Things that piss you off in the Car Audio world.

Had someone ruin a pair of type r subs with a shitty Chinese amp. He thinks he might need a second one, I said stop buying shitty amps and your subs will last longer.

When people run power wires around the steering columb knuckle lol, I've seen them run it around the exhaust pipe too. Sometimes these kinda cars roll in at the shop i work at & they expect us to hook up a new amp with the existing wires. Alot of times this shit ain't even fused either, only reason the car didn't go down in flames is because they had over-rated cca 8 guage. 

When random shit acts up for no apparent reason. I think I'm losing a ground or something, because when I turn my turn signal on or put my car in reverse, suddenly my radio reception goes crystal clear. Some stations basically wouldn't come in yesterday unless one of those conditions were met, then bam, perfect. Today, all my stations are audibly coming in at 1-2 bars of signal, put turn signal on at they're all 3-4. Only thing that's changed is it's a little less humid today I think.

People's misperception of what it is that we do.  They think its all idiots blasting out their windows at intersections.  With no understanding of cabin gain and what it does to the sound or that a car stereo can actually sound good, not just be loud.  I got loud enough 17 years ago and have spent the time until now trying to make car stereo sound better, not just get loud. Try to tell people about the subtleties of car stereo and how enjoyable it can be and they glaze up and get all kneejerk reaction about it, never stopping to ask me what I know.  

On 6/30/2017 at 9:13 AM, Lbox88 said:

When random shit acts up for no apparent reason. I think I'm losing a ground or something, because when I turn my turn signal on or put my car in reverse, suddenly my radio reception goes crystal clear. Some stations basically wouldn't come in yesterday unless one of those conditions were met, then bam, perfect. Today, all my stations are audibly coming in at 1-2 bars of signal, put turn signal on at they're all 3-4. Only thing that's changed is it's a little less humid today I think.

Fucking stupid, pulled apart dash and it's the Axxess GMOS LAN wiring harness. Because of the CAN system I have, this adapter was supposed to keep some of the chimes and shit but there is a relay in it that turns off after ~90 seconds after I turn the key on, when that happens is when my signal craps out. Guess I need a new harness system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, Lbox88 said:

Fucking stupid, pulled apart dash and it's the Axxess GMOS LAN wiring harness. Because of the CAN system I have, this adapter was supposed to keep some of the chimes and shit but there is a relay in it that turns off after ~90 seconds after I turn the key on, when that happens is when my signal craps out. Guess I need a new harness system.

Got a newer/smaller/more basic model that didn't try to keep onstar and all that shit, hook it up, signal was even worse. so I start looking over the wires and shit, and I didn't hook up the Antenna Power wire, because I don't have some 90's POS with a retractable antenna. But then it hit me, that antenna power is wired into the car side of the adapter, not the radio/module side.....

Some cars have an inline booster on the antenna, or in between the antenna and radio.......

Hook it up to my remote lead and reception is fine now. Looks like the old harness had that wired internally, which is why it worked until the relay started to go out, where it only sent power to the booster when in reverse or the turn signal was on.

Bunch of bullshit, but it works now.

P2y-mhk95CAlEfum1FS4KIQQfK4GGxRTbGTyPAGZITmRApIO6doKLpVo_GZlwiOMsntPLalWx0SJQW_IuKPvoNPwk5pr1HGbhnBXEo9wipBd4enwoUi0enKrEErnLR7PRLpuj4r4t-hsUa1Ild8_zuHvNLvPh4JZguSN7K2qHHZwRGY5RNZE-0ggv0q99wvjqQlx9ySEFhgdX06BVcgTn5KZ0zUppl_uMpfGq8inKGY-H4M5cvVzvnGtERJH9KNZ7Lfsr14t8YB3IACyKc4rRObdOIVmbc0c3Iv2wZyAQ0QfrW8VEDPBgvFqkXgorO4Lqy_P-uuif2sxpqNXhzq5OG0Czip6vapSmqV2VpLagEmLljTjji8ml37BwndkGbIILhfB6Qa1Bo1D4FkoIrQlYgdLJjf3zQL4Vk_oBqsfSXE4rWVMyt4cg-LIvBEY7SwzrAgWxi3kjPtddG9_QFEDY7tSrN6CToPVYtLpFxdRze1eyQxUyODUBaTL65z93vUykB3eTgqgef317eJqi2Ks1oSYv0kDep5VTswKFiTK4PsAbCUVoE3ziUPBefEEgQRG4JTs1oLKe5mX0Wa5A1zulZOfaFtsRK7T1jakGWzjw9lkRhpvY9axminU=w1240-h930-no

Archived