Second Skin Audio

Do you seal the inside of your enclosures ???

Fish Chris

mdf breathes, they use vacuums to pick up stacks of it unfastened. if you want a 100% sealed box you need to use resin or other nonporous coating to seal the panels as well as seams, the wood glue makes the seams solid but it doesn't do anything for the porosity of the wood it's self.

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not me :) I'm from Nor Cal.

And BTW, if I was banned, why would I still be able to post ? I'd think that would be a very simple matter for a moderator to fix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh but hey, asnyway, this is what I was talking about >

mdf breathes, they use vacuums to pick up stacks of it unfastened. if you want a 100% sealed box you need to use resin or other nonporous coating to seal the panels as well as seams

Not this >

Resin alone doesnt add any strength to your box. Anyone that is thinking about smoothing the inside of their box, is wasting time

Hmmm,

fish

Resin alone doesnt add any strength to your box. Anyone that is thinking about smoothing the inside of their box, is wasting time, unless they compete... My whole enclosure is painted and is completely smooth... I did this for one of 2 reasons... 1 It added decibels... 2 it was getting painted to look pretty...

Ray, why would someone ban the fish mister... Lol... Chris, you the same chris from colorado?

Hey TheyDontWant, I stand corrected. I did a little research on the matter, and your guess of only 1 psi is pretty accurate for the typical ported enclosure. 2 or 3 psi is quite a bit, and 5 lbs is in the realm of 170db db drag national champions.

Hmmmm.

Pretty surprising.

Fish

Now this I would really have to doubt. Of course you could spray a spot, let it dry, and feel with your hand if it makes any fibers try to lift. I don't think it will.

But even so, I still have to believe the whole idea behind sealing the inside surface of the box, has more to do with making it so air cannot be pushed in and out through the particles that make up the MDF, moreso that making the inside slick, so there is less drag. That might matter a little more with the port.

Just MPO, but anyway...

Fish

of course it'll make the MDF fibres lift, haven't you tried painting MDF before?

the pressure inside the box is going to be something like 1 psi, its not going to leak out of the MDF.

Archived