Distortion Detector VS O-scope REASON #11 to use the DD-1

this is a neat new tool but its has NOT made the oscope obsolete by any means. i did an experiment a little while back you can try. tune your mids with a 1000hz tone until its just under clipping. now, at the same volume, play a 100-200hz tone. try it and see if you dont get clipping. i had a video of this but for some reason it got corrupted on photobucket but i could make one again.

now if this thing had 40hz, 100hz, 500hz, and 5000hz. then it would replace my need for an oscope. and that would be nice, because my scope is large and needs to be plugged in. maybe the next version can have those?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with skittles. The fact that the DD-1 only uses 40Hz and 1000Hz is the reason why I bought my scope. Don't get me wrong, I am going to buy one eventually, but I still feel that my scope is needed for setting gains for midbass and tweeters. I have seen the discrepancies in waveforms of different frequencies when tuning an amp with a scope like skittles is talking about, and that is what leads me to believe that my scope can be more universal due to the ability to read any frequency. I'm not trying to argue, it just doesn't seem to take over all of the duties that I need my scope for when it comes to audio.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something you scopers aren't thinking about... at what percentage of distortion can you visually detect clipping (since thats what you can see with an oscope)?

Lets say you can't see anything smaller than 5% distortion because the waveform is on such a tiny screen that it doesn't even pixelate the change. Using the dd-1, you get down to 1% distortion... and its detecting things you are not seeing because you are looking for clipping/flat spots, not distortion.

____

read

____

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Something you scopers aren't thinking about... at what percentage of distortion can you visually detect clipping (since thats what you can see with an oscope)?

Lets say you can't see anything smaller than 5% distortion because the waveform is on such a tiny screen that it doesn't even pixelate the change. Using the dd-1, you get down to 1% distortion... and its detecting things you are not seeing because you are looking for clipping/flat spots, not distortion.

____

read

____

The amount of accuracy depends on the scope.

I think the point in all this that has been missed buy the scope owners is, What all do you use your scope for? I'm going to say that most of them only to use them to set gains. I myself use it for more then gain setting, but I am sure I am one of the very few that doesn't only mess in car audio.

So for those of you that will never use a scope to its true potential a DD-1 is the smart buy. I know damn well, there will be one in my tool box one day for the quick and easy set for cars.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

this is a neat new tool but its has NOT made the oscope obsolete by any means. i did an experiment a little while back you can try. tune your mids with a 1000hz tone until its just under clipping. now, at the same volume, play a 100-200hz tone. try it and see if you dont get clipping. i had a video of this but for some reason it got corrupted on photobucket but i could make one again.

now if this thing had 40hz, 100hz, 500hz, and 5000hz. then it would replace my need for an oscope. and that would be nice, because my scope is large and needs to be plugged in. maybe the next version can have those?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with skittles. The fact that the DD-1 only uses 40Hz and 1000Hz is the reason why I bought my scope. Don't get me wrong, I am going to buy one eventually, but I still feel that my scope is needed for setting gains for midbass and tweeters. I have seen the discrepancies in waveforms of different frequencies when tuning an amp with a scope like skittles is talking about, and that is what leads me to believe that my scope can be more universal due to the ability to read any frequency. I'm not trying to argue, it just doesn't seem to take over all of the duties that I need my scope for when it comes to audio.

unfortunately, you are both worrying about something that niether one of you should worry about. lol - i dont know how many ways i need to explain it.

you dont need to read every frequency. Not necessary at all. If you feel it is, then go for it but it isnt.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

why does the meter only read down to 1% thd??...ppl have said that 1% is actually high and that it should be down to .1% to be fully useful...what do you say to argue that??...and this is an actual question, not tryin to be a dick

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

an oscope still has its uses, this just isnt one of them anymore.

its kinda like bag phones, they were pretty awesome when they were all you had for a mobile device, now theres new better things or the use. Its just how technology works.

If you have your bass, treb, eqs, ect turned to zero like the instructions for the DD-1 indicate, then you don't need to test all of these frequencies. We did 40Hz and 1kHz so that we could do full range amplifier and subwoofer only amplifiers.

in my test it was all flat. used a tone generator. i mentioned those frequencies so you can tune a 4way system. just my suggestion for what would make me interested in the product. i understand i am an odd market though and it may not be beneficial to appeal to that.

maybe theres something i dont understand with what i did. thats always possible. i can make that video again and show it to you and you can tell me if i understand it correctly or not. i would just PM it to you. if you dont mind

I see what you are saying, but just like Steve said; turn your crossovers off, set gain, put crossovers back. Crossovers don't add gain (unless someone really f'd up lol).

i understand that for the higher frequencies but i would still like to show you what im talking about with the lower frequencies. maybe next time im at ray's shop he will let me test it on a dd1 and see if what i saw on the scope applies to the dd1. it would be interesting. hell, im going to be headed through sac on the 27th. i'd even be willing to drop by steve's and test it real quick but im sure he will be working at the time i would be driving through. that is if the GF doesnt mind sitting around while we play with electronics lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

buy her a purse or some shoes. she'll be good.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

why does the meter only read down to 1% thd??...ppl have said that 1% is actually high and that it should be down to .1% to be fully useful...what do you say to argue that??...and this is an actual question, not tryin to be a dick

1% THD is audible for most people 8000hz and above

humans struggle to hear sine wave distortion in low frequencies... so if 99% of the data resides 8000hz and below and u have 1% or less distortion from 20hz-8000hz you have nothing to worry about

1% is not high at all

as i tried to elude to, and tony reaffirmed... the scopes sensitivity and the users eyes/knowledge dictate what % thd you are allowing by setting gains with an oscope... for all you know when using a scope you are allowing 4%, or 11%, etc distortion simply because you cannot see it or dont know exactly what you are looking at, at least with the dd-1 you know for a fact it gets no greater than 1%

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I think one thing that is not being "overlooked" but understated...

Not everyone on the street or every car audio enthusiast knows how to work an O-scope. I use one occasionally at work, but have never had the opportunity to use one in a car audio scenario.

This tool will allow the hobbyist to afford a tool that will 1,000% help them keep from destroying their equipment, something they couldn't get before without going to a shop and having someone set it for them.

I can't express how excited I am about this product and what it puts on the table. Now, just getting the wife to agree with the expense, and I will have on in my tool-bag right next to the DMM.

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5