How-To Fix Clipping In Songs & Find Their Peaks!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way with clipping. Once a song is clipped, reducing the amplitude will just make it quieter. Once the data is flat, it's clipped.

Best analogy off the top of my head- Take a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it with 6 gallons. now you have 5 gallons in the bucket and 1 on the floor. the one gallon is the clipped part. reducing what's in the bucket to 4 gallons won't bring that one off the floor back into the bucket.

Wow, that was actually kinda horrible lol. Anyways, the flat/clipped part is still there, just less than the 30db you can fit on a track.

Say the clipped part is equal to 35db, and only 30db fits. That top 5db is gone forever.

that is not correct, just because u remove the red lines doesnt mean you've accomplished your goal

data is lost, period once there are large flat spots. u cannot recover the sound of that clip, u can lower its amplitude but the song will sound similar.

sometimes all u need to do is just go to amplify and if its less than 1db needed to have no clipping its likely just mids and highs barely being pushed over the limit, no flat spots, just peaks hitting the 0db mark.

i cannot stress how important it is to look at the individual waveform for its shape to determine if its damaging, not dc offset red lines.

that "show clipping" feature is a deceiving bastad that people misunderstand. one ten thousandth of a second of clipping will turn red but will never be audible and will never create absurd blown explosion speakers. it just doesnt work like that.

something everyone forgets is that your sub gets a crossed over signal, as do your mids/highs. the original song might turn red but throw a low pass filter/high pass filter at 80hz @-18db and look what ur sub/mids/highs are actually getting. zoom in to see each wavelength, do not let red lines make u think there is horrible detrimental clipping (altho that IS present in mixtapes everyday everywhere). a tweeter getting an extra 3watts on rap music is nothing compared to the onslaught of rock music full of wretched shrieks, shrills, and cymbals that beat up a tweeter much more

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

so this is what happens when u zoom in and look at the waveform

(i turned off the "show clipping" since obviously its mega red at this point)

following the exact steps in the video. song is brother ali - champion

original

untitled1.jpg

-15db applied, notice the flat spots remaining

untitled2-6.jpg

after clip fix, notice the flat spots remaining and how it incorrectly reshaped the waveform

untitled3-2.jpg

untitled4-1.jpg

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Decaf please make a video tutorial on how to actually fix the clipping. I think we would all love to see it and learn how to fix clipping.

I have always used the video that this guy posted to fix my clipping but apparently ive been wasting my time lol. :)

LOL Decaf summed it up perfectly. I've already stated in his other thread that you can't fix the clipping, once its clipped its clipped. PEOPLE, STOP WORRYING ABOUT CLIPPING IN MUSIC, UNLESS ITS EXTREME TO WHERE IT DISTORTS (I.E. SWING MY DOOR). CLIPPED SIGNAL FROM THE HU/AMP IS WORSE THAN A CLIPPED SONG. BE SMART WITH THE VOLUME WHEN YOU KNOW A SONG CLIPS AND YOU WILL BE FINE. I'VE PLAYED TONS OF CLIPPED SONGS IN MY CAR, MY SUBS ARE STILL BEATING FINE. I CAN TELL WHEN ITS TOO MUCH AND YOU CAN TOO :)

Edited by wonderbreadSTS

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical