Second Skin Audio

xl 15 aeroport box

In my opinion I would go with a 4 cube after displacement box. The ports that I would use in this case would be 3 4" aeros instead of the single 6. There are a couple of reasons for the 4's instead of the 6" like they are 9.42sqin of port more then the 6", and it increases the port area per cuft to 9.42sqin over the 6.8sqin that you have. This will increase output and efficiency. Also I saw someone mention that the 6" will be close to the back wall of the box and that's absolutely correct. Whatever the width of the port is how far away you need to keep it from a wall on either end be it in front of the port or behind it. If it's a 6" port then you need at least 6" from the end flare to the back wall of the box. If you use 4" ports you will have extra room, but will actually need to make them longer then the 6" port since they have more port area and I've suggested a .5cuft smaller box.

There's a few things that you can do to fix this. Either make the box a little deeper to help get the added depth that you'll need. Or you can increase the box volume to help with the length of the port being shorter, but I already believe that 4.5 is too much volume for the woofer to begin with. It's up to you, but no matter what port configuration that you use it would be best to put it closer to the driver's side of the box instead of being centered between the woofer and driver's side wall of the box. This allows the wave inside the box to develop more before exiting, and when you throw it right in the middle where you have it in the design it may not reach it's full potential creating pressure inside the enclosure before it's forced out into the cabin of the vehicle. I've personally tested several enclosures and port placement and I've found that 99% of the time as far away from the woofer as you can set the port up is going to result in the enclosure being louder.

^this. the port(s) should be against the outer wall of the box & u should have 1-1.5x the width of the port away from the rear wall of the box. :drinks:

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

i was told it the same distance from the wall as the port is big so............. if u have 4" port its 4"s from the wall if u have a 6" port its 6" from the wall and so on but if this is not correct some feel free to tell me cause i would like to know as well. i heard if u dont put it far nuff away u will get port noise and im not sure of the ether

that is true