel is connected to the coil and it gives it the flux path...we've also got back EMF and other things that are going on as well that shoots electrons back up the coil and into the tinsel lead...assuming you are familiar with what litz wire is right? Why are transformers wound out of litz wire? Skinning effect perhaps due to high frequency resonance?

Nick is right.

All that stuff is happening because of the amps switching freq, it's worse then you think.

It has a skinning effect(induction) the leads consist of tons of wires which each "induct" eachother.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

If you want to sit here and pick apart what I say, that is fine. Please don't take it out of context. I would expect you to support Fi. I support the "idea of Fi" and other small manufacturers, just not their bullshit. The product failing is not what is under my scrutiny. It is the bullshit explanations (fake science) spewing loosely from the manufacturer.

As far as testimonials... I will leave you with this to think about and associate with our current topic: If I jump off the roof of my house, multiple times, without gettting seriously injured, does that deem it as "safe?"

Ha ha, don't put my words under scrutiny, but I will DEFINITELY scrutinize your itty bitty signature, lol. I don't even have FI in my truck anymore, I don't even have the T4000s in there. I just never updated the sig.

But what I have done is played with millions of set ups in all of my vehicles, FI/AA have been a constant presence, but so have many, many, many other products out there. This isn't a resume. But its very hard to claim objectivity, when its obviously not the case. I do enjoy the science debate, but let's remain objective if you want objectivity.

I was exemplifying objectivity and hard science in the whole previous thread. Itty bitty signature? Lol... If you only knew... I probably can't compare to your millions of setups though. Fi/AA dont sell 1/10000 of the product that Maxxsonics sells. That doesn't make maxxsonics better, but it illustrates how very small FI/AA really are in the car audio world. People need to realize that sometimes. Fi/AA is not that special... neither are their designs, service, or products. Cold hard Facts.

Seriously? YOu compare maxxsonics, to fi? That is a serious insult. Maxxsonics doesn't builds anything close to as good as Fi. More sold drivers doesn't means that it's better or something special. You know how many Xplods and JL subs get sold? Xplods get sold thousand times more then JL, does that mean they are worse? NO. Budget means everything. People don't want to pay money. Only a small amount and they don't shop at wallmart or buy something from Maxxsonics..

how does some one have 1 million set ups?

looks like my triple stacked POS

Seriously? Are you like that? Just because a few out of thousands, millions BTL's sold there a few failures you call it a POS? >< (very narrowminded..)

and yes my triple stacked btl was a piece of garbage, no other way to put it. did I say all were nope I sure didn't I said mine was.

>< (very poor at reading comprehension)

I will still be using FI in my house but I won't be using it in my car as I already have subs that will kill the btl

Excuse for misreading. But still i don't get it why you should use such strong language.

Fi/AA hasn't sold a TOTAL of a million of all their different subs since their inception.... just another example of general attitude of the forum that glorifies this company a bit too much. It has run rampant since I have been here.

I like Fi, somewhat. Indirectly, is probably the best identifier. Their presence promotes competition among manufacturers and breaks away from mainstream, but they have a ways to go before they gain any more respect from me. Nick has been making a fool out of himself and the company since he started into this topic.

I will give him a chance to redeem himself if dares. He better call Scott in for backup first.

He isn't making a fool of himself, he is proving you wrong time after time and i have to agree with him. If you have done some "advanced" psysichs you should know how microwaves and induction works.

I like the Q I liked the original Q more but this version will do for my house. I don't like how they are represented and represent them selves on the internet. but I tend to ignore reviews and stuff anyway

THey are bringing out a new Q, which isn't like the newer "beastly" Q but back to the older Q design.(more SQ then loudness)

Proving me wrong? Seriously? Where and when did he do that? Why don't you explain how he proved me wrong to the forums? You don't understand the material well enough to make that call and I think we all know you don't becuase you are sittign here with the "derived impression" that he is proving me wrong. lol circular logic is effective and accurate sometimes.

I was explaining how small Fi was becuase some ill-informed member stated that Fi has sold millions of BTLs I was illustrating that a not so respected company is selling 1000 times more product, hence fi is very very small. That is all

-All Black 6's

-HID'ed and LED'ed

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

what is being said is that because the Korean Amps increase the switching frequency on it creates microwaves because the amplifier is switching at such a high speed it is same frequency of a microwave causing it to travel to the tinsel and fry them. If the Korean amps did not switch at such a high frequency to make more power than they should, this problem would not be present.

We know what is being said. We have heard this bullshit imaginary excuse before. While this may be good enough for some, I will not accept this in the name of science, common sense, and the will to pursue truth and stop individuals/manufacturers who provide products to to the free consumer market without the integtrity of accountability and responsibility.

