Sonic Electronix

Designing a box for my Kicker CompVR

The bass head in me is screaming for more volume. I know my subwoofer is nothing compared to what most people run in their rides... but I love it. Currently

I have a 12" Kicker CompVR in a 1.48 cubic foot sealed box. It sounds good and can get loud, but I'm looking to build a vented enclosure for it. Before I even go about building a box, is it possible to get some SQ out of a ported box? I listen to pretty much anything when it comes to music, but a large part of my collection is country.

My main question for this thread is would someone be able to hook me up with a box design for this subwoofer... either with a link or by designing it for me please?

Thank you very much!

a flat frequency response = better sq. ported boxes peak, thats why theyre louder than sealed boxes. if the peak is BIG, it will get real loud but wont sound very good

id add a 2nd sub and run them sealed if you want to keep the sq you have but want it louder

Alpine 9887, Oz 180CS, RF R500X1D, 12" RE SE

Go download a program called WinIsd and input the t/s parameter of your sub. The program will suggest a box size as well as tuning frequency. The program will also provide a frequency response graph to give you an idea of what the sub will sound like in that box. However, the program does not accurately predict cabin gain as this would be nearly impossible because all vehicle have different acoustic properties. After you have an idea of what size enclosure you want and the tuning frequency, download Torres box calculator on this site and input various dimensions until you are satisfied with a design.

If this sounds too complicated, get in contact with RAM Designs and he can hook you up with a nice design.

:drinks:

Edited by Jeep727

a flat frequency response = better sq. ported boxes peak, thats why theyre louder than sealed boxes. if the peak is BIG, it will get real loud but wont sound very good

id add a 2nd sub and run them sealed if you want to keep the sq you have but want it louder

Okay thanks for the info! I like the sound of ported boxes, so I'll try one out. If I don't like the sound, I will add a second sub in a sealed box.

yes u can still get a nice clean output from a ported enclosure and it will also get louder ported most likely

Good info thanks!

Go download a program called WinIsd and input the t/s parameter of your sub. The program will suggest a box size as well as tuning frequency. The program will also provide a frequency response graph to give you an idea of what the sub will sound like in that box. However, the program does not accurately predict cabin gain as this would be nearly impossible because all vehicle have different acoustic properties. After you have an idea of what size enclosure you want and the tuning frequency, download Torres box calculator on this site and input various dimensions until you are satisfied with a design.

If this sounds too complicated, get in contact with RAM Designs and he can hook you up with a nice design.

:drinks:

Okay thanks. Sorry to sound like a noob, but is t/s?

Thiele/Small (t/s) commonly refers to a set of electromechanical parameters that define the specified low frequency performance of a loudspeaker driver. These parameters are published in specification sheets by driver manufacturers so that designers have a guide in selecting off-the-shelf drivers for loudspeaker designs. Many of the parameters are strictly defined only at the resonant frequency, but the approach is generally applicable in the frequency range where the diaphragm motion is largely pistonic, i.e. when the entire cone moves in and out as a unit without cone breakup.

Thiele/Small (t/s) commonly refers to a set of electromechanical parameters that define the specified low frequency performance of a loudspeaker driver. These parameters are published in specification sheets by driver manufacturers so that designers have a guide in selecting off-the-shelf drivers for loudspeaker designs. Many of the parameters are strictly defined only at the resonant frequency, but the approach is generally applicable in the frequency range where the diaphragm motion is largely pistonic, i.e. when the entire cone moves in and out as a unit without cone breakup.

Okay thanks! I'm having a bit of a problem though when I go to enter in the parameters. It keeps saying consistency error with Qes, Qms, and Qts even though they are entered correctly according to the owner's manual.

http://assets.sonicelectronix.com/manuals/kicker/2007ComVR.pdf