Second Skin Audio

Port area question

How much port area is too much or too little port area?? I had a box for 2 12 inch alpine type r's with 48 aquare inches of port and a friend built a box for 2 DD 2512's with 60 inches and it still wasn't enough. Is there a rule of thumb or formula or something to figure it out for each specific woofer??

12-16 square inches per cube of airspace is the general guideline. Use Torres caclulator.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

What exactly do you mean by "wasn't enough"? Were you having port noise issues?

I wondering the same thing! What exactly makes you think that it's wasn't enough? 60" doesn't sound like it wouldn't be enough of he made a box that is for 2 12's somewhere around 4ft^3

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

It wasn't port noise from what I could tell. We put it on the term lab and it put up a 141.2 but the o scope was showing that it was clipped to shit. And we didn't know what it was from so I guessed that it had too much port area and not enough net volume.

The you oscope the amp????

2003 Grand AM GTELECTRICAL SYSTEMAlternatorstockBatteryFront s3400back d3100Wireinglots of 0gaHEAD UNITpionner 7500xSPEAKERS(4)Prv 6mb200(2)prv 10mr1000AMPLIFIRLS(1)Zxi80.4(2)Brx1200.4SUBWOOFER(2) MTX 9500BOX3.41 cuft 63sq port 34hzLINKSYoutube.com/reggieb198895

People generally run 12-16 square inches per cube for a slot port and 9-13 inches per cube for flared ports. However, I am running one 10" sub in a box with 19.5 inches per cube and it sounds good. If you choose to run a large port are like I am, mount the sub far away from the internal port opening to prevent any unloading possibilities.

It wasn't from the gains. I went with a friend and we metered two different boxes in two different cars. One box was his dual 10 inch alpine type r's with about 12 inches per cube and then his dd 2512s with about 17.5 per cube. The alpine box was fine in both cars, but the dd box was clipped like I have never seen before. By the way the box was a single chamber and gave about a total of 3.5 cubes net for both subs which is really undersized for those 12s in my opinion. Still not sure what the problem is thou lol.