Distortion Detector VS O-scope REASON #11 to use the DD-1

why does the meter only read down to 1% thd??...ppl have said that 1% is actually high and that it should be down to .1% to be fully useful...what do you say to argue that??...and this is an actual question, not tryin to be a dick

Most amplifiers on the market today would just light up the Distortion Detected LED constantly if I had set the threshold at 0.1%

That signal is not clipped. The spike looks to be from having a crossover on or something like that.

...did you read? At all? That was the entire point of the post. Dirty signal doesn't necessarily have to be clipping. Distortion lives in other ways.

I read fine but you missed my point. The spike on the sine wave is not distortion imo but from something else like noise. I have seen this before.

That distortion in the waveform is caused by a Class A/B amplifier with the output device bias adjustment (internal) set too low. This is called "Crossover Distortion". NO not Crossover as in Low Pass ect! Crossover as in where the waveform crosses the 0V point and goes from positive voltage to negative voltage. The DD-1 looks for harmonic distortion, that is anything that is a harmonic of the fundamental. What that means is if you are playing 40Hz (the fundamental), the tool looks for things

that are not 40Hz, which any noise, "spikes" whatever are not going to be 40Hz because if they were they would be the same as the fundamental and you wouldn't

see them at all. Harmonic Distortions of 40Hz would be 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz...ect

Well there you have it . I didn't know it read harmonic distortion. I just figured it was reading the sine wave for squaring. Very cool I can't wait to get one.

why does the meter only read down to 1% thd??...ppl have said that 1% is actually high and that it should be down to .1% to be fully useful...what do you say to argue that??...and this is an actual question, not tryin to be a dick

Most amplifiers on the market today would just light up the Distortion Detected LED constantly if I had set the threshold at 0.1%

so it is 100% ok to only read to 1%??...i dont think MY amps have a lower thd than 1% but im still interested

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

i think that you're thinking of the amplifiers rating. not of actual distortion.

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

Anyone?

i asked same thing on youtube..was something stupid like 300,000watts LOL i don't fully remember but you wont blow it..trust me.

im excited to get it :drink40:

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

176volts.

You wont ever get that so dont worry

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz