Things that piss you off in the Car Audio world.

Not the point of the convo... if you are using CCA you're cheaping out on wire. Using larger CCA and a reducer will just bring back up the cost to the same or more than the correct size OFC...

If you want to max out electrical you're not gonna use CCA and aren't as concerned with cost.

I would never use cca for my amps or speakers

is the Audio Technix hybrid stuff CCA or something dferent

30% ofc, 70% cca, it's was built to carry as much current as 1/0 ofc, by being the size of 2/0 but cheaper than 1/0 ofc, it's a middle priced wire

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the point of the convo... if you are using CCA you're cheaping out on wire. Using larger CCA and a reducer will just bring back up the cost to the same or more than the correct size OFC...

If you want to max out electrical you're not gonna use CCA and aren't as concerned with cost.

30% ofc, 70% cca, it's was built to carry as much current as 1/0 ofc, by being the size of 2/0 but cheaper than 1/0 ofc, it's a middle priced wire

but it still is 70% CCA ................... as state above you would never use CCA

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

I really want to see how a 50' spool of CCA and reduces = the cost of 50' of OFC. I'm all for arguments but that is incorrect.

Yeah, I agree too
Ots about voltage drop. I'd rather do 2-3 runs of OFC to carry the amount of current I need than have to do 4-5 runs of CCA to accomplish the same thing. Once you factor in the costs of fuses, grommets, terminals... Whatever you need for the extra CCA you'd need to stack up against ofc, it doesn't end up being any cheaper.

This is what I'm talking about. Use 10' runs and I want to see your math :)

Alright ;)

Using Sky High prices for 1/0

CCA: $2.31/foot

OFC: $3.54/foot

3 runs of CCA vs 2 runs of OFC

30ft CCA: $69.30

20ft OFC: $70.80

Assuming this is going to be going to a rear battery bank, you will need 2 fuses per run of wire. If you are using buss bars with holes for wires, you don't need to worry about terminals either.

Fuse holders are $11.99 each

For 3 runs of CCA: 11.99*6 = $71.94

For 2 runs of OFC: 11.99*4 = $47.96

I can find fuses for $3 each shipped on ebay. You'd need 1 fuse per fuse holder

For 3 runs of CCA: 3*6 = $18

For 2 runs of OFC: 3*4 = $12

I will assume that other misc costs will be $5 per cable. Be it zip ties, grommets, wear/tear on tools... Whatever

For 3 runs of CCA: 5.00*3 = $15

For 2 runs of OFC: 5.00*2 = $10

Total cumulative cost

3 runs of CCA

• Wire: $69.30
  • Fuse holders: $71.94
  • Fuses: $18.00
  • Misc: $15.00

****Total****

$174.24

2 runs of OFC

• Wire: $70.80
  • Fuse holders: $47.96
  • Fuses: $12.00
  • Misc: $10.00

****Total****

$140.76

Now you see which one is cheaper. Now take a look at the voltage drop

Aluminum:

Aluminum_zps8f1489ea.png

Copper:

Copper_zps810f757b.png

I know what you are thinking: "But that's aluminum, not CCA"

Alright... I hear ya.

I'm going to use this table. Assuming pure OFC vs a 10% copper / 90% aluminum mix

Capture-45_zps9d0dc51a.png

Copper: 10.6/2 runs of wire = 5.3

CCA: (10.6*10% + 17*90%)/3 runs of wire = 5.453

So even still: OFC is more conductive. And cheaper.

:)

Edit: It was brought to my attention that not everyone uses fuses/fuse holders.

If you cut out fuses/holders
Your cost for the CCA is $84.30
And OFC is $80.80
Even if you ignore the cost of everything except the wire itself
CCA: $69.30
OFC: $70.80
That's a $1.50 difference. But you still have to deal with another run of wire.
Tiny difference in cost, and a tiny difference in conductivity. But even with that $1.50 difference, copper still wins in a cost/performance ratio. Just barely, but it wins.

but it still is 70% CCA ................... as state above you would never use CCA

I stated I would never use CCA for amps and speakers

I didn't mention runs or the charging system.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I stated I would never use CCA for amps and speakers

I didn't mention runs or the charging system.

I stand Corrected Sir

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

This... Look at what he said... Facepalm

image_zps406ff108.jpg

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

lmao at 1x L7 breaking his window... yano what L7 meant in my day? :P "L 7 - square - loooooser" -Sandlot

lol

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

starting to buy all the components for an install and then having to stop to handle "more important business"

oh and when people steal your shit and leave you bass less.

ouch

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

This... Look at what he said... Facepalm

image_zps406ff108.jpg

I'd prefer the Grunge band over the stupid square sub anyday.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Archived