I have 1998 jeep cherokee classic with the 4.0 L inline 6. With the aftermarket intake and exhaust im making about 200 hp 240 torque. im on a pretty strict budget but I want to get a little more out of it. It is my daily diver but I don't really care about gas mileage. Any ideas on how I can get a little more outa this thing? PS: I don't like drag race this thing except for friendly street competitions. I do a little bit of offloading but other than that its a daily driver.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Crunch Powerone 300.2 mid/highs + AP15001D bass

Soon to be two OA18s

Cadence coax and sony tweets

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

No hating on my ghetto system plz. (Im poor)

Weight reduction.

Sorry but there is no way I could sacrifice my subs for the sake of moving a little bit faster.

but thnx for the idea.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

Cams, port head, street friendly ecu tune, lotta stuff...

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Cold air intake. Bigger throttle body. TB Spacer. Intake manifold. Thermal gaskets. Fuel Injectors. Pistons. Pulleys. Headers. Full Cat Back Exhaust. ECU Tune.

Thats a basic list of things you can do to a naturally aspirated engine to bump up power.

Its also the list of things I'm doing on my car. Start with a cold air intake.

Good cheap way to make the car breathe a little better: Take a dremel and port out the intake and exhaust manifolds so they match the holes on the gaskets. Just take care not to eat through to the outside. I tend to go easier on the exhaust because with the heat it sees it will be more prone to cracking if you go too thin.

You can also try porting the head as well, but don't go crazy or you can do more harm than good.

What exhaust setup do you have? On many cars the exhaust manifold(s) and downpipes are BIG restrictions. Don't go cutting your cat off; on a 600hp SBC, cats rob less than 5hp. Stepping up 1/4 to 1/2" on the tubing diameter can make a huge difference. Going too big will hurt you though, particularly down low.

As for intake, as much air as cold as it can get. Keep the filter high so mud, rainwater, snow, etc. don't get sucked into the motor, unless you like swapping engines everytime you drive through a puddle. If you have to put it down low, find somewhere where your tires and cars in front of you won't throw shit into the filter and where it won't get submerged if you drive through mud and shit, or use a filter sock (I believe is the right term.)

NONE OF THIS WILL MATTER WITHOUT A GOOD TUNE! I DON'T MEAN THOSE STUPID EBAY CHIPS THAT CHEAT THE IAT SENSOR INTO BEING COLD ALL THE TIME! THEY DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT WORK! Get your car dyno tuned by a REPUTABLE shop! You may gain like 5 peak hp, but 50hp where it counts. I've seen it happen.

All else fails, I've heard the 4.0's like boost =P

Too many projects, too little time...

• 3 weeks later...

hei style distributor

• 2 weeks later...

Not much you can do without some cash on the Jeep I6. It's a torqy motor. They respond well to stroking and camming.

(haha) <_<

2007 Mazda 3s Sport- Custom Short Ram, Vibrant 4-2-1 Header, Trubendz Exhaust, Magnaflow Resonator and XL Muffler, Mazdaspeed Springs, 18" Baccarats with Tigerpaw GTZ 225/40R 18's

Awards:

MECA Phat Car 1st Place

MECA Show n' Tell : 112.5db's on whatever was in my CD changer

MECA SQL Stock 1st Place

MECA Import Mild 2nd Place

How mug would cams cost? I did the cold air intake and the tune and it sound awesome but I only got like 3 more hp.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

Archived