Second Skin Audio

Multi-tuned port enclosure ???

Anybody here ever do this ?

Here's what I'm talking about....

Pretty much every tuned port enclosure I've ever built (about 10 of them) ended up leaving me with trade offs :( The thing is, I listen to a lot of normal music, with lots of tight, clean, guitar and drum bass in the upper range of say 35 to 50hz. A tuning of 32 or 35hz would be great for that.

But then, quite often, I will get onto a bass-head kick where I want as much quaking low 25hz bass, as I can possibly get. A port tuning of 25hz would be better for that.

So, when building a box, I've always struggled to try and fine a happy medium.

But with my next box, I'm going to try something different.

This box will be 7.5 cu ft net, for two 15" Dayton HO's. A couple different programs (+ my trusty old port tuning nomogram) show that I can get a tuning of about 35hz, with three, 6" diameter ports, of about 16" in length.

So, my plan is to leave about 2 or 3 inches of each of the three ports protruding from the top of the box. Then, with the help of some 6" ABS couplers, I will be able to quickly and easily shove extensions onto the existing ports, increasing the length to whatever I want, whenever I want.

The tuning programs show that adding 24" to each of the ports, will drop my tuned Port frequency, from 35hz, to 25 hz.... just like that ;)

So, if I'm going on a long trip, and playing normal music, for hours on end, windows up, extensions off. for nice, tight, clean 35hz and up, bass.

But if I'm going to go kick it around my town, windows down, and playing a bunch of stupid low techno bass, pop on the extensions, and crank on that $#!+ ;)

Do you see any potential problems with this idea ? Ever heard of this being done, or tried it yourself ?

I'm actually pretty confident in the whole thing,

Hmmmm,

Fish

Interchangeable ports have been around for a while. Low tuning for daily, high tuning for comps. Most are just done with slot ports, although the same idea is achievable with round ports. :good:

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Right on ! That's actually good news. I didn't really think I would be the first person to have tried this.

The thing is though, instead of low tuning for daily driving, and higher tuning for SPL comps, mine would be like "medium low" for daily driving, and "super low" for deep, techno bass.

As I often say, very high SPL's are great ! ......if they are loud below 30hz.... and better yet, if they are loud below 24hz ;) Those super high SPL rides, that are hitting at like 45 to 50 hz are just too much for my ears. And besides all that, I'm probably the least competitive guy on the planet anyway. Only person I ever try to outdo, is myself.

Peace,

Fish

Interchangeable ports have been around for a while. Low tuning for daily, high tuning for comps. Most are just done with slot ports, although the same idea is achievable with round ports. :good:

you can have two different size different tuned boxes (a 6th order)

TEAM DC

Everything is a 150 on th earometer

Well I guess punching a woman is a good way to test your strength! You never know how strong you are until you cold-cock a woman in the head and break that bitches jaw.

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

Well now, since you should mention it.....

"IF" the subs (two or more) were seperated, and one was tuned lower than the other, yes, I think that would probably be an epic fail.

On the other hand, remember when I talked about extending all 3 of my ports ? Well guess what, if I only extended 1 or 2 of them, it wouldn't hurt anything. You would simply end up with the average length of the ports combined. So, if you had one 16" port, and two were extended to 40", the box would simply act as if it had three, 32" ports.

What this means, is that I would not always have to change my tuning from 35hz, straight to 25hz. I could add one extension, and drop the tuning from 35hz, to like 32hz... add one more, and drop it farther to 28... add the 3rd, and be down to 25hz.... if it ever really mattered. Probably wouldn't though, in the real world.

Peace,

Fish

Tune one sub 35hz and one 25hz I'n same box

Its not a problem but you just have to make sure the extensions don't fall off lol.. Use gorilla tape! works great.

Here's a pic of my setup with a removable port. All i have to do is take the bolts off and i can switch the ports

Image08052011130149.jpg

1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo - Summer Ride(No system yet, lookin to get it up to 450-500 horse first!)2006 Chevy Malibu - Daily DriverDC Level 5 15", 2 APSM-1500's, 3.88 cu. ft. tuned to 32hz1992 Honda Prelude - SOLD2 18" TC 3hp Woofers on a Crescendo BC3500.1d, 12.7 cu. ft. tuned to 35hz7r.png