DIY round ports, any size you want!

I thought this would be something cool to share with everyone, and perhaps it might be cool or useful enough to be a sticky... im not sure if its been thought of before, but its something that came to my mind a couple weeks ago when i ran into the problem of not being able to buy the size of round port i needed.... the 6" pvc wasnt big enough and 8" pvc was just way too big...

i would also like to add that 6"pvc actually has an ID of 5.75"ish(i found that out today)

anyways, ive learned that fiberglass is your friend when your building some bat shit crazy stuff... anyways all you need is plenty of fiberglassing supplys, packing tape,box cutter,pencil, straight edge and some card board.... and i guess a mild mixture with acetone works great to get this shit off of your skin(nail polish remover works great also...

its almost the same concept as kerfing, but you dont have to cut out any slats... you just have to take your time and basically roll the cardboard and kinda fold it in between the ribs that are in the middle of the cardboard... keep rolling the cardboard back a forth until it isnt stiff and makes the cylinder shape that you want....

this is how i did mine...

now i actually needed a 6.5" diameter port... you will need a round shim of some sort, the first thought that came to my mind was the cut some 6.5"mdf rings... but i got lucky and happened to have one of my favorite pos kicker 6.5's laying around, so i put it to good use... anyways, you want to wrap the card board around your shim and tape it... then get your handy pencil and on the inside draw a line where the cardboard ends... then cut your tape and use a box cutter to cut along that line... once you cut that excess off everything should line up perfect and it should be the correct size........ butt up the ends and tape them together... should look a little something like this.... i went ahead and used some multi purpose cement on the seam just to make sure it wasnt going any where..

IMG_20110523_223259.jpg

then its on to the fun part... FIBERGLASS!!! i did a layer of fiberglass cloth first so the cardboard would keep the correct shape... i used the cloth first just because its not as messy as chop mat... you want to keep your shim(s) in atleast through the first batch of resin or that round shape will end up being an oval...

im still working on my first one, this morning i did a double layer of chop, and i just need to do another single layer on the outside, hack off the excess and resin the inside and it should be pretty much good to go..

IMG_20110531_185942.jpg

IMG_20110531_190057.jpg

IMG_20110531_185907.jpg

IMG_20110531_185839.jpg

IMG_20110531_185839.jpg

IMG_20110531_221314.jpg

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Good stuff! I heard its better to use one large port than multiple smaller ports. I might try this idea on my next box instead of the 6" pvc

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

what did you do about the inside of the port? idk if i like the idea of the cardboard inside, i would resin it atleast or something, thats just me though, other than that, it looks great!

ahh you didnt read young grasshopper..lol.. that was about the last thing i said... also i noticed that the pics over exagerate the roughness of the inside.. it doesnt look that rough in person... but im def going to resin the inside and ends...

Creative idea.. im in for the finished product.

thanks man, ill keep posting back as progress happens

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

Good stuff! I heard its better to use one large port than multiple smaller ports. I might try this idea on my next box instead of the 6" pvc

yep its normally better for airflow... im actually using 2 of these... im running 2 6"pvc(5.75) ports now

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

IMG_20110601_145202.jpg

IMG_20110601_145535.jpg

that would be the 6"pvc inside of it... the port warped about an eigth of an inch from the heat of the resin hardening... not perfectly round but damn close enough for me... needs a tad more resin on the inside.. the groves are filling pretty well.. this thing is a tank.... onto the second port...

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.