06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut out. New template on top, old on the bottom.

DSC05328.jpg

Now using those templates, I put a flush trim bit in, and cut my new final templates for the bottom layer of the cover.

DSC05329.jpg

Care to explain a little further on the transition bestween the first and the second pic? It's 5:45 in the morning and i havent slept yet so my brain is kind od sloooooow.. One way I see it done is by drilling an exact hole for the trim bit and then just make sure you keep the bearing firm against the 1st template, so it wont cut to faar into the 2nd one.

Cut out. New template on top, old on the bottom.

DSC05328.jpg

Now using those templates, I put a flush trim bit in, and cut my new final templates for the bottom layer of the cover.

DSC05329.jpg

Care to explain a little further on the transition bestween the first and the second pic? It's 5:45 in the morning and i havent slept yet so my brain is kind od sloooooow.. One way I see it done is by drilling an exact hole for the trim bit and then just make sure you keep the bearing firm against the 1st template, so it wont cut to faar into the 2nd one.

That's exactly what I did. I didn't take pics, my bad, but that's the idea. I took a half inch drill bit, drilled slow and straight, and just put the bit in the hole and went from there. It worked out perfectly! I'm not sure that that's the way to do it, and I'd love to hear another way if it's not, but it's just what I came up with off the top of my head at the time. :shrug:

Nice, it seems to have worked really well!

Just keep on going and I'll stay tuned :)

Well I'd love to work on this daily, cause if for no other reason it's a hell of a release and makes me feel so damn good! However, it's just going to have to be a slow build I guess, not like it's not been already. But as much as I try and want to make more progress, the more and more I try, the harder it seems to be. My life is just really that crazy!

That being said, I have a couple things to share. First the LED's. Some are maybe wondering which color I'm going with. Well I thin I'm going to go ahead and go with orange LED's around the amps, and I may also be doing something around the sub. Why orange, well the LED's on the amps themselves are orange, and if I go with a white or a blue like I had originally planned, I'm afraid it won't look right.

I do have a couple of thoughts however. One being that the Bit One is going to basically be the only piece that doesn't have orange LED's. The logo on the bit one is blue. Now, for me, this is kind of a problem. I'm sure it will look ok in the end, but I'm not sure I want it to be blue with orange LED's surrounding it. Also, I can't just not put the Acrylic with LED's around the Bit One cause if I do the sub, it will not look right if the Bit One wasn't surrounded too. If I do it white, again, it won't look right.

Now then I could go the easy route, and just surround everything with white LED's and maybe it'll look ok. However, that's just not my style! My mind is working, yes! My thinking is that I may take the Bit One apart, and switch the blue LED's to orange LED's. That would solve the problem for sure! Shouldn't really be too difficult to do. What do you guys think?

Next, I was thinking about other stuff as well. I'm leaving stuff the way it is for now, don't think it's changing. I know I have a history and a track record, but I'm serious right now, everything is staying the way it is. HOWEVER, I do still regret now, getting rid of that second sub. I know alot of people said don't sell it you're gonna want it again in the future, and no I didn't listen. It is what it is, I can't change it now. However, that's not going to stop me from seeing about it in the future. Like I said I'm leaving the single sub set up in there right now. I'm going to finish this build for sure, and I'm leaving it open for change or upgrade in the future.

So in wondering about it, I looked online this morning and the HDP1 is the same size as the HDP5. Given the situation in the back seat with the girls and music and their kindles, headphone amps etc, I think I could really go without the rear fill and cut it out all together and I'd be fine. I also went out and measured the amp rack drawer, and I have more than enough room in there to add in two HDP1's, removing the HDP5. Still provides enough space in between for wires and air travel. So the only change in layout would be to re make the cover panel for the amp rack.

Then of course I'd need to do the second sub in there. I was thinking about that and right now the Bit One is planned to go in that spot next to the existing sub. If I changed and went to two subs, then I'll build a separate enclosure the exact same as the first one. The bit one will move back to the trunk lid as originally designed. So not much in the way of layout is effected, but there will be some work.

My wife would be happy cause the HDP5 would most likely get saved and put into her car.

This is all the future if I decide to go there, but again, I'm sticking to the plan and finishing this current set up! Who knows maybe I'll just leave it and dump the extra money into the truck instead!

Lastly, I ordered the two headphone amps last week, forgot to mention that. They probably won't be here for another week or so. BTW, how is it that we have one day for New Years, and China get's three! WHAT THE FUNK IS THAT!?!? Anyway, that's what I'm waiting for. It's coming from China but won't ship till today, MAYBE!

The power is figured out, and I'm just waiting on the specs for the design so I can build that. I've got the ideas nailed down for the custom Kindle Fire mounts. And there's a lot more going on! I'm still going to do some final design diagrams so everyone can put all this together since it's such a confusing mess! But those won't be for a little bit!

Things are moving! Stay tuned!

Ok guys so here's the deal. I'm trying to figure this out so I can get my sub in the right enclosure etc.

I've done everything according to a tutorial that I found. Got it working and now I'm in the wave mode and I have no idea what I'm looking at. What is the objective of this program? Am I supposed to be trying to get the wave line at or below the red line, is it supposed to be a specific spot, what am I aiming for. If I could understand that, I could understand how to play with it.

The sub in question is a Hertz High Energy HX300D. It will be ran at 2 ohms (it's a dual 4ohm) and powered by an HDP1 (1000 x 1 @ 2ohms, 600 x 1 @ 4ohms). The RMS on the sub is 600 watts and the max is 1200 watts.

I did a quick enclosure design on Torres Box Calculator and came up with this:

NewDualEnclolsureSpecs.png

Then I plugged that into winISD and this is what Iv'e got going on. I'm posting this tab by tab going through the box. The peak is at 1.125 dB and 59.91 Hz.

Driver Tab

WinISDDriverTab.jpg

Box Tab

WinISDBoxTab.jpg

Vent Tab

WinISDVentTab.jpg

Plot Tab

WinISDPlotTab.jpg

Signal Tab

WinISDSignalTab.jpg

Here's the Hertz HX300D Manual by the way:

So can someone please help me understand this? Please?

The manual isn't there o.o

What you see there is your frequency response in a perfect world 1m in front of the enclosure. If you click the down arrow where is says Transfer Function Magnitude you can look at your air went velocity, driver excursion and group delay and such. Red line is just for a flat response reference point.

Also, you can bring the power up in the Signal tab. I guess it's usefull for looking at max excursion and air velosity.

And after cabin gain/canselation and all of the real world effects that curve will change dramastically at your headrest.

I remember something about a 12db/oktave increase in cabin gain from about 60-80hz and down, but don't take my word for it. It was probably just a really generic number to give you an idea of the dramatic effects in a car. But it would still do wonders for the low end extention of your sub, as right now that looks more like a midbass driver to me (in the situation the program models in 1m on axis empty space, i would guess) :pardon:

But remember, I'm also a noob :yahoo:

Read all 51 pages and wow your work is impressive.

As for the tablet dash install the guys at carman sound audio have done a ton

of ipad dash installs and have videos up if you need tips.

2015 F-150 Platnuim

Thanks! Always nice to see someone go through the whole thing. I know there's a lot of chatter to go through!

As far as the tablet build, thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I've been talking with Doug Bernards at SoundmanCarAudio.com and we've got it nailed down. I just have to get my ass out there and work on it.

The tutorial, made me think of it. I ordered my monitor yesterday for the center console. So as soon as that comes in, I'll get the equipment out and do an article based on what I've found out and how I'm doing things. So look for that in the next few weeks!

Won't ship till the end of this week! Chinese new year! REALLY, how do they get days and days for new year, and we get one! WTF!

Archived