Let us not forget, that the 100k frequency range is not considered microwave by any electrical engineers and you see how fast nick dropped his theory when he was called on it. It is those pesky flat tinsels that are suffering from induction heating!!!!! Sure... Let's discuss this further...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Induction_heating_of_bar.jpg

Just so you know, the tinsel is not the part receiving the induction heating, and again, microwaves are not being created in sufficient amount to cause the heating you are describing, otherwise you would be dead by now.

That said I agree on the baskets and lead slap issues.

You beat me to it. I love this guy! Pure and simple: Induction is the transferrance of energy through lines of electro-magnetic flux that are emulating AROUND a wire carrying current... This wire must be wound, bound, or wrapped around within a magnetically permeable object to heat it by way of these induced lines of magnetic energy. In the most effective cases, an AC voltage which has collapsing lines of flux due to phase reversal. Depending on the density of material and application, higher frequency is more effective. The tinsel is the wire carrying current. It is NOT a permeable core and does not apply to the induction theory. Strike two, Nick. Bring some better science next time.

It should be no big deal for you to jump to a new theory since you dropped the fake "microwaving" one so fast.

I like this VOPA guy.

I disagree with nick. You're blaming your parts failing on amplifiers that get used VERY REGULARLY, and have caused no problems for me and MANY other people.

Thank you, sir. I am often unappreciated as well as under-appreciated. I can't stand a "bullshit artist." They profit off of lies and twisting the truths founded by hardworking intellegent contributors to society.

I have put over 60+ amps thru my single 15" BTL, I have never had any tinsel issues.

Respecfully, congratulations, but that says nothing in the name of science or objectivity.

Secondly, the problems arise over extended use periods invloving heat and stress. I have had a pair of subs that I have been over rms'ing for 8 years and they are still fine. Does that make them the best subs, great, or the most reliable? No. Most subjective users would say yes.

To all those that keep hollering abuse, misuses, overpowering, ect. please remember he was running this sub at 1.4 ohm DCR and the coil shows no sign of heat, harmfull clipping, abuse, or anything of the sorts.

Yes, user error is always a factor in EVERY equation, and good products take that into consideration in the design phase.

If it is bullshit excuse, please prove it wrong..what is happening...because I would love to raise the DAF even more.

edit/ps.

your 'flux loop' is the actual coil itself..the tinsel is connected to the coil and it gives it the flux path...we've also got back EMF and other things that are going on as well that shoots electrons back up the coil and into the tinsel lead...assuming you are familiar with what litz wire is right? Why are transformers wound out of litz wire? Skinning effect perhaps due to high frequency resonance?

PLEASE tell me yhou just didn't inform the world that you think Watts are Watts regardless of voltage to current ratio! OH MY WORD. That, sir, is very scary. I taught high schoolers better than that. You have that confounding variable in your "cheap koreans" vs a 6000gti theory. Low Voltage/High Current vs High Voltgage/Low Current.

A simple example for everyone to understand: If power is the same, regardless of the volt/amp ratio, why would power engineers decide to transmit electrical power in a high voltage state? The transformer outside of your house has essentially the same power (V x A) available on either side of the transformer (considering a fused limit which affects both power delivered to the transormer and out of it) On the supply side, we are seeing possibly 6500V (different depending on where you live) and the 220V on the output side going to your house.

Lets say your output is 220V and capable of delivering 200A (~ 44,000W), that means your supply is about the same power in an ideal world, but we have transformer losses to account for. Take that 6500V and say it needs about 6.8amps in an ideal world and up to 7.5 amps with substantial transformer loss.

Are these powers the same? Not exactly. There are also many other things invloved. True Power, Power Ratio, Apparent Power, Power Factor, Phase Angles, Reactive Power, Volt Amps, ect

So this will be your third theory. It is the best one so far. Litz wire is effective at reducing the skinning effect when high requency is involved, but this applies to larger conductors and higher frequencies more than anything. How many individual strands make up all the tinsels running into the sub? Plenty enough for the ripple on the output waveform from the big "cheap koreans." The more resistance built up in the tinsel leads can cuase more heat (voltage drop and current used). Why is that you think a mini ripple of insignificant voltage on the output of an amp operating aorund 100KHz is a problem when I can send GHz signals down a piece of single strand coaxial cable in my lab without a significant loss? You have a good theory going, but don't you think there are far too many strands in the tinsels and not a high enough voltage ripple at a high enough frequency to increase resistance to flame the tinsels without affecting the "low power" coil.

The flux loop you say. What's next? The flux capacitor? Tell me more.

The flux loop, you call it, is any conductor carry current (essentially) The speaker wires are every bit a part of the flux loop as the speaker wires running to the sub, I have never seen an "induction heating" or "microwaving" problem with them. I know the tinsels are under more mechanical stress obviously, but the fact remains we are not dealing with induction heating or microwaving as you say. Induction heating is not refferring to the heating of the conductor (tinsel), but rather the permeable core or casing through electromagnetic lines of flux(energy). The wire itself is not the primary source of heat in induction heating. I does recieve some heat in a true inductive heating element, but it is mostly a secondary fucntion of what is being heated. Care to re-evauluate your induction "theory?" The tinsel is not part of a Joule Heating device such as an electric range eye, but at this point that is more applicable than the inductive theory.

Every time the facts come out, you switch your story up and lead us down another obscure non-scientific wild journey into the land of bullshit. Where are we going next?

Your RCA doesn't do anything because the power which you use to send the gigahertz thru is waaaay lower then the ones coming out of the amp.

Your RCA probably has less strands.

Induction occurs when you have a rapid changing of the magnetic poles. The coil inducts the tinsels.

All I know is I send mine 7315 clamped each for burps.

And 4260 clamped each daily on cheap "d" amps.

Zero issues.

As for the "science" debate...well, I have "real world" facts..unclipped they will take huge "d" power without problems.

If you didnt scope the output or you play below tuning then just buy a recone and be done.

Btw..maxxsonics does not make a woofer even close to a btl/mayhem.

I have done torture tests countless times between various subs, 30-40 sub comparrisions....only a dd Z can take power like these without issue.

My thoughts, stay at rms and at or above tuning, unclipped and you wont have issues, if you want to overpower or play 25hz ehen your tuned to 35...be willing to purchase recones.

THis is what you can do if you can actually use subwoofer and set up amps.

Gains were set with a scope. 0 DB at 40Hz.

THIS IS MY QUESTION. If I was clipping badly enough to set my tinsels on fire, why is the coil in PERFECT SHAPE? The scuffs on it were caused AFTER It was blown, The other coil worked, The sub still worked just not as loud obviously... I REALLY THINK the tinsels frayed and than built heat. I NEVER PLAYED BELOW TUNING! So much arguing and none of it really helps me. Everyone that seen the coil in person agrees that the tinels failed, NO thermal damages, No signs of any damage to the coil....

I still think you were clipping. The square wave coming out of your amp is causing more excursion and a more rapid acceleration and deceleration which causes a LOT more stress to everything except the coil.

Vopa care to enlighten us on your background? besides fi hater? We know Nick's. Id like to hear what you do. You're obviously a nerd to a certain power (joke) but it might lend some credibility to your argument.

oh and one last thing.

those of you who cant contribute to a thread(like those of you who are dc ftw etc) stay out of it. There is a shit ton of information here that you could benefit from and those of you cluttering it up with dumb stuff is useless.

I am a master of the custodial arts, or a janitor if you want to be a dick about it.

In all seriousness, does it matter if I was? The facts are, Nick is a bullshit artist. So what if he is a sub builder. Sub builders don't impress me and never have. It does seem like a decent job though. I will roast his ass electrically and so would every EE proffessor I have ever had.

For the record, I am not a Fi hater. I would more than likely run an smd, a new fi q, or one of the neo btls if I knew I wouldn't lose any real money by trying them out.

look I wasnt trying to be a dick about it but you are arguing with someone who is very well respected in the audio community. If you want to try to remove some of the stigma associated with someone who is trying to technically argue with him it might help to explain your background. If you'd prefer to be a smart ass I'm pretty good at that game.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I very seriously doubt that sub was seeing a real 3k I'd guess around 1k-1500

If he turned up the gain too much it could be was more..(but this is just a assumption, just like yours)

edit/ps.

Nick is right.

All that stuff is happening because of the amps switching freq, it's worse then you think.

It has a skinning effect(induction) the leads consist of tons of wires which each "induct" eachother.

You are incredibly wrong. Way off, in fact. Please research and educate yourself before blabbing this terrible info on the forums for all to see.

-All Black 6's

-HID'ed and LED'ed

If you want to sit here and pick apart what I say, that is fine. Please don't take it out of context. I would expect you to support Fi. I support the "idea of Fi" and other small manufacturers, just not their bullshit. The product failing is not what is under my scrutiny. It is the bullshit explanations (fake science) spewing loosely from the manufacturer.

As far as testimonials... I will leave you with this to think about and associate with our current topic: If I jump off the roof of my house, multiple times, without gettting seriously injured, does that deem it as "safe?"

Ha ha, don't put my words under scrutiny, but I will DEFINITELY scrutinize your itty bitty signature, lol. I don't even have FI in my truck anymore, I don't even have the T4000s in there. I just never updated the sig.

But what I have done is played with millions of set ups in all of my vehicles, FI/AA have been a constant presence, but so have many, many, many other products out there. This isn't a resume. But its very hard to claim objectivity, when its obviously not the case. I do enjoy the science debate, but let's remain objective if you want objectivity.

I was exemplifying objectivity and hard science in the whole previous thread. Itty bitty signature? Lol... If you only knew... I probably can't compare to your millions of setups though. Fi/AA dont sell 1/10000 of the product that Maxxsonics sells. That doesn't make maxxsonics better, but it illustrates how very small FI/AA really are in the car audio world. People need to realize that sometimes. Fi/AA is not that special... neither are their designs, service, or products. Cold hard Facts.

Seriously? YOu compare maxxsonics, to fi? That is a serious insult. Maxxsonics doesn't builds anything close to as good as Fi. More sold drivers doesn't means that it's better or something special. You know how many Xplods and JL subs get sold? Xplods get sold thousand times more then JL, does that mean they are worse? NO. Budget means everything. People don't want to pay money. Only a small amount and they don't shop at wallmart or buy something from Maxxsonics..

how does some one have 1 million set ups?

looks like my triple stacked POS

Seriously? Are you like that? Just because a few out of thousands, millions BTL's sold there a few failures you call it a POS? >< (very narrowminded..)

and yes my triple stacked btl was a piece of garbage, no other way to put it. did I say all were nope I sure didn't I said mine was.

>< (very poor at reading comprehension)

I will still be using FI in my house but I won't be using it in my car as I already have subs that will kill the btl

Excuse for misreading. But still i don't get it why you should use such strong language.

Fi/AA hasn't sold a TOTAL of a million of all their different subs since their inception.... just another example of general attitude of the forum that glorifies this company a bit too much. It has run rampant since I have been here.

I like Fi, somewhat. Indirectly, is probably the best identifier. Their presence promotes competition among manufacturers and breaks away from mainstream, but they have a ways to go before they gain any more respect from me. Nick has been making a fool out of himself and the company since he started into this topic.

I will give him a chance to redeem himself if dares. He better call Scott in for backup first.

He isn't making a fool of himself, he is proving you wrong time after time and i have to agree with him. If you have done some "advanced" psysichs you should know how microwaves and induction works.

I like the Q I liked the original Q more but this version will do for my house. I don't like how they are represented and represent them selves on the internet. but I tend to ignore reviews and stuff anyway

THey are bringing out a new Q, which isn't like the newer "beastly" Q but back to the older Q design.(more SQ then loudness)

Proving me wrong? Seriously? Where and when did he do that? Why don't you explain how he proved me wrong to the forums? You don't understand the material well enough to make that call and I think we all know you don't becuase you are sittign here with the "derived impression" that he is proving me wrong. lol circular logic is effective and accurate sometimes.

I was explaining how small Fi was becuase some ill-informed member stated that Fi has sold millions of BTLs I was illustrating that a not so respected company is selling 1000 times more product, hence fi is very very small. That is all

Circular logic is a bad logic..

Excuse me, but you don't know any background from me.

I have studied a lot of sience i understand everything written on this forum, it's not on a high level at all.

You don't understand induction, it even can happen if you set up a gig and have too much cable left and just roll it up. It can also interfere with a lot of things and start to heat up.

Why would i want to take the time to prove you wrong? If someone really wants to know and he knows a bit about all this he will know who is right. I don't have the time to do all that. (i've posted more then enough allready.)

EDIT: VOPA don't insult me, this is nothing personal so don't take it personal, but i've seen quite a lot of misinformation typed by you. And apparently you know the basics of physics but don't really understand the effects it can have and how more "advanced" physics work.

EDIT2: seriously you still take it personal?

I didn't just took a physics class in college, i've studied siences at a universatary (european) degree, which quite frankly is a bit higher then most american schools. I also work in the industry. Thanks for calling me a waste of time, i don't really care about your opinion. If Nick or James or other smart people would tell me that i would believe them.

lol.... you kill me. Misinformation? Please start a thread of my misinformation. Maybe we could elect a panel of experts to analyze it.

It is so hilarious how my knowledge and concepts of physics and primarily, engineering, is waaaaaay beyond your scope and you just keep rambling on. we are all glad you took a physics class in college, but that makes you more dangerous than helpfull.

I am done with you. You are a waste of time to me and this thread.

-All Black 6's

-HID'ed and LED'ed

Bummer your woofers blew, in spectacular fashion I might add. Is your amp okay? I wonder if maybe you amp shot straight DC current to your sub making it lockup up in full excursion mode, snapping the tinsles, causing some sparks and burning the spiders? Opps, a little long winded on that one, but I hope you get my drift. Check the amp. :drink40:

On a side note did anyone catch Nick mentioning a new basket? o_o In for pics of that one. Come on Nick, just a little napkin sketch, a little doodle of whats to come. :P

LOL. Now if only some peoples self perceived scientific prowess included studying the English language for reading comprehension.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived