Second Skin Audio

*Type of wood used for box*

most people use MDF for making boxes, because it apparently must resonate the sound "better" is what i have researched, but then i also see some people use birch, or maybe even oak ply, or maybe some other type of typical wood you would find at your local lumber yard

what i am trying to figure out, is what is the difference between using MDF, and maybe birch. after Messing around with MDF, for a while, i found it to be cardboard like, and when u press to hard when you are drilling, the underside starts to split. MDF is very fragile in a sense, and birch is a strong hardwood.

Birch is hard and strong , but may put more of a dent in your pocket than MDF. What i am really trying to figure out is, would the MDF be a better wood for boxes, because it may resonate the soundbetter? what is the real difference?

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know the difference in sound properties between the two woods but i do know that birch is normally used because it is lighter and slightly stiffer than mdf although about $15 more per sheet i believe.

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

MDF is a bit cheaper, heavier, and works great for what we use it for. Birch is a bit more costly, lighter, and also works great.

I've also seen a box made of average plywood, it was shit :P

Edited by Supercharged DCs

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

ive used birch and mdf. birch is a little more sturdy i believe. it doesnt fall apart as much if it gets a little wet. unlike mdf. but its lighter as well. plus i get it cheaper than mdf

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

MDF is a bit cheaper, heavier, and works great for what we use it for. Birch is a bit more costly, lighter, and also works great.

I've also seen a box made of average plywood, it was shit :P

:owned: ! lol haha i beleive that... seen it done before haha...... so birch would actually be a better choice?

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Personally have only used MDF, but I've never installed anything over 2000 watts and the boxes were sturdy enough with double walls and proper bracing. If I ever put more than that into an install, I'll definitely go birch ply. Boxes can get fucking heavy with MDF. Cutting weight and getting stronger wood is more than worth it for larger installations. For 1 or 2 woofers on moderate power though, I personally think the money can be better spent elsewhere.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Personally have only used MDF, but I've never installed anything over 2000 watts and the boxes were sturdy enough with double walls and proper bracing. If I ever put more than that into an install, I'll definitely go birch ply. Boxes can get fucking heavy with MDF. Cutting weight and getting stronger wood is more than worth it for larger installations. For 1 or 2 woofers on moderate power though, I personally think the money can be better spent elsewhere.

=P im runnin around close to 2500 rms, so shuld be ok haha.... hah i wanna try birch this winter =P

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Someone may say different but for my perception, if you are building a box, ideally you dont want it to resonate at all. So if you build a solid box, out of birch, mdf, or a regular plywood, they should all sound the same. Then it comes down to cost, durability, and weight

Team NorthWestSPL

ive used both mdf and birch, and money aside, the birch is the way to go. much lighter, and in my experience cutting it puts off a LOT less sawdust, maybe not important to everyone, but i like my garage clean haha

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD