06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

not sure if its true, but ive heard of people bribing the smog testers to "passing" the car, so you don't have to pull all that off and then put it back on... :shrug:

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Ok guys I have a new thought here. I was thinking the other day about being able to somehow get my girl's new Kindle Fire's to basically turn into monitors. Well I actually have a of thoughts on that. I was thinking today, cause my girls have had these for about a week and I'm finding some habits with them that are changing the way I think about this. Let's go through them and see where we get.

So as I said I've been monitoring my girls with these tablets. I got them the Kindle Fires after a week or so with the Pantech Digital P.O.S. tablets that my parents got them for Christmas. No dig on my parents, but those were just crap tablets to deal with. I won't go into the specifics. So last week I got the new Kindle Fire's in and set them up and put music on them, which I couldn't do with the Pantech's, put Netflix on, which I couldn't do with the Pantech's, as well as put a couple of apps on them that we'd downloaded on our phones that they play with, which we couldn't do with the Pantech. Getting the jist of why we switched!?

So what I've come up with, is that my girls are developing very different tastes. They no longer watch the same movies, or listen to the same music, and things like that. I've recently, to my pleasure, discovered an app that allows me to use my wifi on my phone as a hotspot. I've tried it now with my Galaxy tablet, as well as these Fire's and they all work! I'm very pleased about that.

My original plan with the tablet install was to get dual video screens for the headrests to use with the HDMI set up I'm using with the tablet. That way I have the ability to use my tablet to play movies, and they can watch them in the back. Now I'm thinking this:

Option 1:

* Instead of dual headrest monitors, go to a single 7" monitor behind the center console, centering between both girls, for video direct from the Galaxy (main tablet).

* Do a custom headrest mount for the Kindle Fire Tablets that would slide into the mini usb adapter which would be fixed into the mount. This would allow for charging while in the car.

* Use a 3.5mm extension that leads to a port in the rear seat center console for headphones. They won't be able to listen to anything without headphones due to not watching the same thing. They already fight over it now. Turn it down, etc.

* The 3.5mm would have to plug in manually as the tablet is slid into the mount due to the 3.5mm jack and the usb port being on opposite sides (what genius decided this crap I don't know but they should be fired, no pun intended).

Here's my issues with Option 1 and what I need to do research on:

1 - I don't like that they have to manually input the 3.5 mm jack. I want it to be as easy as can be with the set up. Meaning I'd rather them be able to just slide it in and it works. Obviously they have to select what they want to watch, or do, and obviously when it's in the mount they can't really play games. That's besides the point.

2 - I don't know if I can get sound through the usb port as well as charging at the same time. I have to check that out. If anyone has any info that they can pass on as far as suggestions, experience etc, I'm welcome to any of it!

3 - I would like the ability to control volume on the headphones without having to do it through the Fire's. The Kindle Fire does not have an external volume control. You have to tap the screen, then you have to adjust the volume on it, and it's already very difficult and notchy for them to work. The ability to operate volume on the headphones externally would be great.

That's pretty much it on issues for option 1.

Option 2:

* Keep the dual head rest monitor idea.

* Make the custom mounts for the tablets which will also house the monitors in the background so that when the tablets are out, you can see the monitors. When the tablets are put in the mounts, the monitors are behind them.

* Use a 3.5mm extension that leads to a port in the rear seat center console for headphones. They won't be able to listen to anything without headphones due to not watching the same thing. They already fight over it now. Turn it down, etc.

* The 3.5mm would have to plug in manually as the tablet is slid into the mount due to the 3.5mm jack and the usb port being on opposite sides (what genius decided this crap I don't know but they should be fired, no pun intended).

This will do the same thing as Option 1 in general, but this will have the monitors at eye level for them vs looking down to the center console. I'm thinking "ergonomically" better than looking down.

My issues with Option 2 are these:

1 - If their tablets need charging for some reason, they won't be able to charge them in the mounts while watching movies on the monitors, cause it would then cover the monitor and not allow for watching.

2 - If they need to remove the kindle's to watch the monitors, it needs to be easy enough to be able to do so. Again, I need this to be easy and very simplistic for them to operate on their own. I can't do it for them, cause I'll be driving.

The only other thing I can think of that would make this even better, would be the ability to have the HDMI outs that would go to the monitors, go to a USB and the Fires act as monitors. I'm not sure there's even a possible way to do that. But I'm going to research it all and see what I can come up with.

What do you guys think, what are your suggestions, what else you got?

Ok I've found this which I think would work well for what I need. I need two obviously, two tablets, two headphones, two amps.

FIIO-E9 Headphone Amplifier

Manual

Now then here's my dilemma! I need to find out, if I can get the sound through the usb port. If I can then I have another issue I need to find out. If I can get the sound through usb port, then I can simply run the usb cable to this amp and it'll do direct sound through there, if I'm understanding correctly. However, if i do that, I have charging issues cause I only have one port out on the tablet.

So what I'm wondering is, since the headphone amplifier has to be ran with power, it has it's own power supply, then would that power transfer through the usb cable and be able to charge the tablet? Or not? If not, can I use a powered usb hub, to charge the tablet and also pass the cable through to the usb port in on the headphone jack?

What do you guys think?

I may start a new thread on this, so that it will get more out there and i can get more feedback on it. If this works, I may save some money and not do headrest monitors and just go with option 1. They're going to use these tablets more than they would watch the monitors and frankly it'll be better for me cause I can still listen to music too while they do what they want on their tablets.

Ok guys I have a new thought here. I was thinking the other day about being able to somehow get my girl's new Kindle Fire's to basically turn into monitors. Well I actually have a of thoughts on that. I was thinking today, cause my girls have had these for about a week and I'm finding some habits with them that are changing the way I think about this. Let's go through them and see where we get.

So as I said I've been monitoring my girls with these tablets. I got them the Kindle Fires after a week or so with the Pantech Digital P.O.S. tablets that my parents got them for Christmas. No dig on my parents, but those were just crap tablets to deal with. I won't go into the specifics. So last week I got the new Kindle Fire's in and set them up and put music on them, which I couldn't do with the Pantech's, put Netflix on, which I couldn't do with the Pantech's, as well as put a couple of apps on them that we'd downloaded on our phones that they play with, which we couldn't do with the Pantech. Getting the jist of why we switched!?

So what I've come up with, is that my girls are developing very different tastes. They no longer watch the same movies, or listen to the same music, and things like that. I've recently, to my pleasure, discovered an app that allows me to use my wifi on my phone as a hotspot. I've tried it now with my Galaxy tablet, as well as these Fire's and they all work! I'm very pleased about that.

My original plan with the tablet install was to get dual video screens for the headrests to use with the HDMI set up I'm using with the tablet. That way I have the ability to use my tablet to play movies, and they can watch them in the back. Now I'm thinking this:

Option 1:

* Instead of dual headrest monitors, go to a single 7" monitor behind the center console, centering between both girls, for video direct from the Galaxy (main tablet).

* Do a custom headrest mount for the Kindle Fire Tablets that would slide into the mini usb adapter which would be fixed into the mount. This would allow for charging while in the car.

Here's my issues with Option 1 and what I need to do research on:

1 - I don't like that they have to manually input the 3.5 mm jack. I want it to be as easy as can be with the set up. Meaning I'd rather them be able to just slide it in and it works. Obviously they have to select what they want to watch, or do, and obviously when it's in the mount they can't really play games. That's besides the point.

2 - I don't know if I can get sound through the usb port as well as charging at the same time. I have to check that out. If anyone has any info that they can pass on as far as suggestions, experience etc, I'm welcome to any of it!

3 - I would like the ability to control volume on the headphones without having to do it through the Fire's. The Kindle Fire does not have an external volume control. You have to tap the screen, then you have to adjust the volume on it, and it's already very difficult and notchy for them to work. The ability to operate volume on the headphones externally would be great.

That's pretty much it on issues for option 1.

Option 2:

* Keep the dual head rest monitor idea.

* Make the custom mounts for the tablets which will also house the monitors in the background so that when the tablets are out, you can see the monitors. When the tablets are put in the mounts, the monitors are behind them.

This will do the same thing as Option 1 in general, but this will have the monitors at eye level for them vs looking down to the center console. I'm thinking "ergonomically" better than looking down.

My issues with Option 2 are these:

1 - If their tablets need charging for some reason, they won't be able to charge them in the mounts while watching movies on the monitors, cause it would then cover the monitor and not allow for watching.

2 - If they need to remove the kindle's to watch the monitors, it needs to be easy enough to be able to do so. Again, I need this to be easy and very simplistic for them to operate on their own. I can't do it for them, cause I'll be driving.

The only other thing I can think of that would make this even better, would be the ability to have the HDMI outs that would go to the monitors, go to a USB and the Fires act as monitors. I'm not sure there's even a possible way to do that. But I'm going to research it all and see what I can come up with.

What do you guys think, what are your suggestions, what else you got?

I like the first mount idea (Option 1) and just buy headphones with volume buttons connected to them. As far as mounting goes they should have an option that allows for mounting and volume at the same time would be crazy if they didn't produce a dock that charged and had a headphone out. I would be interested to see this because its one very exciting idea and I would love to see where you mount the headphone port but it doesn't sound impossible just a huge pain in the ass will be a great turn out in the end though.

Option 2 seems like overkill and while it would be cool to have I doubt it would get used as much as you would want it to.

This may sound completely crazy but I am sitting in my shop right now doing a build on an old school and its driving me nuts so I started brainstorming your dilemma feel free to tell me I am crazy but why not keep the original idea and build a pivoting mount that docks the fire and is mounted closer to each girl and when not in use moved away and folded down away from them. May sound crazy but it would allow you to keep your original idea and incorporate the new one.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the one single montior for the front stuff. The two is overkill. They're honestly going to be doing stuff more with their tablets individually than they'll use the video or whatever from the front. So I think the one monitor in the center will be fine. I'm going to try and see how I could possibly do that and make it look good.

I think that FIIO E9 module is going to work perfectly as far as what I need it to do. It has a pretty big knob on it for volume control, so no worries about how to turn it up and down via a button or whatever. The other thing I liked about it, was that you turn it on by turning the volume knob clockwise, and then you turn it off by turning it counter clockwise. No power button to push, nothing to worry about finding. Turn the knob. Simplistic. Remembering that they're 5 and 7 now so simpler the better.

I know, at the moment, that the sound will come out of that usb cable. My only issue now is whether or not I can charge the tablet via the same usb cable, or if it has to come from another source. So what I'm hoping it will do is pass the charge from the headphone amplifier, eliminating the need for a second cable to a car charger. If that's the case, I'm home free, this is what I'm going to do.

I should be able to order the amplifier in the next week or so. They're a little pricey but it's perfect for what I want it to do so I'll be fine with the price. I'm soo deep in this build anyway, what's another 200.00 at this point.

I'm going to do some more research and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the input.

Archived