How do I fiberglass on a vertical surface?

So my friend just got a new 2011 Jetta and we are starting the build on this car that is only a few weeks old. :clapping:

So in the trunk behind both wheel wells is a space big enough to put an amp on each side so I want to fiberglass a rack in on each side.

The way I was going to do it (or how I fiberglassed in the past) was the cover everything with painters tape, make a mold, and then build off that.

So here is where I need some more experienced minds. How do I keep all the fiberglass and resin from just sliding down to the bottom since it is a semi-vertical surface? Do I let the resin sit and get tacky first?

Any help would be great

Thanks guys,

Dan

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

One question, do you plan on foiling on top of the tape? if so then you can do this, apply a light coat of resin on top of the foil, apply the fiberglass mat (not chopped mat, it's just too messy) once it sticks, apply a coat or 2 on the mat (ensuring it is wet thru), then move to the next area. lay about 2-3 layers let dry then remove. the resin is gonna drip no matter what just work from the top to the bottom and let gravity help you out along the way. I hope that answered your question.

svc2.png

ttf.png

2006 Dodge Charger

(2) Kinetic 3800

(1) DC Power 270XP

(4) T1-12D4

(1) T2500BDCP

(2) T400.4

7.5 cubic ft.

(2) 6 in ports thru the rear deck

(2) T165.2

(2) T169.3

Thanks everyone for replying so fast! Chris do I need to use foil? In the past I only used tape and the resin never penetrated.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

This is why they make lay up resin.

You can spray glue the mat to the tape, then do a first "cold" coat. Let dry, then work as normal.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

You can spray glue the mat to the tape, then do a first "cold" coat. Let dry, then work as normal.

Whoa whoa. So glue the mat on with contact spray or something?

And sorry but what is a cold coat?

Noobie here.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Yes Spray glue FTW!

You could spray contact cement thru a gun but not really called for...just use this

Edited by PUNKYOU007

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

You don't have to, we do at my shop. I have done it that way for years. But as ray has stated you can you use a spray adhesive, spray a light coat, lay your mat and it will stick just the same. When working in other people car, I have done it this way. My method is as follows but please use what works best for you...

Tape off my area

Apply a light coat of spray adhesive to the tape

Apply my foil in strips to the area going to to be glassed (overlapping them or laying them side by side as close as possible for no gaps)

Apply a few coats of wax ( so that the foil peels off easy)

Then I start by either sticking my mat to the foil by using small amounts of resin, then laying the mat on top to stick, or using the spray adhesive make the mat sick then working from top to bottom.

depending on how large the area and how "hot" you mix your resin I can normally get a good area one with one quart size container. But Ray's method work just as well also..

Edited by ChrisLun

svc2.png

ttf.png

2006 Dodge Charger

(2) Kinetic 3800

(1) DC Power 270XP

(4) T1-12D4

(1) T2500BDCP

(2) T400.4

7.5 cubic ft.

(2) 6 in ports thru the rear deck

(2) T165.2

(2) T169.3

I know everyone has their own methods for what works for them and thats great. I have use foil 2 times and in the end, I wondered why I used the foil.

Why do YOU use the foil?

My method is like this..... tape the area up vertically overlapping the areas you want your edge to end. Then tape the same area horizontally.

Then wax it a few times.

Apply a thin coat of resin and then add mat. 1.5oz chopped mat is all I recommend.

I suggest 3 - 4 layers of 1.5oz before you pull the mold and then add some after that. If you use less weight mat (box store mat packs are .75oz) then more layers will be needed IMO.

Use a fiberglass roller to push the resin into the mat and get out all the bubbles.

Oh yeah, besure to protect all the surrounding areas with drop cloths/plastic. Resin likes to wander around when you least expect it.

Edited by EpicenterDesigns

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!