Fiberglass noob

What is wrong with the resin from home depot? Or better yet, what makes a resin good or bad? I used to the stuff from home depot (3M or Bondo can't remember now) and it seems to have worked fine.

Best way to put it, is that it is B stock resins.

Once you use quality resins, you would understand. Night and day differance.

The good resin is thinner and has an even consistancy from mix to mix. You will always know what your gettting.

The stuff from the hardware stores is thick. Imgine trying to spread honey compared to water.

You can soak the material much better, cheaper, with the good stuff.

Speaking of material. Old school knowledge and general cheapness say use fleece. BUT, it takes twice as much resin to completely soak it. Use a thinner material, like swimsuit material from the fabric stores. It stretches super easy for no wrinkles (key part of a job), and uses little resin to hold.

You MUST add mat to your project fro strength. Just plain resined material will be brittle. We have done test to prove this. But again. lazy people will skip it cause they assume resined fleece is strong.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

For the record, I did a sparetire tub so I didn't need fleece. I did use lots of mat :)

I didn't know the resin shouldn't be honey like in thickness and the resin I used was very honey like. It was also about the same price as the stuff linked above. Guess I know where I will be getting my fiberglassing materials next time.

Thanks for the explanation!

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Thanks guys Much help! i will be looking into it trying to make soome tweeter domes

What is wrong with the resin from home depot? Or better yet, what makes a resin good or bad? I used to the stuff from home depot (3M or Bondo can't remember now) and it seems to have worked fine.

Best way to put it, is that it is B stock resins.

Once you use quality resins, you would understand. Night and day differance.

The good resin is thinner and has an even consistancy from mix to mix. You will always know what your gettting.

The stuff from the hardware stores is thick. Imgine trying to spread honey compared to water.

You can soak the material much better, cheaper, with the good stuff.

Speaking of material. Old school knowledge and general cheapness say use fleece. BUT, it takes twice as much resin to completely soak it. Use a thinner material, like swimsuit material from the fabric stores. It stretches super easy for no wrinkles (key part of a job), and uses little resin to hold.

You MUST add mat to your project fro strength. Just plain resined material will be brittle. We have done test to prove this. But again. lazy people will skip it cause they assume resined fleece is strong.

2001 is300Headunit: JVC KD-X50BTHighs/Mids: StockHigh/Mids Amp: NASubwoofer: DC Audio LV4 12"Subwoofer Box: DLDesigns Box tuned to 32HzSubwoofer Amp: AQ 2200DElectrical: NA Performance:SRT Racing intake with ECUHKS Super Dragger 2BC Racing Coilovers

BC 264 stage 2 cams

full head build with BC Valves, Retainers, and springs

Dezod Green Race Header Comming soon/Thinking about<p>Electrical: XS power under the hood (Suggestions Welcome)​Performance: BC Cams,Cam gears, maybe GTE Swap down the lineMy YouTube Channel Subscribe and i'll return the favor!Xbox Live Team Website.My First Official Box Build.My FacebooK

im not quite sure ware to look?

Get fg resin and matt from us composites .com

2001 is300Headunit: JVC KD-X50BTHighs/Mids: StockHigh/Mids Amp: NASubwoofer: DC Audio LV4 12"Subwoofer Box: DLDesigns Box tuned to 32HzSubwoofer Amp: AQ 2200DElectrical: NA Performance:SRT Racing intake with ECUHKS Super Dragger 2BC Racing Coilovers

BC 264 stage 2 cams

Dezod Green Race Header Comming soon/Thinking about<p>Electrical: XS power under the hood (Suggestions Welcome)​Performance: BC Cams,Cam gears, maybe GTE Swap down the lineMy YouTube Channel Subscribe and i'll return the favor!Xbox Live Team Website.My First Official Box Build.My FacebooK

I was also wondering what the best way to go about doing it is also? any tips/tricks. other supply's i might need?

BC 264 stage 2 cams

There is a sticky at the top of this section, supply links etc to some good sites where you can get stuff.

get your yellow pages out and find a local auto body supply store. There a also tons of threads just like this one. As well as build threads you can probably pickup a few tips. Also might be able to find more useful info on fiberglassforums. Good luck :good:

Get out there and get ya hands dirty. 8)

Edited by Rell

There is a sticky at the top of this section, supply links etc to some good sites where you can get stuff.

get your yellow pages out and find a local auto body supply store. There a also tons of threads just like this one. As well as build threads you can probably pickup a few tips. Also might be able to find more useful info on fiberglassforums. Good luck :good:

Get out there and get ya hands dirty. 8)

BC 264 stage 2 cams

Is it just me or are any of you guys having trouble finding the BP440 on the uscomposites site?

I see 404 but no 440.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

I hear they changed the part number.

Just call and ask them for their replacment for b440 premium resin

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz