Second Skin Audio

aero port design

Im building a 5cf ground pounding box for 2 12 fi bl's and am wanting to use aero ports but for me to use a 8 inch port the port is longer than the box so i must go with a 6 inch will this be ok it only gives me 28 inchs of port area

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

That's why I don't like aeros. To get a good amount of port area you need to use 90* elbows and custom make them to be 20"+ long. A single 6" aero would be the absolute smallest I would go.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

4 of them would be win :0

if i used 4 6inch aero's they would be 63 inchs long and would hit the back wall turn down hit the bottom wall then turn again and hit the baffle

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

why couldnt you use a elbow on a aero port? most slot ports have a 90 degree in them....

You can, but its a pain in the ass as they do not offer 90 degree'd aeros. You have to use a PVC elbow, reinforce it with something, then use more pipe to get the desired length. With a slot port you just cut, screw, and glue.

Couple things come to mind...

First off, why bother with an Areoport. ABS or PVC pipe works exactly the same. You can even put a flared end on it. I used a 6" PVC port for my two 12"s in this box, and to flare the end, I simply shoved it down on top of a bowling ball, after heating the edge with a propane torch. Came out fantastic :)

119702530.jpg

The other thing is, a port does not have to be completely "inside" of the box. It can protrude out a little, a lot, or even be completely "outside" of the box. It will still work exactly the same.... Only difference is that then it won't steal airspace from your enclosure (or if part way out, it won't steal as much).

My 6" port protrudes about 6" from my box, to give proper clearance on the end inside the box.

Oh BTW, my latest box (build in progress) will be 7.5 cu ft net, and will have three 6" diameter ports. In "normal music tuning mode" {tuned to 35 or 37hz} the ports will protrude only about 2" from the box > But this is so I will be able attach 20" extensions all out side the box, and drop my tuning from 37hz, to 25hz, at any time, in one minute flat ;) whenever I get into a super deep, techno bass kind of mood :)

Peace,

Fish

PS, My best advice is, start thinking a little more "outside of the box" :) pun intended...